Nubian Ascends (Blair Lot) | 2164 Washington | Roxbury

Given the politics at play (literally, given who's running for Mayor), it would be a real surprise if the BPDA fought this development on those grounds.

? This is a BPDA RFP, they are the ones who ran the selection process. I think they are probably in support of the project. Not sure why they wouldn't be,seem to be pretty pro development.

? This is a BPDA RFP, they are the ones who ran the selection process. I think they are probably in support of the project. Not sure why they wouldn't be,seem to be pretty pro development.
Just because the BPDA is running the procurement doesn't mean they have to like the RFP responses, the BPDA has absolutely been known to put things back out to RFP if the responses don't meet their goals for the site. (Not saying this applies to this site, just saying in general the whole point of an RFP is to get different proposals and find a best one). The BPDA hasn't selected this proposal to move forward, it's just the only response to the RFP... They are pro development but it's also about feasibility and community input here, especially after P-3 went so wrong I think they'll be more cautious about getting it right...

Just because the BPDA is running the procurement doesn't mean they have to like the RFP responses, the BPDA has absolutely been known to put things back out to RFP if the responses don't meet their goals for the site. (Not saying this applies to this site, just saying in general the whole point of an RFP is to get different proposals and find a best one). The BPDA hasn't selected this proposal to move forward, it's just the only response to the RFP... They are pro development but it's also about feasibility and community input here, especially after P-3 went so wrong I think they'll be more cautious about getting it right...
Yeah exactly, also I don't think there were many proposals to choose from tbh.

For some of the recent RFPs (particularly for complex parcels with lots of competing interests) the BPDA has been curating the RFP process. Basically working with the interested parties to try to get a proposal that is acceptable to all. This happened with Parcel P-12C in Chinatown (290 Tremont Street). I am not saying that happened here, but BPDA has been getting smarter about the RFP process to try to ensure at least one acceptable proposal.

Agree with the issues around parking. Would also like to understand what the office demand is here. BFIT is a great institution, for instance, but it's not exactly launching startups. I feel like we're seeing a lot of high concept that only pencils with subsidy instead of building lots of resi that could be affordable and pencil while driving demand for current businesses and office space.
There's a section in this report on office space in Rox-Dot/Nubian Sq.:

I went to the PLAN: Nubian meeting on this project last night. It looks super exciting and there was so much support for it from people in attendance. Very thoughtful and ambitious--I just hope they can make it happen.

Every single person I show this project to says:
1) this should be built
2) they SHOULD paint the roads.

I don't think the City realizes how many tourists would come just to see this. This has 99% support, and other sites show people who willingly visit to see the cultural attractions here at Nubian Square. This could be educational, revolutionary, and even a change in how we are African culture.

This is big. And I will donate my own money to support this if I have too.

From the meetings I've attended, there seems to be a perception in the area that the businesses would benefit from public parking. A lot of the surface lots are going away because of development--BPS parks something like 250 people on the 135 Dudley site so where are they going (why BPS needs to park that many people is a huge issue too, but no one seems to be able/willing to address that).

Whether or not that is true is, of course, another issue. If they do flat floor plates that might be convertible that could be a good way to approach a garage here.

From the meetings I've attended, there seems to be a perception in the area that the businesses would benefit from public parking. A lot of the surface lots are going away because of development--BPS parks something like 250 people on the 135 Dudley site so where are they going (why BPS needs to park that many people is a huge issue too, but no one seems to be able/willing to address that).

Whether or not that is true is, of course, another issue. If they do flat floor plates that might be convertible that could be a good way to approach a garage here.

I lived next to a BPS elementary school and its parking lot for 5 years- it seemed like every teacher in that place 1. took a car to work 2. didnt live in the city. It would follow that close to nobody in the administration building live in the city or take the T either. Definitely a little bit of a sad state of affairs

I lived next to a BPS elementary school and its parking lot for 5 years- it seemed like every teacher in that place 1. took a car to work 2. didnt live in the city. It would follow that close to nobody in the administration building live in the city or take the T either. Definitely a little bit of a sad state of affairs
Teachers often have to bring a lot of supplies between home and classroom. My wife used to teach at a walking distance from our house, but nevertheless often drove because she had too much to carry. Now she works further away, but 'T accessible, and again will often drive for the same reason. I am more than willing to cut teachers a lot of slack on this issue. But it's not at all clear to me why administrative BPS staff would need to drive. I don't know how many BPS staff are assigned to headquarters, but if it's not significantly higher than 250, then they definitely don't need so much parking.

BPS administrators who work in HQ are subject to Boston residency requirements for city workers. Teachers, school paraprofessionals, and principals/headmasters who work in individual schools are exempt from these requirements, as are various union members.

Yes, some city workers do get around the Boston residency requirements. But it's still true that, by the book, BPS administration staff is required to live in the City of Boston but teachers in BPS schools are not.

BPS administrators who work in HQ are subject to Boston residency requirements for city workers. Teachers, school paraprofessionals, and principals/headmasters who work in individual schools are exempt from these requirements, as are various union members.

Yes, some city workers do get around the Boston residency requirements. But it's still true that, by the book, BPS administration staff is required to live in the City of Boston but teachers in BPS schools are not.
Typically they only need to live in the City for 10 years of their employment though. I would bet that a lot of the HQ employees have been with the City for a long time and are able to move out.

This will be great activation of this lot. As it currently sits, the parking lot is underutilized due to poor visibility--it looks very closed off (and private looking) and you have to enter around the back. Its rarely close to full use. Also, there are a shit ton of new housing units in development or planned within walking distance in the square (10 taber should be finished next year) so I think parking will be less vital for businesses--lets hope the service cuts to transit doesn't too negatively impact this though...

I am worried this might become another P3 but it seems there's wide ranging support for this so thats a good sign

According to UHub article a formal proposal has been submitted to the BPDA.

nubiana-bird by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
nubiana-plaza by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
nubiana-foodlabs by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
nubiana-bmkt by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
nubiana-otherside by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Last edited:

Back