North Washington St Bridge

That picture is months old. All that temp stuff is gone.
Oh. So in your post, you were comparing an old render to a picture of the unfinished bridge? That's confusing.

Anyways, when I walked through maybe a couple of weeks ago, there was still clearly finishing work to be done. I assumed they'd do it all when the west side is also ready to go. I don't go by that way much, though. If you've got a more recent picture of the completed east side, please share.

Pretty crazy how they can build the sides of the bridge completely different than what they had showed. That being said looking at these pictures/video I’m not sure if it actually looks bad. Its definitely completely different though and they shouldnt be able to do that. If they can make the commonwealth hotel have to go back and make it right idk why they couldnt here. Ill have to go see it in person to determine if this looks bad or just different than what was expected.

Compared to:
IMG_0022.jpeg

On the older pictures you can see that what it was supposed to look like was there at first, but then the bike lane extension was built outwards with the truss type steel. You can see the beginning of the bike lane at the right of the pic. Definitely not what was promised.
Screen-Shot-2022-10-19-at-7.33.24-PM.png

https://commonwealthbeacon.org/transportation/cracked-welds-delay-new-n-washington-st-bridge-a-year/

Last edited:
I looked at all the renderings and I was wondering where the typical bridge trolls were. While they’re typically under a completed bridge, it turns out they’re here! Either that or Grimm Brother’s Construction is still bitter about their losing bid.

On the older pictures you can see that what it was supposed to look like was there at first, but then the bike lane extension was built outwards with the truss type steel. You can see the beginning of the bike lane at the right of the pic. Definitely not what was promised.
The bike lane is not outboard of the sidewalk. How are you getting that (especially from a picture that is structure only)?
It's already half built on the Charlestown side between the road and sidewalk. there wasn't enough room on the N End side to finish it with temp bridge in place.

Last edited:
Sorry youre right the pedestrian lane is outbound of the bike lane.

What people are talking about is how the bridge shown in the renderings had smooth sides (blue) but that ended up being covered up by the steel box truss extension that carries the pedestrian lane (red)
IMG_0022.jpeg

IMG_0023.jpeg

So now the bridge looks like this instead
IMG_0027.jpeg

I kind of like it. It looks more like a truss bridge. It definitely makes the view more crowded, which doesn't work against all backdrops, but I can see it looking nice in some lights. Not sure how it's going to hold up. Maybe better, since there's less that's both in easy view and can get dirty?

Pretty crazy how they can build the sides of the bridge completely different than what they had showed. That being said looking at these pictures/video I’m not sure if it actually looks bad. Its definitely completely different though and they shouldnt be able to do that. If they can make the commonwealth hotel have to go back and make it right idk why they couldnt here. Ill have to go see it in person to determine if this looks bad or just different than what was expected.

Compared to:
View attachment 48367

https://commonwealthbeacon.org/transportation/cracked-welds-delay-new-n-washington-st-bridge-a-year/

They can change it on the fly like that because they know that the city won't do anything about it.

I kind of like it. It looks more like a truss bridge. It definitely makes the view more crowded, which doesn't work against all backdrops, but I can see it looking nice in some lights. Not sure how it's going to hold up. Maybe better, since there's less that's both in easy view and can get dirty?
It's going to get extremely dirty extremely quickly. It's *white*.

Then why did you prefer it when there was more surface area that would be even worse, since it would be a large expanse of dirt?

Then why did you prefer it when there was more surface area that would be even worse, since it would be a large expanse of dirt?
You are missing the point, which is to disagree with anything that is actual, in favor of whatever other option might have been out there at some point in time. The deceptive use of a several months old picture should tell us all we need to know.

You are missing the point, which is to disagree with anything that is actual, in favor of whatever other option might have been out there at some point in time. The deceptive use of a several months old picture should tell us all we need to know.
The old photo is what the bridge still looks like today. I don’t get what’s deceptive about it.

the bridge shown in the renderings had smooth sides (blue) but that ended up being covered up by the steel box truss extension that carries the pedestrian lane (red)
Is there some reason to think that what's in the renders isn't just cladding over the trusses? That's what I assumed was happening. And it would make sense that the cladding isn't up yet, because that's the kind of non-functional, aesthetic work they seem to be holding off on until the end.

Last edited:

Its possible. I was basing my opinion on this picture that appears to show theyve already removed the scaffolding on the right side of the bridge and there doesnt seem to be any attachment points for anything further being installed. If they were going to install cladding I would imagine there would have to be scaffolding along the bottom edge of the bridge. I guess well see, fingers crossed.

Is there some reason to think that what's in the renders isn't just cladding over the trusses? That's what I assumed was happening. And it would make sense that the cladding isn't up yet, because that's the kind of non-functional, aesthetic work they seem to be holding off on until the end.
There’s no visible connection points for any kind of faring and there is no equipment to place it there. It’s over.

Why is everyone getting bent out of shape with the truss work? We're complaining that an unfinished bridge looks unfinished. The phase we're in, the drawing I've seen shows it looking exactly as seen in the posted photos, as the plans only show the "architectural screening at fascia" as part of the final build condition, after which the sidewalk trusses are tucked well in.

1000030767.jpg

1000030760.jpg

Why is everyone getting bent out of shape with the truss work? We're complaining that an unfinished bridge looks unfinished.

Thank you for this. This thread was starting to remind me of architectural critiques and sweeping, declarative statements in the mid-2010's getting bent out of shape over the Seaport neighborhood. All I wanted to do then and here was grab a megaphone and remind people: "Simmer down, it isn't finished yet!"

Last edited:
Oh Mods! Mods! Mean old Magglio has taken the lolly that papà has given me for being such a goody good boy! Oh mods please save me!

Back