Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XV (2021)

F5D5BB56-449C-46FA-8EE0-F0596D15A309.jpeg

^^ I'll see your Mem Drive photo and raise you

We were probably about 2 miles apart there. Hyatt is a perfect bathroom pitstop if you park behind it on Vassar. I think I was parked at the last pullover before Longfellow Bridge for those above pics. From where you were, you should have turned around and hauled ass to the BU Bridge!

Oh dang, I could really stand to learn where the key bathroom pitstops are around Boston. I usually will drop into a cafe and pray they have their bathroom open, but were some times last year at the height of the insanity when I'd hold it for 4 hours plus.

And yeah, I parked at the end of Vassar where it meets up with Memorial and did a little walking in both directions but kept it short because I decided to not pay for parking lol.

Oh dang, I could really stand to learn where the key bathroom pitstops are around Boston. I usually will drop into a cafe and pray they have their bathroom open, but were some times last year at the height of the insanity when I'd hold it for 4 hours plus.

And yeah, I parked at the end of Vassar where it meets up with Memorial and did a little walking in both directions but kept it short because I decided to not pay for parking lol.

Vassar is good because it becomes free after 6. Memorial is good because both sides are free, and the boathouse areas are free as of 5:31 (half hour parking until 6, then infinite).

Bathroom tips:
Hyatt for sure, parking on Vassar.
MIT at this entrance on Mass Ave
Faneuil Hall
South Station
North Station
Pru Mall
Longwood Mall (by Food Court)
Seaport Hotel (across from WTC)
Behind the Asian food court in this building in Porter
Assembly Square right here
Bunker Hill Musuem Basement in Charlestown
Piers Park in Eastie has 2-3 private bathroom stalls.

That covers a pretty good area. Otherwise I usually lean towards hotels over cafes. Another good one since you have your car is the McDonald's off McGrath Highway at Twin City Plaza. Also if you park on Cambridge Parkway behind the Royal Sonesta (best place for free parking if you're going to a Garden event) the Science Museum and Cambridgeside Galleria food court are both close by.

Obviously, I have been at this for a long time. Nothing ruins a good adventure more than having to take a leak! At this point during Covid, I often go into the woods (locally to Boston I hit Fells, Blue Hills, Squantum in Quincy) but will be fully vaccine covered by June and can return to public society! I hope this helps! I also come in from the 'burbs!

go-to bathroom tip when walking around and looking at architecture and transit junk and there's not a convenient public bathroom (this doesn't apply between 7am-3pm): when "the call arises," migrate into a more residential neighborhood (if you're not already in one) and with all the construction going on there are bound to be accessible and unlocked throne depots/portapotties at various residential and smaller commercial sites.

Last edited:
It isn't often that I get the privilege of being at a complete dead stop on this ramp, particularly with my camera right on the seat next to me. While I consider Avalon 6th out of 6 in the NS/Gov't Center new skyscrapers department, it always looks good from this angle.

IMG_8569 by David Z, on Flickr

It isn't often that I get the privilege of being at a complete dead stop on this ramp, particularly with my camera right on the seat next to me. While I consider Avalon 6th out of 6 in the NS/Gov't Center new skyscrapers department, it always looks good from this angle.

That bit of the ramp is a nightmare with it being wide enough for 2 cars while technically being just one lane and with various people doing some amount of both.

Back