One Boston Place ground floor redesign

First, one of 99 High's reno

img5235th1.jpg

and on to One Boston Place

img5413is6.jpg

img5414gn1.jpg

img5416lb4.jpg

img5417nq6.jpg

Wow, One Boston Place looks splendid! I didn't expect it to look that good, but that new ground floor really looks great from the street. I am glad to see this, it definitely will help improve the street scape in that area of the Financial District.

It's quite an improvement, but it's too bad they couldn't scrap the whole granite 'skirt'

^ Exactly what I was thinking. It might at least attain pseudo-Miesian elegance without it.

One Boston Place Gets Gold
Banker & Tradesman

Bank of New York Mellon Center at One Boston Place in Boston recently became the first building to earn the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold designation from the U.S. Green Building Council for existing buildings: operations & maintenance (LEED-EB).

LEED-EB is a rating system that recognizes buildings with maximum operational efficiency and minimal environmental impact, the company said.

One Boston Place joins fewer than 100 buildings in the world that have earned LEED-EB certification.

The building, acquired by New-York based TIAA-CREF and SITQ in 2002 and managed by CB Richard Ellis, has seen water consumption reduced by 12 million gallons per year, or approximately 50 percent, and the building?s energy-related carbon footprint has been reduced by 3,000 tons per year, or approximately 67 percent.

Washington Street between this building and Borders has a large number of empty storefronts, which makes me dubious about how easily this brand-new retail space will be filled.

Washington Street between this building and Borders has a large number of empty storefronts, which makes me dubious about how easily this brand-new retail space will be filled.
We're really at a tipping point in Downtown Crossing that could go either way. On one hand, 45 Providence will be opening soon. On the other, what will happen to Filene's Crater is still up in the air. Well... the new Marliave is nice!

Not to get too off topic...but there's a new Italian restaurant & grocery that just opened on Washington next to the Paramount, directly opposite the Ritz. When Emerson's work is done, and if the parking lot gets developed, the block between Avery and West should be very appealing. Unfortunately, one block north is a completely different story.

With about 5,000 office worker above they may not have any trouble, just might be boring

But with all those office workers, why can't the existing storefronts get enough customers to remain filled?

Office workers aren't the best source of retail patronage. Often, they're only useful for supporting some lunch spots, maybe a Starbucks, and some limited shopping opportunities...these are people who will most likely do more heavy duty shopping on the weekend, closer to home. Downtown Crossing never thrived because of its proximity to office workers; it relied on Boston residents using it as an urban mall.

^ It relied on much more than Boston residents. People came from far and wide to do their shopping in downtgown. They even came from other states....and specifically to shop.

But with all those office workers, why can't the existing storefronts get enough customers to remain filled?

Ron I've had conversations with retail/small business people in downtown crossing in the years past, for example employees in the former old globe bookstore and the guy who owned Cafe Paridiso, which had other locations in Harvard Sq. and the N. End. The rents for ground floor retail and commercial space are absolutely insane. I would guess that this keeps turnover rates high. I don't think the landlords care that much about high turnover. Maybe rents will start to drop if long term vacancies remain.

Back