NH likely to pass "Spousal Unions" for Gays

Rabble Rabble " gay marriage " Rabble.

The media has won. People like me don't care anymore.

statler said:
Eh, the religion angle is a bit of a crutch methinks. There are plenty of openly gay and deeply religious people (including a gay bishop) and many many more deeply religious people who are supportive of gay rights.

But you are right, a lot of people use their religious beliefs to hide behind, because it is eaiser than just saying they think gay sex is 'icky'. To be honest, I really believe that is what it all boils down to. People think gay sex is gross. But it's hard to discriminate based on that, so they come up all sorts of crazy 'family values' and 'killing traditional marriage' arguments.
I don't know, the whole thing just annoys me.

you know something I never thought about it in as simple terms as that before, you may be right about that. And it just dawned on me you probably are right because the same laws that used to be in place to make criminal the act in question here applied to men and women as well. So perhaps it is the "act" instead of the "actors" that people are against.

statler said:
Eh, the religion angle is a bit of a crutch methinks. There are plenty of openly gay and deeply religious people (including a gay bishop) and many many more deeply religious people who are supportive of gay rights.

But you are right, a lot of people use their religious beliefs to hide behind, because it is eaiser than just saying they think gay sex is 'icky'. To be honest, I really believe that is what it all boils down to. People think gay sex is gross. But it's hard to discriminate based on that, so they come up all sorts of crazy 'family values' and 'killing traditional marriage' arguments.
I don't know, the whole thing just annoys me.

The thing i hate about those arguments is that the whole killing traditional marriage argument is totally devoid of any legitimacy when 50% of traditional marriages end in divorce.

bosdevelopment said:

I don't think it's the media that has won. I think it's gay people.

PerfectHandle said:
bosdevelopment said:

same thing.

btw statler, it's not the same as the water fountain thing. If I were a legislator and the law said that black people couldn't drink from water fountains, and there were two opposing bills - one that required every water fountain to have an extra, equally good and well maintained spout for blacks, and one that mandated one water fountain for all, I would push strongly for the one for all bill, but if it was killed, I would say the other bill would be better than nothing.

and, because i know i'll get comments, no, im not serious about the "same thing" comment.

^ The media is gay? :roll:

This is also a big win for the trade unions that put their time and treasure into "Marriage Equality' because they feel it is an issue of economic justice.

DudeUrSistersHot said:
PerfectHandle said:
bosdevelopment said:

same thing.

btw statler, it's not the same as the water fountain thing. If I were a legislator and the law said that black people couldn't drink from water fountains, and there were two opposing bills - one that required every water fountain to have an extra, equally good and well maintained spout for blacks, and one that mandated one water fountain for all, I would push strongly for the one for all bill, but if it was killed, I would say the other bill would be better than nothing.

and, because i know i'll get comments, no, im not serious about the "same thing" comment.

I'll buy that. for once I dont see anything to disagree with.

House panel endorses N.H. civil unions

By BEVERLEY WANG
Associated Press Writer

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- A House panel took a historic step Thursday, endorsing the creation of civil unions for same-sex couples in New Hampshire.

The House Judiciary Committee recommended the passage of civil unions by a vote of 15-5 - a bipartisan approval of the bill to allow same-sex couples "to enter spousal unions and have the same rights, responsibilities, and obligations as married couples."

The decision prompted Rep. Marlene DeChane, D-Barrington, to hum a tune outside the Legislative Office Building where lawmakers met.

"Happy days are here again," said DeChane, who is openly gay. "I am very pleased that we have taken this step."

DeChane had sponsored a competing marriage bill, which the panel voted to convert into a committee to study gay marriage. Her co-sponsor, Rep. Mo Baxley, D-Andover, fought the civil unions bill, describing it as separate-but-equal discrimination. But DeChane called civil unions a step forward.

"This gives us respect and credibility in the state," she said.

Others agreed.

"Give me a break. We have been segregated for a long time and this brings us a step closer," said Rep. Ed Butler, D-Hart's Location.

Also openly gay, Butler and his partner were among the same-sex couples who challenged a 1913 Massachusetts state law prohibiting out-of-state residents from marrying if the union would not be permitted in their home state. As a member of a New Hampshire marriage commission two years ago, he voted against recommending civil unions because he favors marriage equality.

"I understand the advocates' positions that this is not equality, but this is a heck of a step in the right direction."

If civil unions pass, New Hampshire will join Vermont, New Jersey and Connecticut among states allowing the unions.

But the bill's future isn't certain. A vote by the full House on civil unions is expected next week; it also must pass the Senate, where Republican Sen. Bob Clegg has proposed legislation for "contractual cohabitation" giving gays - and other adults who don't choose to marry - the same legal rights as married couples.

Gov. John Lynch opposes gay marriage but supports providing health care benefits to state workers' same-sex partners. He has said he wants more study of granting homosexual couples legal rights in civil unions, but has not taken a public position on whether he supports unions.

"The governor supports strengthening families equally and he believes the state can do a better job doing that," said spokesman Colin Manning.

Judiciary Committee members considered several other bills concerning same-sex couples Thursday.

The committee recommended killing a separate civil unions bill, a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage and a bill concerning religious officiants and marriage ceremonies.

They also debated a bill proposing to repeal a 2004 law banning out-of-state marriages not recognized in New Hampshire. The ban was conceived in response to the legalization of same-sex marriage that year in Massachusetts.

Repeal supporters say it is needed to eliminate "divorce at the border" for legally married same-sex couples, but opponents worried about wider consequences of eliminating the ban.

"I'm basically concerned about marriages coming in from Saudi Arabia, where a man can come in with his four wives and children," said Rep. Nancy Elliott, R-Merrimack.

N.H. House Easily Passes Civil Unions Bill

The New Hampshire House of Representatives passed a bill today granting same-sex couples the "same rights, responsibilities and obligations as married couples" in the form of civil unions. The vote was 243 to 129.

The House also approved a commission to study Gay Marriage in New Hampshire. The vote was 210 to 160.

There's some irony in here somewhere...
Outside the Statehouse, Louise Broughton's cardboard signs broadcast an ominous message:

"Homosexuality is a crime against the planet. Save our Earth."

"A friend from our church made them," she said.

Full Article
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2007/04/04/nh_house_passes_civil_unions/

Back