North Station Gateway | 251 Causeway St | Bulfinch Triangle

Its a nice proposal but I find it annoying that it calls for the demolition of an already nicely built out block.
I agree. I'd much prefer if only a small section of the site was demolished where the tower portion would be.

Its a nice proposal but I find it annoying that it calls for the demolition of an already nicely built out block.
Agree. Especially since there's a giant parking garage right across the street that is begging to be moved underground and redeveloped. This thing is on a huge piece of land and I have no idea why it's still standing.
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.15.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.21.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.15.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 3.15.08 PM.png
    5 MB · Views: 5
It's still standing because it's in the North End, it's used by tourists and residents alike, the owner probably doesn't need to sell, and developing ANYTHING in the North End is a nightmare. There is a 0.0% chance that anything meaningful gets placed here. There would be a revolution if someone tried to put a high rise here.

That's a shame because it looks like absolute shit, and parking can go underground, like it did with a similar garage for the Alcott. To ascribe any sort of historical significance to this thing is a mistake.

If the developer came with a building north Enders went “oh that’s beautiful” I bet it would be a much easier path. This non descript bore isn’t getting far

Well, a reasoned discussion on what is place-breaking encroachment on the North End? ought to ensue. This really is one block from north station, which has been a major transit hub for at least 150 years as well, and not in the historic part of the North End you refer to. I think most of us know this is not place-breaking encroachment.

I agree with Equilibria - - this really does hulk over the North End.

BP, I get when you say "This really is one block from north station" - - the problem is that it is one block in the wrong direction.

I love tall buildings as much as almost anyone, but this should be built in Rappaport City in the West End Village area - - not gloaming over the North End.

In the right places, give me 40-50 more skyscraper residential towers in Boston. Plus, Chiofaro's tower at the Aquarium garage.

Last edited:
My first architecture job back in 1987, was located in the building highlighted in red: Steffian Bradley Architects

That building is nothing special, and I wouldn't mourn the loss, but the nice brick building to the right shouldn't be demolished. I really wish they could at least incorporate the facade of the older brick building. I'm not wild about this current proposal, but I do like the curved low-rise portion that would replace my old architecture firm. :)

1727469471615.png

I agree with Equilibria - - this really does hulk over the North End.

BP, I get when you say "This really is one block from north station" - - the problem is that it is one block in the wrong direction.

I love tall buildings as much as almost anyone, but this should be built in Rappaport City in the West End Village area - - not gloaming over the North End.

In the right places, give me 40-50 more skyscraper residential towers in Boston. Plus, Chiofaro's tower at the Aquarium garage.
I hear ya, shmess; I just personally feel pretty closely acclimated with this area and just don't view this site as "North End" or even really intruding on it. To me, North Washington street forms a pretty distinct neighborhood transition, and this site's on the other side of that.

causeway-1.png

Google Maps

If this were on the opposite side of North Washington, I'd completely agree with you.
Also, for this reason, it's why I don't agree that the low rise parking garage site, discussed up thread, is a better location -- that, to me, is mentally in the North End and a whole world's worth of difference. (That's not to say one shouldn't do a lot better in the parking garage site for something else.)

^Addendum: A large part of why I feel, spatially/cognitively, like this is spaced away from the North End is that horrific intersection at N. Washington / Causeway is like the freaking grand canyon. I can count years of my life as a pedestrian/cyclist where I've been stuck at that thing - and the North End feels far away across a vast gulf when you're standing at Causeway/N. Washington on the Bullfinch Triangle side.

^Addendum: A large part of why I feel, spatially/cognitively, like this is spaced away from the North End is that horrific intersection at N. Washington / Causeway is like the freaking grand canyon. I can count years of my life as a pedestrian/cyclist where I've been stuck at that thing - and the North End feels far away across a vast gulf when you're standing at Causeway/N. Washington on the Bullfinch Triangle side.

Fair enough. I still think this will get dramatically cut in height for the reasons above, and believe it SHOULD for those reasons, but I appreciate your points too. I still feel the blocks on the other side of North Station should see MULTIPLE resi towers.

Yea I agree with the general sentiment that knocking down this nice existing building for a tower is kind of unnecessary, especially when theres still a few empty lots scattered around like this one:

IMG_0885.jpeg

Its directly next door to a 600’ tower so would be much easier to push through the planning process as well.

Back