Paragon Mill I Olneyville I Providence

nicanbot

Reaction score
First I’ve heard of this one. Eleven building industrial complex / mill buildings in Olneyville to be developed into residential. Surprise! First I’ve heard of this one, though: https://pbn.com/35m-redevelopment-planned-for-paragon-mill-in-providence/ Huge complex. Near Rising Sun. Apparently starting this year. If a thread for Olneyville projects is better than one offs... can do. Just wanted to share by the rules :)

Speaking of all things Olneyville--does anyone know what the purpose is of the massive Route 6 project concentrated right in Olneyville? Is it simple maintenance/rehab of deteriorating infrastructure? Or, did it involve actual enhancement, via realignment/fixing of geometries? I think it's mainly done now, but for a while it was rather impressive in terms of its scale and distruptiveness (although it was actually rather miraculous that it didn't lead to hellish traffic jams, given the volumes it serves during rush hour and what a significant regional arterial Route 6 is to begin with....)

It’s a complete rehab and I think will go on for a few more years. I can’t understand it fully but I blame lack of transparency on that: http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/610/ There’s some removal of elevated highway and some half assed bike lanes but nothing very innovative here.

It’s a complete rehab and I think will go on for a few more years. I can’t understand it fully but I blame lack of transparency on that: http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/610/ There’s some removal of elevated highway and some half assed bike lanes but nothing very innovative here.

Thanks for tracking down the RIDOT page. Too bad about the new bike lanes being subpar in your estimation; Providence is just begging for a circumferential bike path that starts at Roger Williams Park, meanders NW along the route 10 corridor, fuses with the Washington Secondary Bike Path at its northern terminus, continues almost due north on 10 and then fuses with the eastern terminus of the Fred Lippitt Bike Path--right where this Route 6 project is happening--before banging a sharp right to head due east through Downtown, and carrying over the river at India Point to fuse finally with the East Bay Bike Path.

It sounds like a fair amount but it would only be about 6 miles to trace that arc.

It's easy to visualize here.

Thanks for tracking down the RIDOT page. Too bad about the new bike lanes being subpar in your estimation; Providence is just begging for a circumferential bike path that starts at Roger Williams Park, meanders NW along the route 10 corridor, fuses with the Washington Secondary Bike Path at its northern terminus, continues almost due north on 10 and then fuses with the eastern terminus of the Fred Lippitt Bike Path--right where this Route 6 project is happening--before banging a sharp right to head due east through Downtown, and carrying over the river at India Point to fuse finally with the East Bay Bike Path.

It sounds like a fair amount but it would only be about 6 miles to trace that arc.

It's easy to visualize here.

Thank you for that map! That helps me understand some of the placement of the planned routes alongside 6/10. This year we should be getting a protected double bike lane on Broadway as well. That should help these routes connect to downtown, the new park and over to India Point.

Back