Northeastern University's West Village

Front cover of the Boston Globe today, they were talking about current NU President Richard Freeland's replacement when he retires in August, a dean from USC. Exciting guy. The only problem with Freeland was that he didn't raise funds, and this guy is known for fund raising.

castevens,these are great. I really like the new west village. Among other things, it has provided NU with something it never really had before -- a cohesive physical identity. Please, keep adding if you have more.

Thanks! I wanted to find pictures of the Egan Research center and Snell Library, but I can't find any.

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

I'm not in the area for the rest of the summer, but I'd like to see what West F looks like without the old African American Institute building in front of it. I dont even know what the building is supposed to look like behind it!

Also, in the main quad (Centennial Quad), there are many new buildings (Shillman, Ryder, Egan, Behrakis, and West F) but 1 tiny corner has the corner of a huuuge old building (I call it "the complex" in the first post of this thread), which cannot be torn down due to historic status (old rubber mill/bean mill). I wonder what will happen with that.

Thanks for the great visual tour and informative commentary. I'll have to do some wandering around there. NU is doing a great job with its campus. Much better than BU's monotonous bunkers or MIT's ongoing attempt to turn Vassar St. into an academic version of the Vegas strip.

xec said:
Much better than BU's monotonous bunkers or MIT's ongoing attempt to turn Vassar St. into an academic version of the Vegas strip.

Well said. I wanna like BU's campus, but I just can't. And something about MIT is, err, it doesn't inspire desire to be there. NU isn't exactly a hotbed of passion when it comes to visiting, but I definitely like walking the footpaths (attractive landscaping) and taking in the newer architecture.

Can someone post a picture of the Cy Young statue. That has to be one of the coolest things about Northeastern's campus.

also, 60 feet and 6 inches in front of the Cy Young Statue is a memorial to where home plate once was.

Construction has finished on West Village F. Let me see if I can't get this same exact shot. The building is gorgeous on the outside, and waaaaayyy too good for freshmen on the inside :)

They tore down that building in the foreground.

DSC_1341.jpg

Thanks for the update Castevens. This building looks interesting. Ill have to get over there and check it out when I get a chance.

What has been put in place of the little brick building?

Just a park. It is the former African American Institute, which has been moved to inside the new building (beautiful space).

The AAI wants to put a statue of a prominent black american in the park space.

I really need to get that picture so you all can see. I think the building is gorgeous

Forgot I took these Wednesday. Building "F" is quite pleasant, just like the rest of West Village.

The new view out my new window of Berahkis (West Village D):

DSC_3584.jpg

I'm updating the NU page in the New Developments forum, but I'd like to put it in my campus tour, too:

DSC_3912.jpg

I'm updating the NU page in the New Developments forum, but I'd like to put it in my campus tour, too:

DSC_3912.jpg

I was so excited about this building when I took this picture. Oh well. Can't win 'em all. :(

Back