Places I Wish Were Still Around...

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
I saw this pic in the PPH today.. I loved this place...would it work today?
1632176661615.png

Why don’t I know where that is?

number one thing I’d want back and nothing else is close...... Deering Ice cream in forest ave plaza. I’ll also take the pancake kitchen, Stone coast’s music floor, and although I hate chains.... that TGIF intown was the place to be. Also the New York deli at the rainbow mall. First place I ever played Pac-Man

858181_487583767972721_651391799_o.jpg

The swimming pool on Congress Street which I used when I stayed at the Portlander Motel in the mid 70's!

It was the Market Street Market located at 164 Middle Street (West Elm Furniture) and was open from 1979-83 according to the article. I remember it had a Country music dance club (Urban Cowboy theme) on the bottom level along with a few more bars and eateries.

Last edited:
Sears under construction on Free Street which is now the current Anthem Building.
MaineHealth, you mean :) . Anthem moved out by Running Hill Road years ago, then ABB Environmental was in there. I believe it wasn't until it became the MaineHealth Corporate HQ that the Sears escalator (first one I ever rode) was finally removed. Looking at the building from Spring St., I'm guessing that the onetime Sears coffee shop is their break room / cafeteria.

You are correct, I should have typed former instead of current and I forgot all about ABB Environmental. :) There's been a lot of turnover and I think Blue Cross and Blue Shield occupied the building for many years after Sears vacated.

Last edited:
The Portland Public Market. The new one, or the newly built one that was converted to a payment processing company. It was magnificent with natural light, wooden beams, granite flooring, and a granite fireplace. I know most of you remember it. It won some arch awards, I believe. Now, it's occupied by low wage workers set within office cubicles. It failed to attract enough foot traffic because it was not immediately accessible from Congress Street, and the rear entrance was across from the Preble Street Resource Center. Perhaps it could be resurrected, if the current tenant leaves. The solution to make it successful would be to create a ground level glass walkway enclosure connecting Congress Street, within a widened sidewalk, or if not that, part of a renovation of the ground floor and back of 465 Congress. I think people saw the gathering at the Preble Street Resource Center and didn't want to go anywhere near it. A connecting enclosure would give some a feeling of safety, or not near that gathering of addicts and miscreants. Is Slab still there? I wouldn't know as I and most others completely avoid this area now. Another idea would be to re-think the library ground floor for the 21st Century, and have it connect to the market. Libraries are sort of dying out in their usefulness. Add some food and perhaps the learning will be a bit more attractive.

Last edited:

Back