Reaction score
Looks almost done:

PkEssex-01.jpg

PkEssex-06.jpg

Crown not quite done:

PkEssex-07.jpg

A rather boring entryway:

PkEssex-05.jpg

Anyone know what exactly the plan is here? It almost looks as if a false facade will be put in:

PrkEssex-02.jpg

PkEssex-03.jpg

PkEssex-04.jpg

I would be very surprised if this was just going to be a false front. (space is to valuable) The steel structure is interesting. Maybe it is going to support the in-between facade while they demo the back of that building in order to rebuild something that would have a more marketable layout.

It is worth noting that in the Stern and Company building, that lovely Venetian Gothic building at 15 Essex street between the infill frames, still has a rather intact stamped tin ceiling with original hardware for lighting visible before the plywood barriers.
I'm amazed that the ceiling survived rather intact on the ground level in addition to the ironwork along the roof, the possibly original window casements (Although comparing the photos two windows were added later), and the facade in general. I am amazed the quality of materials and craft was sufficient enough to resist years of neglect given the severe decay of other buildings in the vicinity in shorter time spans.

000618.jpg

I assume that the Stern building is being stabilized such that the footprint, suggested here before, will be enlarged to make redevelopment and leasing more economically viable. The tax credit from preserving the building, given its remarkable condition for a derelict, should be nifty for the developer.

Back