Notre Dame de Paris

hhPb9ib.jpg

Built in 1250. Gone.

UPDATE: I AM HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I WAS WRONG ABOUT THIS.

This is terrible news, hopefully firefighters can get this under control before much more is lost

This cathedral took 100 years to build and it's gone in an evening. Terrible.

As they know the formulas and technique for manufacturing medieval stained glass, I expect conservation artisans and apprentices will be busy for a decade putting the windows back together.

It sounds like it is thankfully less of a total loss than earlier reports were saying (when will I learn not to put faith in early reports?). This is still a tragedy but thankfully it sounds like there is plenty remaining structure to rebuild from.

It sounds like it is thankfully less of a total loss than earlier reports were saying (when will I learn not to put faith in early reports?). This is still a tragedy but thankfully it sounds like there is plenty remaining structure to rebuild from.

Yep I spoke too early. Luckily dosn't look like a total loss.

This is a link to a page in French that has a video of the interior, with firemen and hoses in the main nave. A part of the vault collapsed when the spire fell, but it appears most of the fire was between the vault and the roof, and never reached the main floor, or the side alters on either side of the nave.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture...-de-l-interieur-de-la-cathedrale_3400579.html

Sorry, but I could not find a way to link to the video directly.

^ Thank you for the link. It's truly stunning that only the vault above the crossing came down. The flèche was lead-clad oak, weighing (according to Wikipedia) a staggering 750 tons. It was a 19th Century recreation of the original, designed and engineered by Eugène Viollet-le-Duc in the 1840s.

To assuage my sadness, I send a copy of this book to my ladyfriend's nieces. It was my favorite when I was a kid.

More hopeful news.

The Atlantic said:
“I saw this happening, and I had two thoughts,” Blaer told me of watching the cathedral engulfed in flames. “One thought was that I was kind of relieved that he didn’t actually have to see this happen. But on the other hand, he knew it so well and had so much information about how it’s constructed, he would have been so helpful in terms of rebuilding it.”

Back