One dollar fares from Boston to NYC

I took Bolt Bus last week and the WiFi kept getting disconnected to & from NYC.

Aww shucks, I must have just missed you ApoM....I took Bolt down for the first time this weekend. The wifi was spotty so, like, I *had* to read a book. omgggg!1!

Back in my day, if you wanted internet on a bus, you had to run your own telephone cable.

Megabus is starting to look like a Chinatown express...

8925341-standard.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/09/westbound_i-94_between_sprinkl.html

There's Megabus between Chicago and Detroit? No wonder. These fools expanded too quickly. No possibility of quality control.

The original Chinatown bus lines are still Boston-NY only.

With the insane schedules that these buses operate on, how is there time for quality control? Something is gotta give..

I believe megabus was running out of chicago long before it was on the east coast. Also I remember seeing it in england beginning in the early 2000's

'Chinatown' buses run all along the East Coast, down to Philly and DC.

I believe he meant that Fung Wah and Lucky Star have not expanded. There are other chinatown bus lines that go to other east coast locations, but the "original" ones still only go boston-nyc.

Exactly. I wish there were a direct Chinatown service to DC from Boston, but as it is, we have to take Fung Wah or Lucky Star to NY and "transfer" to another company by walking to another office somewhere in Chinatown, buying another ticket, and waiting outside in another first-come, first-serve line.

The financially hobbled MBTA continues to come up with creative ways to reel in cash.

World Wide Tours, a New York City-based, family-run bus company, approached the T with an offer that it couldn?t refuse: Hosting express bus pick-up/drop-off service from the Alewife Red Line Station in Cambridge and the Riverside Green Line Station in Newton to New York City.

The new luxury coach service, which will be known as ?World Wide Bus,? plans to offer free wireless Internet service. Dirt cheap $10 weekday and weekend one-way tickets for all seats will be available through mid-November. Afterwards, fares ?jump? to $15 one-way on weekdays and $20 one-way on weekends for all seats. The coaches carry up to 56 passengers. Buses will arrive at 31st Street and 8th Avenue, near Penn Station.

Peter Pan and Greyhound have served Riverside Station for years, but intercity bus service will be a first for the Red Line terminus. The bus company currently holds separate one-year licenses for each station.

The MBTA stands to pocket nearly $50,000: $12,000 for Alewife Station and $36,000 for Riverside, which has a separate bus facility. ?It?s all about providing multiple transit choices for our customers and maximizing non-fare revenue,? says MBTA General Manager Richard Davey.

The intercity service begins Wednesday, October 27.

http://www.commonwealthmagazine.org/CW-Unbound/Taking-the-T-to-the-Big-Apple.aspx

Last edited:
The Alewife busway always seemed way overbuilt for the number of MBTA routes that serve it. This is a good use of that excess capacity.

Many years ago Massport tried running a Logan Express shuttle from Alewife, but it didn't last very long.

Back