Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

The problem in that 3rd pic of my post really is that Vent Building.

It is............."unfortunate."

Definitely unfortunate... don't think there is a short or mid-term fix for that. I don't know even know where a new vent building could be built. There is some land to work with on the corner of Summer and WTC Ave and then you could deck over Haul Rd and build something that blocks out the south side of the vent building. Ideally this structure would have been built near the edge of the Seaport / over somewhere near the MassDOT / State Police barracks.

Another racist article by Shirley Leung. Don't bother reading.

I don't like Shirley Leung but this is a ridiculous take.

Even if you (for whatever strange reason) care nothing about increasing racial diversity in Boston's real estate development scene, instituting policies that bring new construction and design firms to the table is absolutely a win! It's absurd that such a huge majority of Boston's projects are designed and built by such a small handful of "usual suspect" firms. John Fish and David Manfredi have enough work. Massport's Model is helping to diversify the scene in many ways, which is a win!

I couldn't agree more. Boston's architecture needs some fresh perspective.

I don't like Shirley Leung but this is a ridiculous take.
I am all for adding a variety of vendors to the construction/development industry. What I oppose is picking vendors only because of their race, which is what Leung continually argues for. That is the definition of racism.

I am all for adding a variety of vendors to the construction/development industry. What I oppose is picking vendors only because of their race, which is what Leung continually argues for. That is the definition of racism.

1. Her article doesn't advocate for anything... I'm not even sure you read the article based on what you said. Your reaction is weird. It is pretty standard reporting of facts and not an editorial.
2. Sometimes in order to balance things out and make them more equitable you need to take a hammer to the problem for awhile to break the usual actors out of their habits.

Do better with your posts.

1. Her article doesn't advocate for anything... I'm not even sure you read the article based on what you said. Your reaction is weird. It is pretty standard reporting of facts and not an editorial.
2. Sometimes in order to balance things out and make them more equitable you need to take a hammer to the problem for awhile to break the usual actors out of their habits.

Do better with your posts.
1-Everything she writes is advocating for something liberal and woke. That’s why she’s terrible, she doesn’t know the difference between news writing and editorializing (although to be fair, that’s a problem with most of the Globe’s reporters).
2-So more racism is the answer to racism? Where does it ever end?
My posts are fine. Thanks

1-Everything she writes is advocating for something liberal and woke. That’s why she’s terrible, she doesn’t know the difference between news writing and editorializing (although to be fair, that’s a problem with most of the Globe’s reporters).
2-So more racism is the answer to racism? Where does it ever end?
My posts are fine. Thanks

1. She's a columnist, isn't she? Last I checked columnists don't tend to be straight news reporters, they tend to have exactly the combination of news writing and editorializing you're criticizing. That said, I don't think anyone who regularly reads the Globe is going to see her byline and think "just the facts" reporting. Her reputation (for good or ill, tastes vary) does precede her.
2. What do you suggest Massport or anyone else does instead? Diversity efforts/requirements can be something of a blunt instrument at times, but are we just supposed to hope that minority-owned businesses just happen to get contracts and project involvement out of nowhere, when they don't necessarily have the work history and connections and institutional presence that existing firms have (and the lack of those things is often itself a product of - historical and even current - racism). It's an uneven playing field in an industry and city that has a reputation (however fair or unfair) for insularity and favoritism in contracting, either we wait however long it takes for that to change or take action sooner, which sometimes requires blunt instruments.

I'd also quibble with your definitions of racism. Choosing unqualified or less-qualified vendors on the basis of race might well be considered racism (though if one prioritizes dealing with the legacy of systemic racism against minorities it could theoretically be justified on a cost-benefit basis, though that's way beyond the scope of this discussion and deep into political theory), but including diversity elements in scoring without sacrificing quality or excessive cost serves to further the correction of historical and ongoing inequalities without significant harm (unless one argues that it harms the privileged incumbents, which, while technically true, is a bit too close to saying that their artificial privilege should be perpetuated).

(I'm going to go back to lurking in the Transit forum now.)

Brattle, I recommend you happily lurk wherever your whims take you. I look forward to your next contribution.

Just about all of Summer St east of "Boston Wharf Rd / W Service Rd Ext" is an overpass, so things are a bit more challenging. You aren't going to get healthy green space on an overpass.
Well, there are examples of green space established on an overpass. Granted, this one in Vancouver, WA is in a milder winter climate:

things-to-know-vancouver-land-bridge.jpg

Considering that Summer Street is the main pedestrian route from the Convention Center to Downtown, it's almost like they tried to make it as crappy and unappealing as possible. Does it have to be a mile wide? Could they add a little green space or bike lanes, or something remotely interesting to look at or engage with?

They should line the median with greenery like what’s been done on Seaport Blvd.

Yeah. I attended an offshore wind conference there a few weeks ago. Didn’t think to take many pics since I was working but here is the main ballroom inside. The pool on top of the podium looked very nice but is for overnight guests only sadly.
21147076-A874-4142-A73B-FB90194418AC.jpeg

Attachments

• 57E462A8-9F1E-40C0-BA13-A8EDB4D62794.jpeg
    11.6 MB · Views: 99
Man the thinner tower has an old school elegance that you dont see much of anymore.

Quite agree. I think that's because — as I posted somewhere upthread — the architects got their inspiration from the Little Building. Can't use a classic like that as a model without some of its elegance seeping into your design.

I was back in town again this week and stayed here for a night. I'll post pics later, but it is a really, really nice hotel. Obviously brand new, but fit and finish everywhere is top shelf - absolutely everywhere, the lobby, the halls, the rooms, the bathrooms, the restaurants, etc.. They did not skimp on anything.
And it is a mammoth hotel. The staff was bending over backwards to serve me with a level of service that felt like a high end hotel in Asia. They upgraded me and included $25 for food. I know I did not reserve that room or that package. I stayed in the Patron Tower, which faces the city, vs the tower that faces the harbor. They were fawning all over me in the restaurant, like I was a celebrity.

I feel like "world class" is a cliche, but this place stands near the top of hotels I have ever stayed at. Kudos to Omni to not f-ing around and putting something special here.

I was in the Patron tower, the nicer one. The tower in my photos, the one that faces the ocean and the other tower are the more "efficiency" rooms. Those rooms look more like W or Aloft Hotel rooms. Still very nice fit and finish, just smaller. The purpose of those rooms is a place to sleep, not hang out. Sounds like the purpose your office manager was trying to achieve.

We had my company Xmas party at Morton's and a bunch of employees stayed the night at the Omni. Two things I heard from EVERYBODY I asked about the hotel:
  1. The lobby and restaurants are top notch.
  2. The rooms stink. "They're tiny." "The bathroom is in the bedroom area. It's not really a separate room." "There's not even a closet - just a bar to hang your stuff from in the corner."
I think I remember reading that one tower has traditional rooms and one tower has small "efficiency" rooms. I'm guessing my office manager cut a bulk reservation with the "efficiency" tower.

Back