Photo of the Day, Boston Style: Part XVIII (2024)

Arenacale

Reaction score
Kicked off the new year with a family trip to the forever awesome Museum of Science, specifically to see the new "Heart of New England" Omni film (my wife works for MathWorks, who helped fund it). Pretty good, with lots of nice overhead shots of Boston. The Museum itself has changed quite a bit from even the last time we were there a couple of years ago, they've knocked out the wall between the entry hallway and Blue Wing, so you can see into the main galleries now. Mathematica has been moved to the Theater of Electricity as a result, but I'm kind of just happy they kept one of the classic exhibits.
abIMG_3206.JPG

abIMG_3281.JPG

abIMG_3233.JPG
abIMG_3241.JPG
abIMG_3246.JPG
abIMG_3210.JPG
abIMG_3211.JPG
abIMG_3214.JPG
abIMG_3284.JPG

Kicked off the new year with a family trip to the forever awesome Museum of Science, specifically to see the new "Heart of New England" Omni film (my wife works for MathWorks, who helped fund it). Pretty good, with lots of nice overhead shots of Boston. The Museum itself has changed quite a bit from even the last time we were there a couple of years ago, they've knocked out the wall between the entry hallway and Blue Wing, so you can see into the main galleries now. Mathematica has been moved to the Theater of Electricity as a result, but I'm kind of just happy they kept one of the classic exhibits. View attachment 46327
View attachment 46326
View attachment 46328View attachment 46324View attachment 46325View attachment 46321View attachment 46322View attachment 46323View attachment 46337
Always have loved the Museum of Science. I went there and the planetarium a lot as a kid from Cambridge.

Looks like 349 Dudley Street in Roxbury. The building on the right is the Vine Street Community Center.
Hehe, wow you got that quicker than I did. That was from an afternoon of wandering kind of lost (intentionally). It would have taken me a minute to remember where I was.

The rest are more recognizable, but they all are:
  1. Francis Street, Longwood
  2. Broadway Station
  3. Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Mission Hill
  4. 349 Dudley Street, near Nubian Square
  5. The Fens

Love these. And they showcase how Boston’s real strengths are at street-level interaction and walking vibe — utterly independent of and unbeholden to height fetishism and the quest for a super-tall (written as a “fan” of tall buildings).

Love these. And they showcase how Boston’s real strengths are at street-level interaction and walking vibe — utterly independent of and unbeholden to height fetishism and the quest for a super-tall (written as a “fan” of tall buildings).

But also how there’s no street-level interaction and walking vibe built in the last 100 years that’s worth photographing.

But also how there’s no street-level interaction and walking vibe built in the last 100 years that’s worth photographing.
There are pix of city hall, dtx, and the Hancock in that group of pix, but sure

Ah, yes. What a clear, deliberate photo of Boston City Hall 🙄

And any skyscrapers included in the downtown or back bay photos are meant to be interesting background pieces. The photographer isn’t saying “look how attractive the base of One Boston Place is”, rather “look how neat it is that there are highrises behind these cool, old 19th century buildings”.

Back