Pinebank Ruins

briv

Reaction score
For those of you unfamiliar with the place, the old Perkins Mansion, commonly known as Pinebank, is the ruin of an old Queen Anne Style brick and terracotta mansion that sits on a promontory which juts out into Jamaica Pond It was constructed in 1870 for a wealthy Bostonian named James Perkins, the son of Thomas Perkins who is perhaps best known as the founder of The Perkins School for the Blind. The building's architect was John Hubbard Sturgis, who also designed several other notable Boston buildings, including the Ames-Webster Mansion in the Back Bay.

Initially, the mansion served as a private residence for Perkins, but was later bought out by the city of Boston when Jamaica Pond became part of the Emerald Necklace. Evidently, Olmstead was fond of the house, feeling it would be a compliment to his park system and, thus,incorporated it into his designs. In the subsequent century, the building served as, among other things, the first home for the Boston Children's Museum and the home of the Engineering Department of the Boston Parks Commission. In 1976 the building was destroyed by fire and has been vacant ever since.

During last 30 years, Pinebank has sat a ruin, continuing to decay and slowly being swallowed up by the nature surrounding it. It has become a favorite target of vandals, and home to vagrants. Today it exists in a very advanced state of disintegration.

I just learned several days ago that what's left of the structure will soon be razed, pending a BLC go ahead. This was the recommendation of a structural analysis conducted recently which arrived at the conclusion that the building is far too gone to be saved. So, being fascinated by this place for some time, I thought I would take some photos while it was still there and post them on the board. I would also like to read what you all think of the possibility of this building being razed. I'd especially like to read the views of those of you who consider yourselves preservationists.

*I will write some descriptions and edit them in a bit later when I get the time.

Boston_map.jpg

pinebank_gearth.jpg

I just wanted people to get an idea of site's idyllic location. In photo 1 its just behind that group of trees to the right center. Though I didnt really captured it in any of these pictures -- due to the fact Im a lousy photographer-- Jamaica Pond is very beautiful place. I think its one of the best spots along the Emerald Necklace. Those who have never been really ought to make an effort to visit.
1.jpg

View of the boathouse from the shore just below Pinebank.
2.jpg

2a.
Jamaica Pond is stocked with salmon and rainbow trout. This salmon that I found washed up on the shoreline was a good 26" long.
2a.jpg

The rolling green fields adjacent to the site.
3.jpg

This is the looping path that runs around the building.
4.jpg

Here you can see the building peeking up over the slope of the promontory.
5.jpg

6.jpg

The building has been fenced off with an 8' chain-link that has become covered in vegetation. Photos 7-13 are all taken around the perimeter of the fence.
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Over the fence to get a better look. The closer you get the better an appreciation you get. I can imagine how this thing looked when it was shiny and new. How do they allow a building like this to fall into such a condition?
14.jpg

Ive never seen graffiti on a tree before. Its really a shame. The building is flanked by two beautiful, enormous sycamores.
15.jpg

15a.jpg

Condemned!
16.jpg

Photos 17-21 are closer shots around the perimeter. Notice the steps up to the patio. Originally there was a low brick wall around this. Not much of it is left today.
17.jpg

17a.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20a.jpg

21.jpg

The following are few shots of the terracotta details in the facade. A few are in still pretty good shape, but much has been damaged or eroded.
22.jpg

23.jpg

23a.jpg

23b.jpg

23d.jpg

23c.jpg

This building is in severely rough shape. The mortar binding the walls has been reduced to sand and the only thing holding much of this building up is gravity. The inside is a complete loss. The entire first floor has caved in to the basement. The limestone window frames are separating from the exterior wall. I was tempted to venture deeper into the building but I was afraid it would collapse on me. I leaned on a window sill and the whole brick wall below it shifted.
24.jpg

24a.jpg

24b.jpg

24c.jpg

25.jpg

25a.jpg

25b.jpg

26.jpg

Its a hell of a tragedy, but this building is gone. Any sort of restoration would involve essentially rebuilding virtually the entire house from scratch. If this were to happen, the costs would be huge and at the end you would still simply have a reproduction, not the original. However, although the building cannot be saved, we still have this amazing site. I feel this space in which the old mansion is situated is far more extraordinary than the building itself, even if were in perfect condition. It's basically an outdoor room enclosed in a wall of pines. The possibilities for this space are huge. Hopefully someone realizes this.
27.jpg

28.jpg

Great pics Briv!

Speaking to people that remember the building, and being told that the it was going to be demolished the consensus was Well that's too bad. I feel the same way, its too bad that it wasn't taken care of and they certainly don't (can't) make them like that anymore.

The graffiti bats are very appropriate. I barely remember going to the haunted houses they had before the Children's Museum moved but my wife who's from JP remembers them vividly with witches jumping out at you and about playing dress-up with a chest in the attic full of vintage clothes.

