Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XIV (2020)

20200626_193315.jpg

Beautiful! Super similar composition and lighting from my photo back in May. The Garden has the classic summer warmth these days.

Great photo! I sort of dig those balconies.

As an aside, I've never been more disappointed with a museum than with the ICA... (architecturally speaking).
DSR made a pretty evocative exterior form but it's really let down in a number of areas. Namely that giant glass wall facing the water, which is just a hallway... unceremoniously plunked next to a couple exhibit rooms. There's a few benches along it, but really looks like they ran out of money up there...

Also the stairway on the far right is always blocked off. Really critical element to turn the corner there and it's just an unfortunate awkward resolution.
Their tower for Columbia University in NYC has the same exact problem. A giant public gesture that never got proper administrative/security/safety approval, so it's off-limits all the time...

Probably the part of Boston for which "empty on a Saturday morning" is absolutely typical regardless of COVID.

I was going to write the very same thing, George. If you don't have ground floor food/retail and just have fortress buildings that treat pedestrians like aliens, don't expect human life to abound there.

Back