One Post Office Square Makeover and Expansion | Financial District

A good makeover for sure. Should reflect some more light around the square at least.

IMG_2063.jpeg
IMG_2064.jpeg
IMG_2061.jpeg

The silhouette is actually much more interesting than I expected. It looks good. The little ziggurat on the roof is a nice touch imo and pretty unique on the skyline.

^^ It has the misfortune of being in the 'awkward teenage years' of architecture: Too old to be fashionable, too young to be historic. It's the unloved building age that (along with many, many other economic and social factors) let so many 30-90 year old gems get bulldozed in the midcentury 'urban renewal' programs.

Other than the Custom House and JHT, Exchange Place was my favorite Boston skyscraper until One Congress.

It's hard to see it as being "dated," though I'm perfectly happy to concede it may, indeed, appear that way to some. Early/mid-'80s was when I first got interested in contemporary Boston architecture/development as a kid, so to me the tower still reads as being very current, cutting-edge, timeless. I recall older folks saying it looked "too Dallas" at the time and I thought that was parochial and narrow-minded.

Back on topic: great shots Dr. Rosen Rosen and #bancars!

I worked at 1POS for 14 years - starting while the POS garage was being completed - and have to say the best thing about it was its access to that garage and the old Meridien. When that garage opened, business in downtown Boston was so depressed (the 1990 recession was mild nationally, but very deep in eastern MA) - one thing is that business lunches of the financial/professional kind pretty much died as a widespread culture at that time and never revived to the level before that recession and that, in turn, along with the burgeoning affects of the Big Dig, affected what kind of businesses would and would not thrive in retail addresses downtown.

^^ It has the misfortune of being in the 'awkward teenage years' of architecture: Too old to be fashionable, too young to be historic. It's the unloved building age that (along with many, many other economic and social factors) let so many 30-90 year old gems get bulldozed in the midcentury 'urban renewal' programs.

Really well stated. Exchange place is cool

I think were nearing saturation with blue glass towers, especially with south station tower coming soon, but this is a welcomed addition imo. It really shines. The accent lighting is wonderful as well.

I agree with you re: blue glass. I like that 1 Dalton went with dark grey glass (or whatever color you believe it to be. Some folks apparently think the JHT is green) rather than more blue, but I'm curious why "blue" or "mirrored" seem to be the only options embraced by developers when working with glass cladding (or grey, beige, brick-red, and brown for stone or panel cladding).

I'm not making the case for hot pink skyscrapers or aubergeine mid-rises, but there are other colors available to work with. How about a subtle green (like Parcel 12 ought to have been) or a peach/sunset hue here or there, maybe a tasteful splash of orange-ish?

Back