Her father says that when he was a teenager they would go there free and it was like a "mini Smithsonian" with teaching exhibits He also mentioned part of it being moved "in town".

From the Pinebank.org website:

Future Decided
On Sept. 26, despite vigorous vocal opposition, substantial exhibits detailing progress to date by the Friends, letters from many professional organizations, and a structural assessment indicating stabilization was possible, the Boston Landmarks Commission (BLC) approved the request by the Boston Parks Department to demolish Pinebank, and replace with a footprint of the foundation. Salvageable materials are to be saved so that a future building will not be precluded. More details will follow. There was no discussion of exhibits presented, or of alternatives to demolition. Funds from the operating Budget for stabilization will be used for demolition.

Here's some info on Pinebank I found on the JP Historical Society web site.
http://www.jphs.org/home/
You'll find a lot of real good historic images of that area.

Pinebank I was built in 1802 by China trade merchant James Perkins (1761-1822) as a Federal country house on the banks of Jamaica Pond.
Photograph courtesy of Anthony Mitchell Sammarco.
pinebank-1.jpg

===============

Pinebank II was built in 1848 on the site of the original house by Edward Newton Perkins.
Photograph courtesy of Anthony Mitchell Sammarco.
pinebank-2.jpg

===============

Pinebank III, built when Pinebank II burned out in 1868. Designed by Sturgis & Brigham in Gothic style with red brick and imported English tan terracotta. The driveway entrance was made to commemorate all the Perkins homes with the dates they were built worked into the terracotta over the door, while the Pond entrance retained the prior balcony porch concept. Pinebank III seems not as elegant as its predecessor, but life there must have been pleasant. To the east the family had easy access to the Pond via their cove in the adjacent vale later filled in by the Park Commissioners. To the west, easy access was had to the Pond via a set of sandstone steps installed in 1864 and purchased from the auction of the former John Hancock Mansion on Beacon Hill. Notable also were the giant cottonwood trees on either side of the house and its ivy, brought from England.
pinebank3.jpg

===================

Perkins' Cove was once located on Jamaica Pond below Pinebank. It was filled in before World War I.
covejp.jpg

pinebank.jpg

childrens-museum.jpg

So what is the Parks Department plan for this now-empty land? Will there be a Pinebank IV, or a replica of III?

I read about this "mansion" while I was killing time last summer. I went to a community web-site and even committed to a donation before even seeing the property...when I eventually did see it I must admit I felt like a fool. Something should definitely be done at this site; maybe Pinebanks IV, but this house was certainly not worth saving.

The Boston Landmarks Commission is continuing its design review of whatever is planned for the site on Tuesday, June 26 at 4:50 PM in the 9th floor conference room (Room 900) at City Hall.

The agenda says "interpretation of the building and site".

The meeting is open to the public.

Has anyone seen any plans for what will actually end up here?

Ive seen several proposals, all of which involved keeping the original building's foundation visible -- two included walls and one of those included some modest new construction. The proposal that won I believe was just a simple concrete outline of the original building's foundation with a plaque and some landscaping. I'll see if if can find the proposals' PDF and post the images.

The Globe said:
Where Pinebank once stood, a memorial patch of green

July 22, 2007

Although Pinebank Mansion was demolished in January, the landmark home that overlooked Jamaica Pond for 138 years will not be forgotten soon.

The Boston Parks and Recreation Department is preparing to build a small memorial on the site where the building once stood, and develop the area as a quiet recreational spot. The $350,000 plan calls for an outline of where the building's perimeter had been to be marked off in granite. Signs will indicate various features of the former building, and a walking path will link the site to Jamaica Pond.

"People do want to move forward," said Margaret Dyson, director of historic parks for the city parks and recreation agency. "They want this to be a positive place that is used by the public, which it hasn't been for three decades."

Built by a wealthy philanthropist in 1868, Pinebank mansion had been vacant since 1976, when a community arts program that operated in the building closed. The property was fenced off, but vandals got inside and caused considerable damage. The city also did not maintain the building, which suffered serious fire and water damage and was deemed irreparable last year.

Dyson said the site where the building once stood will have considerable grass. The area could be a venue for low-key musical events because of its isolation from heavily traveled sections of the greenway, according to Dyson. "It's a lovely spot. It's a really quiet, peaceful spot. Jamaica Pond Park is a thin park, and this is away from the roads."

Over the years, the community was divided over reuse of the mansion, the only building that landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted included in his design for the Emerald Necklace parks. Named after the stately pines that separated the building from Jamaica Pond, the Victorian-Gothic mansion was built by Edward Perkins, whose family made their fortune in the China trade.

ROBERT PREER
? Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

Back