Not sure if anyone has seen this...

Kahta

Reaction score
http://ibert.org/mbta/

I balanced the budget by increasing fares by 70% and raising the gas tax by 15 cents, with 33% of that revenue dedicated to the MBTA. Usually I'm against such schemes, but the MBTA provides a critical role in reducing radial traffic demand inside 128. I created a $230 million surplus that in my ideal world be directed towards taking out additional loans to extend the Orange and Red lines out to 128 with express service to downtown to relieve congestion and improve the standard of living for people.

On the expense side (which the user unfortunately can't control) I would like to do the following:

-Put the MBTA workers on the same health insurance plan as the rest of the state or something similar to the recent municipal employee union.
-Create a second tier wage structure in the next labor contract, similar to what has happened in the auto industry. Wages and benefits should be based on real world factors.
-Fund capital improvements that reduce the need for manned trains (as I saw discussed elsewhere on here)

Ideally, unconstrained by politics and reality I this is what I would like to do:
- Sell/lease the subway systems by color/rail class to third parties.
- Close down bus operations while retaining physical property
- Sell a capped number of licenses for routes and coordinate with service providers for the creation of new routes/modification of old routes while requiring a minimum level of service
- Sell/lease the commuter rail system to encourage competition with other modes of transit

By making these systems private, several different kinds of efficiencies can be gained:
- Elimination of public employee unions that do not serve the interests of customers in terms of cost, quality of employees (patronage or lottery hire), or accountability to the customers.
- Elimination of patronage hires within MBTA system
- Elimination of job-by-lottery hires
- Davis-Bacon no longer applies, as there is no federal funding for system improvements which removes the wage requirements for construction projects.
- MA prevailing wage laws, which are even worse than Davis-Bacon requires, no longer apply.
- Sales tax revenue can be diverted elsewhere.
- Constant focus on providing a better level of service to the customer at a lower cost when compared with alternatives

And here is a link of 2009 Salaries for T-workers...

http://www.bostonherald.com/projects/mbta/wages.DESC//1/

Yes, increasing fares by 70% will have no negative consequences at all.

It's really not a matter of fair, it is a matter of real world consequences.
a lot of people (my self included) take the T rather than drive because it is the cheaper option (and not by a lot).
You remove that one benefit you will see a flood of new drivers on the roads and all the negative consequences that follow from that.

A five cent gas tax solves the whole problem. This should be a no brainer.

A five cent gas tax solves the whole problem. This should be a no brainer.

Henry -- on top of the suggested 15 cents? -- if on top combined with the huge increase in the cost of taking public transit -- then you've just raised the cost of commuting for Mass residents sufficiently that you will damage the attractiveness of Mass as a place to do business

It's already an expensive place to:
live (housing costs and taxes),
build buildings (land, materials, constructin labor),
buy energy,
buy raw materials,
hire employees,
buy insturance,
pay taxes

No -- the solution has to be to cut the costs of operating the T just as much as any other part of State and Local government. The T is to much in debt and it has too high an opertional cost due to labor

Those need to be fixed before anyone can realisticly expect to raise funds for future T expansion

Henry -- on top of the suggested 15 cents? -- if on top combined with the huge increase in the cost of taking public transit -- then you've just raised the cost of commuting for Mass residents sufficiently that you will damage the attractiveness of Mass as a place to do business

It's already an expensive place to:
live (housing costs and taxes),
build buildings (land, materials, constructin labor),
buy energy,
buy raw materials,
hire employees,
buy insturance,
pay taxes

No -- the solution has to be to cut the costs of operating the T just as much as any other part of State and Local government. The T is to much in debt and it has too high an opertional cost due to labor

Those need to be fixed before anyone can realisticly expect to raise funds for future T expansion

One of your best posts ever. I suspect we'd disagree on how to lower labor costs but dealing with the debt and labor must **both** be done.

Sure, it's easy to approach this by cutting costs. Cutting The Ride completely would also solve the problem. But I don't want to cut service, I want to expand it.

An expanded service which most people can't afford to use is just a model train set for urban planning geeks.

Sure, it's easy to approach this by cutting costs. Cutting The Ride completely would also solve the problem. But I don't want to cut service, I want to expand it.

Zero need to cut service when the MBTA can reduce its labor costs (reducing absurdly bloated wages, increasing employee contribution towards benefits and pension) and increase operating efficiencies (investing in new signalling technology and converting all lines to single-operator trains) before resorting to any service reductions.

On the revenue side, raise CharlieCard fares slightly to $2.00 and CharlieTicket fares to $2.50 to help close the gap there. Then bring in a gas tax that is actually indexed to inflation. Voila! An MBTA that can actually function in the 21st century.

The Ride is federally mandated for people that aren't able to take the T.

Most people can't afford the 'T?

Not when they spend all their money on an iPhone 4S.

I'm curious how a gas tax upon the other ~90% of the population of the Commonwealth that doesn't ride the subway regularly would ever fly politically.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it should be a free fare system, supported by the municipalities that directly benefit from the MBTA, to whatever extent possible.

The 176 municipalities in the system put in $150 million, of which Boston pays $74 million, 49.8% of the total. That's a small amount (less than 15%) of the T's revenues. Sales tax brings in somewhere around $800 million and fares $440 million if I remember the figures from that article correctly.

I'm curious how a gas tax upon the other ~90% of the population of the Commonwealth that doesn't ride the subway regularly would ever fly politically..

At least for sales tax, districts outside the MBTA district have that money directed to their local bus service.

Springfield has buses too, you know.

You sell it like this:

"The cheaper the T, the more people will ride, the more people who ride the fewer people driving, the fewer people driving, the shorter your commute."

Viola!

You sell it like this:

"The cheaper the T, the more people will ride, the more people who ride the fewer people driving, the fewer people driving, the shorter your commute."

Viola!

Only works for people commuting into Boston in the first place. The rest of the Commonwealth isn't going to appreciate paying an extra 15 cents (or was it 20?) per gallon at the pump, particularly when prices are so high anyway. The gas tax is 23 cents already, so this proposal is for nearly doubling it.

And regarding the money being directed towards bus services, well, traffic isn't nearly as much of a problem outside of Boston. I grew up near Springfield, and congestion was never a problem. Besides, we all know commuters don't take the bus in general. Especially in Springfield.

I don't see any reason why any community outside of the MBTA district should have to pay a dime. And color me skeptical that Beacon Hill would be diligent in segregating the revenue from this gas tax appropriately.

Yes, I don't see any drawback for the western part of state if Boston becomes a completely gridlocked mess and business start leaving the state in droves.

That won't affect the rest of the state at all.

Back