Nubian Ascends (Blair Lot) | 2164 Washington | Roxbury

The giant "NUBIAN ASCENDS" sign needs to go, but there is a lot to like otherwise.

I love it... although it does kinda remind me of the Longaburger Basket building in Ohio. In a good way.

Interested to see what becomes of the market... Will it be more like Bow Market or the BPM? Guess it all depends on what the neighborhood needs... although walking through the BPM the other day... it’s looking bleak.

I really love the Nubian weaving homage--it works!

Does anyone know if the BCDC is expected to weigh in? If so, a development like this invites an opportunity for conversation about who makes up that body and certainly challenges some of the perceived intents of that body. Nubian Ascends clearly is trying to reinforce the identity for the Nubian Square neighborhood, not the usual conformance to the neighborhood(s) around it.

I really love the Nubian weaving homage--it works!

Does anyone know if the BCDC is expected to weigh in? If so, a development like this invites an opportunity for conversation about who makes up that body and certainly challenges some of the perceived intents of that body. Nubian Ascends clearly is trying to reinforce the identity for the Nubian Square neighborhood, not the usual conformance to the neighborhood(s) around it.

Given the politics at play (literally, given who's running for Mayor), it would be a real surprise if the BPDA fought this development on those grounds.

I really love how some of that multicolored band "weaving" exterior is also reminiscent of the Mass College of Art tower several blocks away!

1603315294154.png

1603315157951.png

Attachments

• 1603315265574.png
    1603315265574.png
    153 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I'm really not a fan of designing the entire site around a 359 spot above ground parking garage, despite the development proposal saying "this is what Nubian needs to grow" and that they are "addressing the desperate need for more parking in the square" I really disagree that Nubian needs any more cars, everytime I'm in Nubian I find myself thinking the exact opposite...

Also the written portion of their proposal: http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/e4c489d4-9990-4762-9f92-09212a130c9e

Sadly only one response to this RFP

While the overall design seems realy strong I have to be that guy that works in theater and talk about the performing arts venue. The stage, as currently designed is almost unusable. There is virtually no wing space, there is no cross over backstage, and the only entrances to the stage are through the audience or through a door off-center on the back wall. This precludes theater, dance, opera, and even most notable music acts from being able to perform here. Just from the groundplan this is really just an auditorium for speakers and possibly some small bands. It's design precludes most other uses. It has amazing street presence but the space does not live up to it as currently drawn.

Interesting perspective, you should weigh in and comment to help them get it done right for the most benefit from the space.

What is going on with the roofs on these townhouses? Why cant we do good cornices anymore.

Thank you^

As far as the garage, I get the complaints, but as far as garages go burying it entirely within the middle of multiple structures like this is by far the best case scenario. I wish this was the case with every garage. Its not ideal to have, but its very well hidden and out of sight, so Ill take it if it means we get everything else here.

-Also I agree if they do paint the streets like shown thats going to be really cool and unique and quite frankly fkn badass. Bring some fun to stuffy old Boston. Seriously with every new development the city is just getting better and better and knitting together so much more year after year.

Last edited:
Thank you^

As far as the garage, I get the complaints, but as far as garages go burying it entirely within the middle of multiple structures like this is by far the best case scenario. I wish this was the case with every garage. Its not ideal to have, but its very well hidden and out of sight, so Ill take it if it means we get everything else here.

-Also I agree if they do paint the streets like shown thats going to be really cool and unique and quite frankly fkn badass. Bring some fun to stuffy old Boston. Seriously with every new development the city is just getting better and better and knitting together so much more year after year.

To that last paragraph... 100000%

I definitely will be running that in the comments when this thing makes it that far. This is so cool.. this makes me want to visit Boston alone. It would be a killer for tourism and even African business.

This is a great addition to Nubian. The creation of that vibrant pedestrian way is awesome. But good god is it a crazy mess of massing ideas. Maybe in part to how embellished the renderings are with people/activities/street art everywhere. I'm not sure why every edge needs to be facetted and angled into some contorted shape.
The weaving facade on the larger piece is a neat idea, but super clunky. I've got a thing against vertically-oriented bricks too; just looks unnatural. The "NUBIAN ASCENDS" is tacky, especially the font, but I'm sure that's just notional for now.

The only upside I see to a garage like this is that it becomes easier to remove on-street parking for bus and bike lanes!

Yeah there is definitely not too little parking in Nubian. I walk by the Blair Lot almost every day and its never close to full.

Agree with the issues around parking. Would also like to understand what the office demand is here. BFIT is a great institution, for instance, but it's not exactly launching startups. I feel like we're seeing a lot of high concept that only pencils with subsidy instead of building lots of resi that could be affordable and pencil while driving demand for current businesses and office space.

This is fantastic, and I really hope something substantially like the initial proposal can happen. I might tweak a few things here and there, such as mix of uses, the theater design as mentioned above, but mostly, just wow, build it!

The only upside I see to a garage like this is that it becomes easier to remove on-street parking for bus and bike lanes!

I have mixed feelings on the garage. That's definitely a plus. The other thing to keep in mind, is that for the Square to become more of a destination, it has to work for everybody who doesn't live on one of the many bus lines serving it. Either that, or the transit serving the neighborhood needs an upgrade (needs that regardless). Clipped this image from the presentation. That 8 minutes to Summer St. by El, is now 18 minutes by Silver Line during non-peak traffic. That needs to be fixed.

Rapid.PNG

Back