One Project, Only One

mass88

Reaction score
If you could have one project done in Boston, what would it be? Just one. Doesn't matter if it's a transit project, a new building, a refurb of an existing building, a new park, bike lanes on a particular street, etc.

A redo at city hall/"urban revitalization." I know you could consider this to be 3 different "projects," but...

1) Demolish 1,2, and 3 Center Plaza, offsetting the lost office space with a high rise on the north end of that parcel, next to the current courthouse, which would be retrofitted into city hall offices. Establish a new plaza in front of the new city hall and office tower.
2) Fill in City Hall Plaza, redo/demo JFK, refurb current city hall with public/civic space and retail on the lower floors and, as we've discussed elsewhere, BAC classrooms, lecture halls, and studios in the upper levels, and filling the rest with some leased office space
3) Fill in the state service center block with mid and high rises, possibly putting the lost square footage of federal offices and court space in there, or just regular mixed use residences/offices.

In total, probably $5 billion+

Transit——rapid energy efficient hard-rail expansion underneath the city to the suburbs.

One tower taller than the JHT so height fetishists can shut up.

Real silver line as it was envisioned - from Dudley (or even Mattapan Square) directly to the airport as rail.

Honestly this. Nothing else has the capacity to change how the region gets around and where people choose to live based on their commute. There are many other smaller projects that would improve the subways but NSRL would go beyond Boston.

Honestly this. Nothing else has the capacity to change how the region gets around and where people choose to live based on their commute. There are many other smaller projects that would improve the subways but NSRL would go beyond Boston.

Yeah - it would honestly be NSRL (along with the electrification/etc work needed for it). If not possible I stand by my original silver line pick.

My favorite would change Martha Road from being on the edge of a no man's land to being a short walk from one of the world's great urban parks

Regional Rail (includes NSRL). Simply the single most important project I can imagine right now.

New subway line. Something like andrew sq down mass ave to Harvard sq and beyond but I'm flexible. Andrew sq to Dudley and sorta down blue hill Ave or Warren st to the park and then down blue hill ave out to mattapan.

Purple, Indigo lines w/ DMU/EMU, SSX, NSRL

then, The Big One.....

Back