North Shore Transit Improvement Initiative: US-1 moved, new BL branch, Everett subway

This is my idea and design for rerouting the NE Expressway/Tobin Bridge into the western part of Chelsea. The Tobin Bridge replacement would be a double-deck bridge, 4 lanes each direction, 3 general lanes plus a bus/HOV lane. The bus/HOV lanes would extend from Chelsea to just north of City Square where the Expressway emerges from the City Sq tunnels. Slip ramps for busses would connect the bus lanes with Chelsea Street, and dedicated bus/HOV lanes down the center of the N Washington Street Bridge would enable express bus service from Boston to Chelsea.

The benefits of removing the Tobin Bridge/NE Expressway from the center of Chelsea are obvious, and Chelsea would also gain a dedicated busway to/from Boston.

neexwayreroute.jpg

Last edited:
Always love your fantasy maps. Are you using just some ordinary tools in a editing software, or are you using anything special?

No, just MS Paint.

I do have Bentley MicroStation cadd software on my workplace computer, but not on my home computer. I'm a project manager and a registered civil engineer, with a civil engineering/highway design background.

I really like this proposal-- no exits for the navy yard or charlestown though? If you need space for the exit ramps, just demolish the public housing.

Also, demolish chelsea HS? Or would it get moved into the old footprint of Rt 1?

The route doesn't go through Chelsea High School.

Ramps off the Tobin Bridge wouldn't be practical due to the height of the bridge.

Back