North Washington St Bridge

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
I just realized that they took their design cue from the architectural masterpiece that is the TD Garden.
To me it seems an echo of the current bridge's center span. But really (and mostly) just a way to break up what's going to be a long bike/walk across the bridge into 3 phases rather than one long windswept span.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
How many looked at this graphic in the approval process and no one caught the missing h in warf? :unsure: The replacement bridge looks fine and is a nice complement to the Zakim. How realistic is it though that trees will be planted on it?
The trees being part of the full replacement bridge is a key part of the design so I'd be surprised if they dropped them. They're making the sidewalk extra wide in that area and made a big point in the presentation about how unique it was and how they wanted to make a place mid bridge where people wanted to stop and sit and enjoy the view.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
The trees being part of the full replacement bridge is a key part of the design so I'd be surprised if they dropped them. They're making the sidewalk extra wide in that area and made a big point in the presentation about how unique it was and how they wanted to make a place mid bridge where people wanted to stop and sit and enjoy the view.
They will plant the trees, and they will be dead after the first deep freeze of the next winter. A planter box up in the air like that, with air flow on all sides, is going to freeze, killing the roots.

FK4

Reaction score
They will plant the trees, and they will be dead after the first deep freeze of the next winter. A planter box up in the air like that, with air flow on all sides, is going to freeze, killing the roots.
Sadly true. Since this is a heavily used corridor for pedestrians, I think they should consider an alternative to keep people warm as they cross the Charles between Boston and Charlestown. I am including my own proposal below:

stellarfun

Reaction score
^^^Not necessarily.

When water freezes, it gives up heat. The air temperature around a bridge over water would likely be warmer than if the same bridge was over land. The temperature of ocean water must fall to 28.8 F before it freezes.