Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay

RandomWalk

Reaction score
Technically, the Pru complex was constructed nearly concurrently with the Pike. Copley Square was built much later over the ramps. Not much of consequence has been built over the main traffic lanes until now.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?
I'm still kind of amazed that this is actually happening (along with air rights projects at Kenmore/Fenway and South Station). My guess is that these projects will indeed kick start a bit more serious effort, hopefully transforming the Pike neighborhoods over the next 10-15 years.

SuffolkHeights11

Reaction score
Assuming this project turns out well (financially and otherwise) what are the odds it turns out to be a catalyst for several more air rights projects in the city?
I'm speculating here and if someone has more information please correct, but I imagine a huge part of the holdup with air rights projects is the unknown from the state. How much to price the air rights, how to coordinate the construction schedule, and/or will the state even approve it. Hopefully these projects give a foundation and some precedent to air rights projects and show the state that these projects can actually be viable.

JumboBuc

Reaction score
I'm speculating here and if someone has more information please correct, but I imagine a huge part of the holdup with air rights projects is the unknown from the state. How much to price the air rights, how to coordinate the construction schedule, and/or will the state even approve it. Hopefully these projects give a foundation and some precedent to air rights projects and show the state that these projects can actually be viable.
There have been more air rights sold and projects approved than air rights projects actually built (see, Viola, Parcel 15, Red Sox air rights ownership behind Lansdowne, etc.). I’m actually optimistic that regulatory / Commonwealth issues aren’t what impedes air rights projects. Rather, it’s the many legitimate logistical and economic constraints of building above a highway.

But yeah, hopefully success here and at Fenway Center will give others the confidence to move forward on other sites.

curcuas

Reaction score
Exactly. Read the Fenway Center thread; it's all financing. The Commonwealth has been continually supportive.

RandomWalk

Reaction score
The Commonwealth could have decked the whole length and then auctioned leases for development sites on the decks.

gac108

Reaction score
There have been more air rights sold and projects approved than air rights projects actually built (see, Viola, Parcel 15, Red Sox air rights ownership behind Lansdowne, etc.). I’m actually optimistic that regulatory / Commonwealth issues aren’t what impedes air rights projects. Rather, it’s the many legitimate logistical and economic constraints of building above a highway.

But yeah, hopefully success here and at Fenway Center will give others the confidence to move forward on other sites.
According to info here on the Viola, it will be getting started this year I think. Once that gets underway, I'm confident that the parcels across the street from it next to Kings garage and behind Berklee College will get moving too. Those are the ones that I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for superb street level plus serious height.

xec

Reaction score
I wonder what all the people who were against Columbus Center think all these years later…. Thank god we saved that exposed highway.
I think that "all the people who were against Columbus Center" basically came down to Ned Flaherty and the guy who headed the community advisory committee. Ned was just fighting to preserve his views and I have no idea what the other guy's motives were. They sure knew how to work up a crowd, though.

GW2500

Reaction score
I think that "all the people who were against Columbus Center" basically came down to Ned Flaherty and the guy who headed the community advisory committee. Ned was just fighting to preserve his views and I have no idea what the other guy's motives were. They sure knew how to work up a crowd, though.
That’s right and he used to post on here. I always pictured Ned Flanders.