Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

The arena sections look interesting. Almost like a miniature version of the old Garden with the balconies along the sides. Also reminiscent of other college rinks like Vermont's, or Canadian Major Junior rinks like Peterborough's, where the majority of the seats are in the large end sections.

Kind of baffles me, though, that they would go for such an old school atmosphere on the inside while the outside looks like an off-brand Mac Mini.

@BeeLine or @vanshnookenraggen - maybe pull the arena stuff into a new thread like "Northeastern University Matthews Arena Replacement | 262 St. Botolph Street | Fenway"

Also, wow. Could not have been less respectful to a building with the legendary status of Matthews Arena (not to mention other arenas in that area of Boston like Mechanics Hall) than to propose replacing it with a lazy UFO. This sort of thing is fine for New Balance at Boston Landing, but not here.

Here's the vernacular. Use it.

1718633422903.jpeg

1718633511146.jpeg

I know Perkins & Will can at least try, because they did this in Savannah:

1718633866095.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy cow, this one is moving fast. Task Force meeting ... tonight!

Holy cow, this one is moving fast. Task Force meeting ... tonight!
Given the condition of Matthews, Northeastern cannot afford to have this drag out for years like the City did with the 840 Columbus residence hall.

Pretty sure this is some type of brick, either with a metallic glaze or a glass translucent brick? I'm intrigued:

View attachment 51507
Yeah, it wasn't so clear in the pics from the filing (and I missed that table in my quick scan of the PNF), but it was very evident in tonight's taskforce presentation that they propose a brick veneer cladding.

Back