Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

RandomWalk

Reaction score
If folks succeed in decking most of the trench, it seems there’s got to be a ventilation system. I don’t think I have seen any provisions for one in any of the proposals or Pike documents.

JumboBuc

Reaction score
If folks succeed in decking most of the trench, it seems there’s got to be a ventilation system. I don’t think I have seen any provisions for one in any of the proposals or Pike documents.
The current proposals don't come anywhere near decking "most of the trench," so I don't think this is a problem (yet).

Charlie_mta

Reaction score
I don't think even the Pru tunnel (and under Copley Place extending that) has a ventilation system.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
I don't think even the Pru tunnel (and under Copley Place extending that) has a ventilation system.
The Columbus Center extension of the decking was going to include ventilation. At some point it is needed unless we go all electric (not any time soon!).

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
I think even this small portion will have some form of ventilation based on this is one of the construction updates:

Crews work on installing electrical equipment for the tunnel mechanical systems, including lighting and fire-fighting/ventilation equipment, where the project’s deck will eventually be built over the Turnpike.

393b40

Reaction score
Interesting how they are going to put the slabs over the Pike. To my knowledge they haven't announced any closures on the Pike.
Rough timeline is up on the project site... they do given excellent detailed information about progress and plans on a weekly basis when its available: https://www.buildp12.com/construction-updates

Seriously of the best updated projects in the area for timeline information straight from the developer.

BosDevelop

Reaction score
Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?

bakgwailo

Reaction score
Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?
I would hope it would be a combo of this one plus the one by Fenway that paves the way for more. Really hope at least we get the parcel across from this built (the strange s shape hotel thing), it would have the most impact I think in knitting this area back together.

stick n move

Reaction score
I wonder what all the people who were against Columbus Center think all these years later…. Thank god we saved that exposed highway.
Yea its kind of weird because its not like Boston hasnt already had great success in previously capping the highway in this exact spot before. The pru complex has been wildly successful in covering a massive gash right through the 2nd (after beacon hill) most prestigious neighborhood in the city.

From open air rail yards, then massive highway with spiraling on/off ramps, to a pretty seamlessly integrated back bay and south end/bay village. All of this done multiple decades ago with lots of time to watch just how successful it has remained and even gotten better with time and for construction proccesses to advance, yet until now nobody would even come remotely close to repeating any of that success. If it had never been done before thats one thing, but its been a massive success, yet nothing until now.

Better late than never, but damn.