Northeastern eyes dorms

I looked at the room plans. They have these double/quad where you have two separate rooms and you share a bathroom. Pretty nice in my opinion. I hope the economy recovers so that they can move forward with the K building. Another 22 story tower will add more dorms in an already cramp campus. Have NEU ever reached a verdict on building the stadium at the parking lot behind Ruggles Station?

I'm glad it looks nicer on the inside. Those pics from the top really show off just how depressing that whole area is (side note: went to Wentworth for two years so I've had some first hand experience with this area.)

I looked at the room plans. They have these double/quad where you have two separate rooms and you share a bathroom. Pretty nice in my opinion. I hope the economy recovers so that they can move forward with the K building. Another 22 story tower will add more dorms in an already cramp campus. Have NEU ever reached a verdict on building the stadium at the parking lot behind Ruggles Station?

Yeah, i would think the K building should get moving sometime this year as soon as the economy's recovery is either underway or at least a little more predictable. from the most recent rendering ive seen which was in a presentation at NU, it looks very impressive. it is similar to west h tower except the non-glass side matches the other west village orange brick buildings. they want to kick off east village in style ;)

and at this point the stadium is a pipe dream. the renovations to matthews and the adjacent recreation building they are constructing there will delay it for a while and every time students ask about a stadium at columbus lot, the administration says they dont have the land for it. so dont expect an on-campus stadium for at least 10+ years. a good first step would be just getting it onto the IMP

img4369.jpg

This photo shows the extent to which HOPE VI barely helped Boston's public housing situation. These are not neighborhoods, just the sort of suburban garden housing you see backing onto 128 near the Burlington Mall.

Yeah, the wood frames. But it's a great illustration of how both generations of public housing suck.

^^^^ I supose so, but it's important to remember that most of the world's poor would love to upgrade to American projects.

If only the railway chasm was built lower. They could deck over the Orange/Commuter/Amtrak like the Mass Pike and connect the South and North Campus.

^^^^ I supose so, but it's important to remember that most of the world's poor would love to upgrade to American projects.

I'm not impugning the projects as a social project (nor do I think the standard for this should be "oh well, it's better than a shantytown," but that's for another discussion). I don't think their design does a disservice to the poor. I'm complaining about the way they interact and integrate with the city as a whole.

If only the railway chasm was built lower. They could deck over the Orange/Commuter/Amtrak like the Mass Pike and connect the South and North Campus.

Every time I walk from the main campus to south campus (i.e. the dorms along Columbus Ave.) I think to myself how great it would be if there was a grassy knoll or collegiate staircases and signature building(s) built atop the "railway chasm". It wouldn't be impossible to do, just extremely costly. If they ever move forward with the stadium plans at Carter Playground then perhaps that could be the starting point for connecting main campus with south campus. Even if they could do something to the caliber of Parcel 18 with a mega academic building on the Columbus Ave Lot, it would be such a necessary and welcome addition to Northeastern.

air rights over the orange/commuter lines is part of the current institutional master plan, although i dont know any details about its timeline / scope

View from the 22nd floor
img4370.jpg

This really is the ugliest building I think I've seen built in Boston since I moved here in 1996.

Simply remarkable how forbidding and cold this entire complex looks. Shame to waste such a prominent piece of land.

I don't love it but I don't mind it at all either...I must be the only one. I like the massing, I like the way it maintains the street wall and the materials aren't as unpleasant as I feared.

I don't understand the recent trend of primary colors being used to accent buildings, such as the window panels here or the awful brick inlays on the House of Blues.

I don't love it but I don't mind it at all either...I must be the only one. I like the massing, I like the way it maintains the street wall and the materials aren't as unpleasant as I feared.

Judging just from this photo, I actually like it for the most part.

I don't understand the recent trend of primary colors being used to accent buildings, such as the window panels here or the awful brick inlays on the House of Blues.

Other than that.
(...and not sure about street level)

Yeah the accent colors are just awful. Although the HOB one on Landsdowne looks like a McDonald's because it is yellow and red, this one, it's blue, red and green

Back