Parcel 25 | Kneeland St | Chinatown

reverend_paco

Reaction score
This is back.

State is unbundling the easiest parcel and putting it up for sale:

MassDOT is looking to lease a one acre plot of state-owned land along Kneeland Street to a developer to build a mix of housing and commercial space. Known as Parcel 25, the site is just a stone’s throw away from South Station amidst highway on-ramps that connect the Leather District, Mass Pike and Central Artery.
Developers will be allowed to build up to 27 stories on the property, and must make at least 20% of the building’s housing units affordable, according to state officials. They say they hope to select a bidder for the site by the end of 2020.
Parcel 25 is the third state property in Downtown Boston to hit the auction block in the past two months. In late September, Governor Baker announced his intention to sell the Hynes Convention Center as part of a plan to finance the expansion of the Boston Convention and Expo Center. Earlier this month, the administration unveiled plans to sell the Hurley Building, a state office complex between Beacon Hill and Government Center.
This is not the first time the state has tried to spur private development on Parcel 25. The plot was part of a swath of land offered to developers in 2012 and 2016. Those plans, which included the adjacent decommissioned Veolia power plant and a handful of other government-owned parcels, failed to attract any viable proposals.

FK4

Reaction score
Why is the height limited to 27 stories? Seriously, this is a windswept stretch of road along highways and the state should do whatever it takes to override ridiculous zoning limits here and just let the developer build whatever height they want. Especially if they're demanding 20% affordable units.

I do have to also agree with the concerns of the locals quoted in this article, that by chopping off the easiest-to-develop parcel, the state is basically making it impossible to ever get anyone to build on the others. On the other hand, I'm no engineer or architect, so I don't know, but looking at this area on a map development of any of the other parcels seems extraordinarily difficult, much more so than what seems like relatively simple parcels over the Pike that themselves have shown to be impossible to develop.

DZH22

Reaction score
Why is the height limited to 27 stories? Seriously, this is a windswept stretch of road along highways and the state should do whatever it takes to override ridiculous zoning limits here and just let the developer build whatever height they want. Especially if they're demanding 20% affordable units.
Take it up with the FAA.

FK4

Reaction score
Take it up with the FAA.
Is that actually the FAA limit here, though? This is right on the edge. And, surely even if it's in the 300 ft zone, it must be only a few feet over the line, and I would think the state could argue with the FAA on this one for an exception.

stefal

Reaction score
Looks like its in between 325 and 350, which comes close to 27 stories.

dman10089

Reaction score
Found some old renders for the site back from 2012. Not sure if I'm just the only one seeing these for the first time...but interesting what could go here:

Last edited:

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
The mythical South Station tower is pretty much the last place you can build tall, moving south from the Financial District. Then you hit the FAA safety buffers for Runway 9/27 aborted takeoffs and landings.

Reactions: FK4

DZH22

Reaction score
The mythical South Station tower is pretty much the last place you can build tall, moving south from the Financial District. Then you hit the FAA safety buffers for Runway 9/27 aborted takeoffs and landings.
There's that garage across from 1 Lincoln where they only proposed a 380'.

odurandina

Reaction score
Parcel 25 has been determined for 300' top.
27 stories will be pushing it.
125 Lincoln is on the other side of the FAA dividing line.

Last edited:

stick n move

Reaction score

I do have to also agree with the concerns of the locals quoted in this article, that by chopping off the easiest-to-develop parcel, the state is basically making it impossible to ever get anyone to build on the others. On the other hand, I'm no engineer or architect, so I don't know, but looking at this area on a map development of any of the other parcels seems extraordinarily difficult, much more so than what seems like relatively simple parcels over the Pike that themselves have shown to be impossible to develop.
This is an air rights parcel, so its much harder. Luckily it has about 50% solid ground so that helps a lot. If this gets built thats great news. Parcel 26 next door is on flat ground, so its much easier to build. Then depending on how its broken up you have room for 2 more parcels on solid ground too next to these.

Found some old renders for the site back from 2012. Not sure if I'm just the only one seeing these for the first time...but interesting what could go here:

Last edited:

stellarfun

Reaction score
...MassDOT is trying again to break the Kneeland Street Curse — this time by selling them one at a time, starting with the smaller piece, known as Parcel 25. On Wednesday, the agency put out a request for information to get advice from the development community that could shape the upcoming bidding process. Although the property officially hits the market in the spring, the calls are already starting to come in.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/13/business/prime-parcel-near-south-station-finally-hits-market-again/

HarvardP

Reaction score
I'm sure there are issues involved with any site, but this one in particular seems to have just the right recipe to turn developers' stomachs. The DOT offices sticking around means the builder would likely need to offer office and garage space at a peppercorn rent or build around the existing structure.

meddlepal

Reaction score
I'm sure there are issues involved with any site, but this one in particular seems to have just the right recipe to turn developers' stomachs. The DOT offices sticking around means the builder would likely need to offer office and garage space at a peppercorn rent or build around the existing structure.
Parcel 25 is a strip of land... the offices are on the other parcel along with the steam plant.

HarvardP

Reaction score
Ok, right, it is broken up into two parcels now. I think 25 alone will be a tough sell.

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
Ok, right, it is broken up into two parcels now. I think 25 alone will be a tough sell.
I actually think Parcel 25 alone is the easier parcel to sell.

Decent size for a downtown parcel.
Limited amount of air rights encumbrance.
No steam plant to deal with.
No public park to deal with.
No existing MassDOT building to deal with.
No thru-access to Parcel 27 to deal with.