Olmsted Green Townhouse condominiums

UrbanCommunities

Reaction score
I am surprised that there is no mention in ARCHBOSTON of Olmsted Green, one of Boston's most significant residential developments in many years. This mixed-use project will eventually have 287 townhouse condos, 153 afordable rental units, senior housing and a nursing/mental health rehab facility. Located in the former Boston State Hospital site, this project spreads over 42 acres of land. See some pictures I took yesterday (May 21, 2008)

P1010396-2.jpg

P1010399-1.jpg

Last edited:
What beautiful photographs...they look like oil paintings!

^until i saw that comment and did a double take, I was positive they were computer enhanced renderings

The pictures are nice but this isn't the type of development Boston should aspire to. Aesthetically speaking it looks better suited to suburban Concord, NH, Portland, ME or really anywhere else for that matter. In theory it's a nice plan, the affordable living and such in that it doesn't overburden highly marketable areas with the undesirable elements that stem from such arrangements. On the other hand no developer is going to invest massive amounts of money on something truly nice in this part of town, so I have to suppose that with this being the best and only viable option, it could have been worse.

Even Concord, NH, and Portland, ME shouldn't aspire to this kind of development. I would be fine if the developers decided to build a New England village on these acres, but this is a bastardization of a New England village, no actual village ever looked like this; it's like the worst of all possible worlds: row houses, but not urban, suburban style, but not detached.

They could have developed a nice village center if they had built more housing on the 42 acres to support the retail that might locate in the village center. Zero lot line housing is a good way to provide nice homes at fairly affordable pricing. I wonder how much of the 42 acres were left as open space. I have a feeling that the surrounding neighborhood probably put it's foot down to more density even though the need for working class/middle income/affordable housing is much needed in the city.

I think you're all drunk!

What could possibly be wrong with the design??? And, you're basing your thoughts on one single photo?

Give me a couple of examples of better-designed communities.

Man oh man.

And "no developer will invest money in something nice" doesn't ring true to me, based on my knowledge of the Dorchester / Milton market.

There isn't really a surrounding neighborhood, as this is a large empty piece of land formerly occupied by a state hospital. Its nearest neighbors are cemeteries and parks. Not really an "urban" context.

Here's a site plan:
olstead_green_site_plan.jpg

There is also a similar development going up directly across the street from this one--the name escapes at the moment. They both feel very suburban in character with neither one engaging the surrounding city in a fundamental way. They appear to be designed like gated communities and I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be, literally, gated with barriers guarding the entrances.

There isn't really a surrounding neighborhood, as this is a large empty piece of land formerly occupied by a state hospital. Its nearest neighbors are cemeteries and parks. Not really an "urban" context.

Ron, it's a block away from Blue Hill Ave, which is quite urban.

I think the developer, etc., has great big ones to take the plunge on this. I have been following it for years, and didn't think it would ever get under way. Whether or not it ends up being as big as proposed is a great unknown. Whether or not enough people would buy down there, is a great big question mark.

The properties aren't inexpensive - high-$400's for either a townhome or single-family house (I seem to remember them being much higher, when originally listed - into the $600's?).

Will these homes be appealing to Black families looking for more space in a private, suburban setting? Will they be appealing to white families looking to live in the city but wanting more space?

I would be interested in homes there, because it seems to be unique and exciting. It's just too darn remote, though, for it to be a serious consideration. Having to drive into the South End / Back Bay would just kill me. Actually, I would kill other drivers.

This is the big plot of land where Chuck Yancey keeps calling for a new high school to be built, correct?

Reminds me of the Christmas Tree Shop in Lynnfield.

LYNNFIELD2.jpg

A McDonaldLand version of Courier & Ives.

wait, this subdivision is actually WITHIN Boston city limits?

It is actually smack in the geographic middle of Boston if you take into consideration that Hyde Park and Mattapan are also part of the City of Boston.

G-ross.

As The Critic used to say, "It stinks!"

Reminds me of a more suburban version of the Mission Hill and Orchard Gardens Project Redevelopments.

This project absolutely disgusts me.

It is more appropriate for some middle-of-nowhere suburb than anything called a city.

Pretty tacky, but I guess this is what people want...

Back