Amazing link. For those who didn't click the link, here are the "NE Special Project Highlights"For the Acela, there's now a good list at the Connect NEC 2035 project site:
Where they seem to say there's about an hour's worth of time to be saved between Boston and NYC, (about half between BOS & NHV and the other half between NHV and NYP)CONNECT NEC 2035 is a 15-year plan representing the most ambitious reinvestment program in the NEC’s history and a new way of planning: a multi-agency, multi-year, shared action plan guided by a long-term vision. The state governments of the Northeast, the federal government, eight commuter rail...nec-commission.com
NE Special Project Highlights
- Massachusetts Third Track (Readville to Canton): This project supports additional service in the NE territory by adding a third track between Readville and Canton Junction stations. Eliminating the two-track configuration in the area will mitigate an existing capacity bottleneck for Amtrak and MBTA services.
- Pawtucket/Central Falls Station: The new Pawtucket/Central Falls Station will provide communities located between Providence, RI and Attleboro, MA with access to commuter rail service. This station will provide relief to overcrowded stations in Providence and South Attleboro, while attracting new riders from adjacent residential redevelopment areas that will take advantage of proximity to transit for access to jobs, educational opportunities, and medical options in Boston, MA and Providence, RI.
- Fitter Interlocking: This project will include the construction of a new universal interlocking on SLE in Clinton, CT that will divide a 16-mile interlockingto-interlocking segment (Guilford and View Interlockings) into two shorter segments, improving reliability by allowing single track operation over shorter segments during maintenance with less operational disruption.
- SLE Grade Crossing Elimination Projects: Four of the eleven remaining grade crossings on the NEC will be eliminated, minimizing the risk of train-vehicle collisions and delays caused by grade crossing warning device malfunctions.
- New Haven to Providence Capacity Planning Study: Study of investment options to improve capacity and service performance between New Haven, CT and Providence, RI.