NH/Maine Metros Safe

Smuttynose

Reaction score
New rankings for America's Safest and Most Dangerous Cities and Metropolitan Areas were released today. Maine and New Hampshire fared really well in the Metropolitan Area category, where 4 NH and Maine metros made the Top 25 list. 344 Metro areas in all were considered.

Safest (Overall) Metro Areas

3. Bangor, Maine
11. Portsmouth - Rockingham County, NH
23. Portland, Maine
24. Manchester - Nashua, NH

http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm#25

very interesting that manchester and portland border one another. wonder how big the difference is between the two. bangor is a shocker, though, cause it struck me as a rough town last time i visited. but i guess
metro" would include all of those nice little villages that surround it in the country (if there are any!). there is virtually no serious crime whatsoever outside of portland/westbrook/south portland on a regular basis, and the metro includes about a billion towns, so that must explain it. good for manchester.

Dang. I thought my hometown was getting better. STL is the most dangerous?!?! :( Well that just one more reason why my parents wanted us to move up here.

Patrick said:
Do you like it better in New England, aside from crime?
I do actually. Its much cleaner up here. The landscape is much better than STL as well.

M. Brown said:
Patrick said:
Do you like it better in New England, aside from crime?
I do actually. Its much cleaner up here. The landscape is much better than STL as well.

I recently was down in North Carolina for a couple job interviews and I was really expecting to like it down there. But the sprawl is insane, and a lot of the downtowns are depressed. The area I was in was so flat, and there's a lot fewer trees. The beaches are beautiful, and Wilmington, NC is a great, hopping city, but for the most part I like the diversity of the landscapes up here better.

Smutty -- if you dont mind my asking, what age group do you belong to? I, too, am looking for employment, and am about to seriously start the job-interview part, but I am kinda all over the place in terms of a specific field in which im interested (in other words, i'm clueless), so i was wondering if you were in the same boat as me, or if you already had a career path in mind. Either way, I just thought Id ask cause I like getting other people's in-put and ideas.

And, as far as the south goes, I cant believe orlando made the top 25 most dangerous cities list!!??!! I would go through any neighborhood in orlando before walking alone in DOT at night. Orlando is a big plaza. but one that i like nonetheless.

grittys457 said:
http://orlando.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

OVERALL: (371 cities)

SAFEST 25:

MOST DANGEROUS 25:

St. Louis, MO

Detroit, MI

Flint, MI

Compton, CA

Camden, NJ

Birmingham, AL

Cleveland, OH