Parking for scooters and motorcycles

czsz

Reaction score
City unveils new motorized bike parking on Newbury St. Not sure if this is necessary; never had a problem with these things tied up on the sidewalk.

Parking bargain lures efficient vehicles
Scooters get 25-cent slots in the Back Bay

Newbury Street, of all places, now offers the best parking deal in town, 25 cents an hour. But there is a catch: You have to ride a scooter or motorcycle to fit in the parking space.

In response to last year?s scooter parking debate, the Boston Transportation Department has taken six parking spaces on Newbury and Boylston streets and divided them into the city?s first metered bike slots. By 3 p.m. today, some 39 slots will be available to bikes in front of the Apple store, Starbucks, and other hot spots, each with meters that either a scooter or motorcycle can be chained to for safety.

Cars pay 25 cents for just 15 minutes to park. In addition to being cheaper, bike meters will not have time limits, meaning that bike-riding commuters can arrive at 8 a.m., feed the meter, and stay all day.

By creating the bike slots, city officials, including Mayor Thomas M. Menino are signaling a commitment to ecofriendly transportation, with many scooters getting 100 miles to a gallon. Parking signs for the slots are appropriately green, and if the slots are well used, more may pop up in other Boston neighborhoods next year.

?We have to accommodate the changes going on in our modes of transportation,?? said Menino, who is expected for today?s 3 p.m. unveiling on Boylston Street.

?I find more and and more people driving scooters than ever before. We?re accommodating another class of riders in our city so they can park safety.??

Officials also hope by providing legal parking spots on streets, scooter riders will begin to migrate off sidewalks, where they have customarily parked for free.

But will scooter owners really pay to park when plopping a bike on the sidewalk still does not cost anything?

?I can honestly say I will do whatever is more convenient,?? said Caryn Hsu, 20, who rode her Honda Metropolitan scooter to work yesterday in the Back Bay. ?Sometimes parking on the sidewalk is a hassle. I have to wait for people to move on the sidewalk, and sometimes people get a little upset if I bring my bike on the sidewalk. If there were so many parking spots on the street that it?s just as easy to park there, I would pay 25 cents.??

Thomas Tinlin, the city?s transportation commissioner, said he is optimistic that bike owners will gravitate to the slots because owners he has spoken with have repeatedly told him they would rather obey the law and inhabit an official parking space.

While Boston allows scooter-size bikes to be parked unobtrusively on sidewalks, they are technically not allowed there. If the city chose to ticket bikes on sidewalks, it could do so at any time, particularly now that most scooters are required by the Registry of Motor Vehicles to have easy-to-track license plates.

Back Bay business owners think the new slots are a good idea, even if means the loss of a few, valuable car parking spaces.

?As motorized vehicles, scooters should be on the street,?? said Tom Clay, district manager for Sleepy?s mattresses on Boylston Street.

Hsu said she appreciates that the city is trying to accommodate scooters, but suggested a slightly different strategy.

?Maybe if they created the slots and let bikers park in them for free, then more people would be encouraged to buy scooters and save the Earth,?? she said.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma.../29/parking_bargain_lures_efficient_vehicles/

Although I've seen alot of those Vespa things around lately, they seem just fine locked up to a street light.

Finally.

Fucking finally.

I don't even own a scooter, but this was needed. Not because there was no where to park them, as we all know they can be parked on sidewalks, but because it is the city acknowledging that there are multiple transportation options available to people, and they should cater to all of them, ESPECIALLY the most socially desirable.

Pedestrians > Bikes > Scooters > Motorcycles > Cars

They were fine on the sidewalk, but I think it's technically illegal these days. Either way it should've been free.

To the "they were fine on the sidewalk crowd": They were not fine on the sidewalk. Walgreens. Marathon Sports. Trader Joes. Three popular spots where four, five, six machines are ridden and parked on the sidewalk. It impedes pedestrians.

Sidewalks are for walking. Not mopeds and scooters.

I don't understand having no time limit. This area still caters to tourists/shoppers. Why would you let someone who works in the Pru drive a scooter to Newbury and park there all day?

I actually wonder what the impact will be on transit. The assumption is that these people will drive cars less and drive their scooters more. What if the choice had been between T and scooter?

50cc scooters and mopeds can go on the sidewalk. Some scooter have more than 50cc, so they are technically motorcycles and can't.
Sidewalks are for walking. Not mopeds and scooters.
Screw that.

I don't understand having no time limit. This area still caters to tourists/shoppers. Why would you let someone who works in the Pru drive a scooter to Newbury and park there all day?

I'm sure if there is too much demand this will be changed, but as a new initiative they're probably afraid of having them sit empty for any length of time.

I actually wonder what the impact will be on transit. The assumption is that these people will drive cars less and drive their scooters more. What if the choice had been between T and scooter?

I walked up Boylston last night, and was glad to see motorcycles parked in almost all these spots. Now if someone could just start ticketing scooters! Mechanized devices don't belong on the sidewalk.

Define 'mechanized'. I consider my human-powered bicycle to be a machine, and bicycles are commonly parked on sidewalks (locked to meters, sign poles, iron fences, etc.)

Old people with mechanized parts walk on the sidewalk all the time

Not to mention old people on their Hover-Arounds! Stay in the street, dammit!

Here it is:

28callahanimgB-popup.jpg

50cc scooters and mopeds can legally park on the sidewalk. Do you see people triping and falling over scooters? They take up barely more room than a pedal bike. This being freedom hating Boston, I'm sure you'll get your wish and they'll make it illegal to park them on the sidewalk someday anyway. Just be patient.

50cc scooters and mopeds can legally park on the sidewalk. Do you see people triping and falling over scooters? They take up barely more room than a pedal bike. This being freedom hating Boston, I'm sure you'll get your wish and they'll make it illegal to park them on the sidewalk someday anyway. Just be patient.

I hope so, because in my neighborhood, the self-annointed ones park them wherever they like. And not only do they take up more room than a pedal bike, since there's no identified spot for them----as opposed to bike racks---they just plop them down whatever level surface they like. With no regard to pedestrian traffic that has to navigate the sideWALK.

The Architectural Access Board requires anything defined as a "walkway" provide 48" of clear space (so that wheelchairs can get by). If a bike or scooter infringes on the 48 inches, then the offender should be ticketed. If not, no problem.

The Architectural Access Board requires anything defined as a "walkway" provide 48" of clear space (so that wheelchairs can get by). If a bike or scooter infringes on the 48 inches, then the offender should be ticketed. If not, no problem.

I usually carry a tape rule in my bag. Maybe I'll start taking pictures and sending them to Ms. Kressel. She always seems geared up for a fight. (Shirley, are you still with us here on the intarwebz?)

EDIT TO ADD

I went home for dinner a few hours ago, then walked down to the public library to return some books before going back to the office. Two scooters in front of Supercuts. Two more further down in front of Abe & Louies. Only one wasn't perpendicular to the street.

Back