Photo of the Day, Boston Style - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
The park in the middle of it all is absolutely beautiful - and usually empty. Overall, is the project a success or a failure? I guess it depends on whom you ask.

Unpeopled spaces are cheaper to keep clean.

Perhaps this was part of the project's value-engineering.

Unpeopled spaces are cheaper to keep clean.

Boston's next urban planning model?

PAP-PrairieView-park.jpg

Wait, no, that's the current model.

I love the different architectural styles present on every street in Boston.

Pedestrian traffic in Downtown Crossing.

^^ But aren't those scenes all full of buildings that were "out of place" or "inappropriate for their surroundings" at one time or other?

I trust that the leaders of our city know best, and they seem to think that that's a bad thing... Is Boston's history (gasp) one of buildings that are "out of context" or "too tall" adding dynamism to city blocks?

**Head explodes**

^ If I didn't see the monument in the background I may have mistaken that for Quincy.

In all honesty, it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be. And it'll, hopefully, get even better when they get a move on the Austin St. re-development.

Why do people keep poking fun at Quincy? It is actually an interesting place and if it keeps growing it should hit 100,000 people fairly soon.

Marina Bay is not a perfect development but there are lessons to be taken from it for this development in Charlestown and also the future one at Columbia Point. Heck, I'd like to see Corita's gas tower removed and Commercial Point redeveloped in a similar manner.

Isn't Quincy already over 100k? Personally, I'm a fan of Quincy.

People make fun of Quincy because its the cool thing to do. Just shit on everything and your cool. Thats some people's motto around here. It makes you look smart you should probably do it more often.

I like Quincy. I always thought of it as the equivalent of Cambridge, minus Harvard and MIT, and all the things those two universities bring--sorta like a Cambridge without the money and the pretentiousness. Something it has that Cambridge doesn't, though, is that huge stretch of ocean shoreline.

I'd love to see Quincy urbanize a bit more around Hancock Street, and it appears there is a shift toward that direction. Quincy Center is beginning to build-up quite a bit.

I like Quincy. I always thought of it as the equivalent of Cambridge, minus Harvard and MIT, and all the things those two universities bring--sorta like a Cambridge without the money and the pretentiousness.

Somerville, in other words. Not knocking either, I've lived in them both.

But I agree that Quincy ought to have more urban amenities and more dense development, perticularly around each of its multiple red line stops.

He's referring to the fact that no change has happened to that view since 1992.

Actually, there is a little bit of change: Independence Wharf and the Moakley.

I usually hate "that's awesome" posts, but I have to say that Endus's photographs are beautiful. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back