One Boston Place ground floor redesign

kz1000ps

Reaction score
As originally posted in the thread about Blackstone redoing the ground floors of their newly acquired buildings, 1 Boston Place's ground floor is getting an overhaul as well, opening up most of the dead spots along its streetwall on its Washington and Court Street sides.

Now that it's under construction I figured it'd be time to make a dedicated thread for it.

Reposts: this is the Court Street (north) side

img7234cv6.jpg

img7235bi8.jpg

img7241ra1.jpg

img7238yd7.jpg

Washington Street (east) side

img7247jh5.jpg

img7249jz7.jpg

img7246vl2.jpg

And today's shots - the trees are gone

img9764av7.jpg

img9765is1.jpg

img9766at7.jpg

img9767zm4.jpg

Very nice. Now if they would just put something on top to hide the pompom on that stocking cap...

Too bad about the trees.

Where are all the homeless and sexual offenders going to hang out during the day now. I guess city hall plaza will be the hot spot now.

When they're done with the first floor can they then redisign the rest of them please?

img9937nf1.jpg

img9938fc1.jpg

img0084jw7.jpg

even more ground floor renovations (hooray!), this time at One Washington Mall, about 200 feet away from 1BP.

img9936xy1.jpg

Wowie kazowie! One Beacon is getting in on the ground floor remodeling game, although this one doesn't appear to be anywhere near as thorough as One Boston Place.

This is on the Beacon Street side
img0190uc2.jpg

img0192gf6.jpg

To update KZ's One Beacon photos, the small renovation seems to be complete:

OneBeaconGround.jpg

too lazy to spell out Boston Place? couldn't they at least center the one?

other then that it looks pretty good for an ugly building.

Yeah, One Boston Place, right? That's One Beacon, aren't you the guy who does the building diagrams?

What is the purpose of this project? Will it add a rentable commercial space to the first floor?

Yes. Go back to the first page and look at the renderings; you can just barely make out "tenant signage" placeholders over the newly-created entryways.

Plus, we get a more open ground floor and a new plaza, not that there was much wrong with the old one.

Usually I would agree that it should be centered, but I think in this case it's just fine to have the One to the far right. If it was centered, it would look terribly out of proportion.

Looks to me like the sign over the entrance says "Bank of (unreadable) Mellon".

Go down to the next rendering, the one showing the corner next to the Pi Alley garage. The new space is not very big -- probably enough for an Au Bon Pain. Or actually, with the closing of the CVS next to H&M, we could really use a new one right here :rolleyes:

Last edited:
...not that there was much wrong with the old one.

The "old one" included a barren plaza and a forboding first floor fortress (how's that for alliteration!). The new work is, at the very least, much more pedestrian friendly.

Back