Pinnacle at Central Wharf (Harbor Garage) | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as it's Michelle Wu's Boston we'll never see a building over 500' get approved or built at any site across the entire city (not counting the ones that were already in motion). They really needed to make those approvals happen during the Marty Walsh era, but if I recall the CLF lawsuit got in the way. The garage is a moneymaker and isn't going to be replaced by something 150'. It will stay there in perpetuity without some type of miracle happening, and those miracles aren't going to happen under this administration.
The garage is in a very bad state of decrepitude and a savvy developer would allow that decrepitude to continue unabated.

https://www.boston.com/uncategorize...0m-in-financing-for-the-boston-harbor-garage/

^^^ This article is from 2013. IIRC--and confirmation can probably be found in an even older aB thread re: Chiofaro's proposed development -- 2013 marked the refinancing of a five-year balloon note provided to Chiofaro et al in 2008 (for a smaller amount).

Obviously, the 2013, five-year $90 million note was refinanced in 2018, and now again in 2023. No need to delve into not paying down even $1 of the principal, especially given the current environment of rising interest rates.

As long as it's Michelle Wu's Boston we'll never see a building over 500' get approved or built at any site across the entire city (not counting the ones that were already in motion). They really needed to make those approvals happen during the Marty Walsh era, but if I recall the CLF lawsuit got in the way. The garage is a moneymaker and isn't going to be replaced by something 150'. It will stay there in perpetuity without some type of miracle happening, and those miracles aren't going to happen under this administration.

What is it about Mayor Wu that will prevent these sorts of developments from happening?

What is it about Mayor Wu that will prevent these sorts of developments from happening?

I should turn this around and ask where your faith comes from that tall buildings remain in our horizon?

1. While on the city council she publicly opposed many large projects, including Winthrop Square.
2. She publicly works against developers and not with them. She caters more to her NIMBY base there.
3. This proposal has no chance while she's in office.
4. Rent control isn't going to incentive residential development here.
5. Early returns on key "litmus" parcels, such as the Hurley site and that garage by South Station, point to height being the enemy.

Where is the next 500' building going to come from? She talks about affordable housing and yet...

Under her, height is the enemy, housing will stall, and critical parcels that could hold major residential towers will instead be built as squat labs because those are the incentives that have been created.

Of course, then we can turn to the larger issue of the state's imminent downward trajectory after the Questions 1 and 4 fiasco, which is going to further incentive businesses and value creators to seek greener($$$) pastures out of state, simultaneously shrinking our tax intake while increasing our tax dependency. By 2028-2030 all of these mistakes are going to be painfully obvious. At least we had a good run on the skyscraper front and that won't be taken away from us. "A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush." I'll be happy for the next few years with our 10 buildings 600'+ and 23 500'+, but when it's the same entering the 2030's don't say I didn't warn you.

The one building X-factor is that 700' residential near North Station. Everything else over 500' has stalled or outright died on the vine so there's nothing left in the pipeline. Would any of you bet on that getting built?

I should turn this around and ask where your faith comes from that tall buildings remain in our horizon?

1. While on the city council she publicly opposed many large projects, including Winthrop Square.
2. She publicly works against developers and not with them. She caters more to her NIMBY base there.
5. Early returns on key "litmus" parcels, such as the Hurley site and that garage by South Station, point to height being the enemy.

Where is the next 500' building going to come from? She talks about affordable housing and yet...

Under her, height is the enemy, housing will stall, and critical parcels that could hold major residential towers will instead be built as squat labs because those are the incentives that have been created.

Of course, then we can turn to the larger issue of the state's imminent downward trajectory after the Questions 1 and 4 fiasco, which is going to further incentive businesses and value creators to seek greener($$$) pastures out of state, simultaneously shrinking our tax intake while increasing our tax dependency. By 2028-2030 all of these mistakes are going to be painfully obvious. At least we had a good run on the skyscraper front and that won't be taken away from us. "A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush." I'll be happy for the next few years with our 10 buildings 600'+ and 23 500'+, but when it's the same entering the 2030's don't say I didn't warn you.

The one building X-factor is that 700' residential near North Station. Everything else over 500' has stalled or outright died on the vine so there's nothing left in the pipeline. Would any of you bet on that getting built?
Isn’t she also pushing to INCREASE the height limit downtown to encourage residential development?

Isn’t she also pushing to INCREASE the height limit downtown to encourage residential development?

If another 500'+ building gets started in this city before the 2030's, and Mayor Wu's administration was involved in the approval process, I'll say I was wrong.

This one is gathering dust on the shelf. Copley Place Tower is likely exiting the window for the 14/15 approvals it supposedly had to be built. One Bromfield, Hurley, and that garage by South Station all have proposals well under 500' on prime parcels. I guess there is that 700' longshot by North Station, but is there even an official proposal there yet? 7 years is a long enough time where if she was going to allow height, that could get approved. Are you bullish on those chances? Otherwise, where are we getting 500'?

How old is Chiofaro now? I seem to remember him being up there when this whole mess started under Menino.

How old is Chiofaro now? I seem to remember him being up there when this whole mess started under Menino.
He was a senior, and outstanding linebacker, on the 1967 Harvard football team. Deduct 21 years from 1967 = 1946.

If another 500'+ building gets started in this city before the 2030's, and Mayor Wu's administration was involved in the approval process, I'll say I was wrong.

This one is gathering dust on the shelf. Copley Place Tower is likely exiting the window for the 14/15 approvals it supposedly had to be built. One Bromfield, Hurley, and that garage by South Station all have proposals well under 500' on prime parcels. I guess there is that 700' longshot by North Station, but is there even an official proposal there yet? 7 years is a long enough time where if she was going to allow height, that could get approved. Are you bullish on those chances? Otherwise, where are we getting 500'?
None of these have anything to do with the mayor.

Over the past decade, I am actually hard pressed to think of a single Massachusetts politician who has talked about increasing opportunities for building height more than the mayor.

DZ has some sort of issue with the Mayor, which he thinks is confirmed by the lack of a tall building springing from the ether during her first 2 years. I guess maybe if he lived in Boston, he could vote for somebody else in the next election.

That said, I recommend the mods lock this thread again. The very first non-staff post was exactly the kind of nasty, unhelpful, off topic post that got the thread locked in the first place.

Wow, good thing this thread got unlocked. Stimulating discussion… :rolleyes:

DZ has some sort of issue with the Mayor, which he thinks is confirmed by the lack of a tall building springing from the ether during her first 2 years. I guess maybe if he lived in Boston, he could vote for somebody else in the next election.

That said, I recommend the mods lock this thread again. The very first non-staff post was exactly the kind of nasty, unhelpful, off topic post that got the thread locked in the first place.

My "issue" is with what I perceive to be bad policies, related to both development as well as other matters. Regarding the development side, I posted my evidence, you all post your feelings. I said if I'm wrong that I'll come here and publicly admit to being wrong. Will any of you do the same?

None of these have anything to do with the mayor.

Yeah, and where is the next 500' building going to come from? Also her opposition on city council absolutely had an effect on stymieing large developments.

Again, if I'm proven wrong I'll say I'm wrong. Will you?

This is all true --- and in terms of people who wanted to increase height limits how about Mayor Walsh and Councillor Bok?

Plan Downtown started under Walsh and has been slowly descoped to allow less height.

Wu may be coming around on some development questions, but not worth pretending she doesn't have a NIMBY history.

A mayor is one of many variables at play concurrently. The type of causality being attributed directly to a mayor is unprovable (and, therefore, a willingness to admit one is wrong is an empty gesture). Lock the thread, or rename it "political preferences of forumers" and move it out of this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back