One dollar fares from Boston to NYC

Someday, hopefully. I like Megabus because I've never had to share a seat. Megabus probably isn't happy about that though. Being dropped off at Penn Sta rather than the Port Auth is a plus too.

Last edited:
I had to share a seat from new haven to penn so it wasn't that bad, except the guy next to me was a large middle eastern man who was eating dates the whole trip.

A word of advice....NEVER take Boltbus on a sunday morning after a heavy night of drinking. Was 4 hours of misery and a constant battle with a nauseous stomach.

I took Megabus to and from NYC yesterday, and found the experience acceptable enough that I'd do it again. The ticket, reserved on their website the previous day, cost $13 each way plus a 50-cent fee. I decided to return from NYC two hours earlier than my reservation, and they let me do that for a $5 change fee.

The buses were sufficiently uncrowded that I had a seat row to myself and could recline the seat without bothering anyone behind me.

But I wish they could find a better way into midtown Manhattan than the avenues from the Bronx. My Boston->NYC bus was a half hour late because of all that traffic. This only mattered to me because a friend from India was supposed to meet me at the bus stop. The previous bus, which was scheduled to get there an hour earlier, arrived in NYC exactly when my bus was supposed to arrive -- greatly confusing my friend who expected me to get off then.

Last edited:
^^Too bad you hate cell phones so much. It would have saved your friend a lot of confusion.

The Lucky Star has the best route into the city - the Whitestone Bridge down through the LIE and BQE to the Manhattan Bridge. Of course, this makes sense going to Chinatown and not necessarily to Midtown, but I don't see why the other buses can't take essentially the same route and then go over the 59th St bridge or use the Midtown tunnel. This bypasses all the traffic on the Cross-Bronx and Bruckner expressways, not to mention the upper Manhattan avenue traffic.

My wife once called me in a panic to tell me her returning greyhound bus had just emerged from the Lincoln Tunnel in Jersey. In fact, that trip took the Lincoln Tunnel and then the Jersey Turnpike north to the GW - perhaps judging that roundabout detour to be faster than any of the northbound avenues!

^^Too bad you hate cell phones so much. It would have saved your friend a lot of confusion.

Point taken. Once my bus was 15 minutes overdue and still stuck in the upper 60s, I borrowed a cellphone from a passenger behind me and called my friend.

I wonder if Megabus double-deckers do not fit under some low-clearance bridges that regular buses can safely pass below?

^^That came out a bit snippier than I intended. Apologies.

A real cheapskate in NYC might be able to get away with buying a $5 change-of-reservation ticket to get to Boston, without actually having a reservation to change.

I had a 7:50 pm reservation. I got to the Megabus stop on 31st St. just as the 5:50 bus was loading, and they told me to go to the ticket booth across the street to change the reservation. The booth clerk didn't even ask for my name or reservation, he just took a $5 bill from me and issued a receipt that I gave to the bus driver.

Megabus had free Wi-fi and electric outlets, but I didn't want to carry a laptop around NYC all day so I didn't use either.

Last edited:
I've seen all the crazy routes - the Jersey runaround, the endless avenues of the Bronx. The craziest was maybe a two hour detour on roads skirting the Westchester-Connecticut border to avoid traffic on 95...I'm pretty sure it didn't help shorten the trip.

I wish the buses would just let us off as soon as they entered Manhattan. Im pretty sure the subway to penn would be faster then the 1 hour bus odyssey through the city.

So I took Bolt Bus roundtrip to NYC, this week. Coming home today we all heard this flapping sound outside the window about the time we were heading into New Haven. The driver got out, took a look, got back on the bus, and kept going. It started making the sound again, he got out, took a look, started smoking a cigarette and then jumped up and down on something, got back on the bus, and kept going. It started making the sound again, he got out, took a look, got back on the bus, and kept going. Then we stopped at a Roy Rogers for a snack.

This is what we all took photos of while we were stopped.

The we all got back on the bus and kept going.

tire1.jpg

tire2.jpg

You got back on the bus after seeing that!?

You got back on the bus after seeing that!?

^

And even if you did get back on, I'm surprised everyone else was willing to, too. No one told the driver to call in for a jack and tire?

Would even a regular-sized bus fit under that bridge? From what I've read elsewhere, it looks like the driver got onto a parkway similar to Storrow Drive.

The Street View image of the bridge shows a school bus driving under it with little in the way of clearance. Also in that image is the clearance height, which is 10ft, 9in.

Jass, not that Canadians are of the "utmost importance" but, like any article, it is written for a specific market, a market where people might be concerned that someone they know might be on it. In fact, I heard about it through a Canadian I know living in New York who frequently takes Megabus between New York and Toronto.

Furthermore, if you notice, about 15.5 hours passed between the story's initial publication and the edited version we see now. Meaning they probably already covered the basics of the crash in previous copies but once it was clear that no one of the same nationality of the market to whom this article was written was killed, they updated it to reflect that.

It's exactly the same as when American press highlights that no Americans are killed when a plane goes down in Thailand, for example.

It's exactly the same as when American press highlights that no Americans are killed when a plane goes down in Thailand, for example.

^Yeah, but in defense of the American press, American lives ARE more important than any others. I'm just saying.

I think this is a terrible practice no matter what nations media is reporting.

3,000 killed in explosion! No americans amongst the dead.

Oh ok, nothing of note here! How bout them cowboys!

Back