Nubian Ascends (Blair Lot) | 2164 Washington | Roxbury

It really is disturbing how they're adding parking atop a transit hub, close to the OL, amidst lots of extant parking, and it's only going to make the project harder to pencil. Maybe we should let them build more housing or *gasp* market rate homes to subsidize the rest.

More slow progress...

MassDevelopment has partnered with six organizations to provide loan financing to Nubian Ascends Partners
The Baker-Polito Administration was pleased to provide a $1.5 million MassWorks award last year to support design and permitting work for Nubian Square Ascends. Importantly, we have proposed to contribute another $5 million in federal ARPA funding towards this transformative project through the FORWARD Act, which is currently pending before the Legislature.”

1657749347712.png

This so reminds me of our childhood years in the '60's, being in that area. It looked like it had lots of hustle & bustle back then. We used to ride the El to town for only a dime!! We had fun doing it! The bus ride was only a nickel, all during the '60's!!! What does it cost now?!! Hah!! :)
Old Dudley Station..PNG

Last edited:
This reminds me of our chilhood years being in that area. We used to ride the El to town for only a dime!! We had fun doing it! The bus ride was only a nickel, all during the '60's!!! What does it cost now?!! Hah!! :) View attachment 28919

Reminds me of my childhood in the 70's too. My mother did most of her shopping for clothing and housewares at Robell's because she could put them in lay-away, which was the only way she could afford to buy things, and she sent me there regularly to make the downpayments.

She also did a lot of her food shopping at the Haymarket and the North End, and I had to go with her to help bring all the stuff back. We took a bus to the Dudley Square T station then the OL to Haymarket. Carrying heavy bags and waiting an eternity for the train to arrive was a dismal experience, especially in winter, but I loved riding the elevated Orange Line and ogling the Dudley Square T station, which I thought was awesome beyond words. I imagine it was one of the main reasons I developed an interest in architecture.

Reminds me of my childhood in the 70's too. My mother did most of her shopping for clothing and housewares at Robell's because she could put them in lay-away, which was the only way she could afford to buy things, and she sent me there regularly to make the downpayments.

She also did a lot of her food shopping at the Haymarket and the North End, and I had to go with her to help bring all the stuff back. We took a bus to the Dudley Square T station then the OL to Haymarket. Carrying heavy bags and waiting an eternity for the train to arrive was a dismal experience, especially in winter, but I loved riding the elevated Orange Line and ogling the Dudley Square T station, which I thought was awesome beyond words. I imagine it was one of the main reasons I developed an interest in architecture.

In the early'70's, I became an adult & I moved into my very first apt on Lenox Street. I was a little further from Nubian Sq., but I kept in touch with the area. Nowadays, it seemed like a crime-ridden area. This rebuild will help bring it back to life & restore some of what was there before, hopefully!! :)

Are there other parcels around that have similar development so it can connect beyond this one block?

This so reminds me of our childhood years being in that area. It looked like it had lots of hustle & bustle back then. We used to ride the El to town for only a dime!! We had fun doing it! The bus ride was only a nickel, all during the '60's!!! What does it cost now?!! Hah!! :) View attachment 28919
The el never should have been torn down. The plan to convert it to a branch of the Green Line (after the SW Corridor OL was completed) should have been carried through. The el would have ended at Nubian, and tied into the GL via the abandoned Tremont St tunnel. Yes it needed rehab, but look at all the preservation work Chicago and NYC have done on their elevateds.

The el never should have been torn down. The plan to convert it to a branch of the Green Line (after the SW Corridor OL was completed) should have been carried through. The el would have ended at Nubian, and tied into the GL via the abandoned Tremont St tunnel. Yes it needed rehab, but look at all the preservation work Chicago and NYC have done on their elevateds.

We should build another one over Washington St.

Yeah, & I think that the only "el" part of anything is the revamped Lechmere Viaduct between the tunnel & somewhere past the new Lechmere Station. All of the other "els" have been dismantled that I know of. In the years past, residents have often complained about the noise that the trains make when they pass by on the el. The revamped & added steel & concrete el should be much quieter, dampening the noise & making it much quieter for the residents, if any of them will be living in the vicinity. :unsure:

Last edited:
This row of brick rowhouses is a delightful and surprising element of the project. I'm hoping that Harriet Tubman plus this help foster a new trend for small housing construction in Boston over the next few years; fingers crossed.
Those brick rowhouses are already there.

Absolutely critical that the main building maintains the depth of its façade. That will make or break the woven effect it's going for.

Back