Planning Board

P

Patrick

There are three positions open on the City's Planning Board, and I just submitted my application materials (resume and cover letter). I think it would be great if someone else from this site were to apply as well. Everyone on here, though there are occasionally differences in opinion, wants to see the City progress, which is positive, and so Portland would benefit from the presence of any poster on here, in my opinion. More details on the City website -- must be submitted by end of business day tomorrow (Friday December 30)

Awesome, Patrick. With 3 spots open I imagine you will definitely get a position given your credentials. I would love to be involved in something like this, but I don't really have any applicable skills that would qualify me for such a position. Are the planning board meetings open to the public? I've never been to a meeting but always check out their agenda and meeting materials on the city website.

Awesome, Patrick. With 3 spots open I imagine you will definitely get a position given your credentials. I would love to be involved in something like this, but I don't really have any applicable skills that would qualify me for such a position. Are the planning board meetings open to the public? I've never been to a meeting but always check out their agenda and meeting materials on the city website.

Corey, first, I think I drove past you today on High Street walking east. I yelled out your name but you didn't look, so maybe not. Around 7am.

Second, the beauty of planning boards is that there are absolutely NO credentials necessary. It is a citizen's board, where city officials and technocrats (planners) ideas are supposed to be checked by the lay person.

In fact, some people complain that planning boards often consist of real estate development interests and lawyers, and are thus over-representative of one viewpoint. The idea is to have balance. The zoning board of appeals may require some more credentials -- or at least they would be more useful -- but here there is no requirement, just an interest in and commitment to the City. And thirdly, yes, the meetings are all open to the public. The public is encouraged to come and weigh in, and sometimes the meetings are packed.

Apply!

Haha, yeah that was me. I figured it might be one of the members of this forum because I don't know many people that would be in Portland at that hour. I was power walking to the bus stop, didn't intend to be rude. I think I will try to make it to a planning board meeting some day to "see what it's all about." I'd be more inclined to check out a meeting if I knew someone there so hopefully you get selected. If it seems like something I could do then I'll definitely apply next time there is an opening.

Haha, yeah that was me. I figured it might be one of the members of this forum because I don't know many people that would be in Portland at that hour. I was power walking to the bus stop, didn't intend to be rude. I think I will try to make it to a planning board meeting some day to "see what it's all about." I'd be more inclined to check out a meeting if I knew someone there so hopefully you get selected. If it seems like something I could do then I'll definitely apply next time there is an opening.

Ha, I ran into Gritty's at starbucks the other day.

The planning board is like a commission--the parks commission for example--and make recommendations to the city council on plan updates, zoning changes and development approvals. It has review authority on major site plans, subdivisions, etc. That's why all the juicy proposals come from its backup material on line. Again, no requirements or credentials. The whole idea is to have a body representative of the city, not a panel of experts.

I'm certainly not gonna vote for you for local superhero or law enforcement!

lol, me and Pat watched as a poor little starbucks girl chased a thief to the door and tried to look in his bag. I should have slapped that kid's hat forward.

I'm certainly not gonna vote for you for local superhero or law enforcement!

lol, me and Pat watched as a poor little starbucks girl chased a thief to the door and tried to look in his bag. I should have slapped that kid's hat forward.

Haha, since everyone uses a cell phone these days there was no phone booth nearby where I could put my cape on. Otherwise...

That guy was a joke.

Patrick, as a potential planning board member....anything in particular you would like to see happen in 2012?

Patrick, as a potential planning board member....anything in particular you would like to see happen in 2012?

More infill, more housing, substantial progress on the Franklin Street study/engineering studies, and maybe a form-based code for more areas of downtown. I'd also like to see a district plan in place for Gorham's Corner, the only one of three downtown perimeter growth areas currently lacking a unique plan (the other two being the Eastern Waterfront and Bayside). Also, maybe a train station at MSP or Western Commercial. That being said, these are my personal ideals for Portland, and I would look forward to working collaboratively with others to see how they integrate with their ideas as well.

When do you find out if you got a seat on the board, Patrick? I wonder if a lot of people apply for those positions.

The city is also looking for a Director of Planning and Urban Development (near the bottom of this page). They put together a PDF file here about the position.

Back