Poll - Will the Winthrop Project be built?

Will the Winthrop Square Tower ever be built?

• Total voters

bosdevelopment

Reaction score
I hate to be a negative nancy but will the Winthrop Tower ever be built?

I think that it does, and I think that this will definitely get built.

Something will be built. It will not necessarily be smaller than the current proposal, but it will probably stlll be different in some way. Your poll doesn't provide this option, so I didn't vote.

It's my pleasure to look into my infallible crystal ball and say yes this is definately going to get built. The city and state are finally starting to realize that it's swim or sink, treading water just doesn't cut it.

I went ahead and deleted a remark that was way out of line , as well as the bickering that followed it.

Just a heads up: From now on, all the petty, childish bullshit gets deleted.

City should demo the garage now, and bill Accordia later.

i'm also warming up to Belkin.... if he

1. removes 133 Federal street.

2. comes up with two attractive towers above that huge podium.

3. builds the first to the 725-735' max, and the other +700'.

City should demo the garage now, and bill Accordia later.

2. comes up with two attractive towers above that huge podium.

3. builds the first to the 725-735' max, and the other +700'.

Second that Motion

Move the Question !

;)

Why would anyone with a legitimate interest in architecture encourage the demolition of a building that is as important to development of High-Tech Expressionism as the Massachusetts State House is to the history of the Federal Style?

Help me understand...

Why would anyone with a legitimate interest in architecture encourage the demolition of a building that is as important to development of High-Tech Expressionism as the Massachusetts State House is to the history of the Federal Style?

Help me understand...

One word - Brutalism. To many, it is such an ugly scar on the civilized world and is such an antitheses to an inviting and active streetscape that it is best left to be viewed in a text book.

One word - Brutalism. To many, it is such an ugly scar on the civilized world and is such an antitheses to an inviting and active streetscape that it is best left to be viewed in a text book.

Betonbrut -- Two Words -- It Sux :p

a few more words -- As do almost all the structures from that period -- that treat humans as irrelevant

I'd like to see higher land use here, but losing 133 Federal St would be a loss on architectural terms. I second Beton Brut's sentiment.

It was the first of its kind (I am terrible with using the appropriate term. What subset of Modernist would this be considered? High-tech expressionism?) in the area, and was architecturally groundbreaking at the time. I'd have to believe that a compromise of higher land use, with architectural preservation of some kind, can be reached.

If the building survives the next twenty years, it will be considered a classic style. We always seem to turn on the styles of 20-60 years ago. This may not be the highest land use, or a very "in" style of today, but 133 Federal has architectural merit and deserves more than a passing thought with regards to preservation.

I'd like to see higher land use here, but losing 133 Federal St would be a loss on architectural terms. I second Beton Brut's sentiment.

It was the first of its kind (I am terrible with using the appropriate term. What subset of Modernist would this be considered? High-tech expressionism?) in the area, and was architecturally groundbreaking at the time. I'd have to believe that a compromise of higher land use, with architectural preservation of some kind, can be reached.

If the building survives the next twenty years, it will be considered a classic style. We always seem to turn on the styles of 20-60 years ago. This may not be the highest land use, or a very "in" style of today, but 133 Federal has architectural merit and deserves more than a passing thought with regards to preservation.

Bigeman -- you are of course entitled to your opinion

As for me -- on the scale of the Hurley @ 0.3, Boston City Hall @ 0.7, and Trinity @ 9.999999, and the BPL [McKim] @ 9.91 -- I'd put the 133 Federal @ a solid 1.045

^^btw, i know we have our least favorite buildings thread; But, i'd love it if we had an all out 'Seriously, THIS HAS TO GO,' thread. Not necessarily for the buildings we hate, but to include those who's demise would lead the way to something much better.

^^btw, i know we have our least favorite buildings thread; But, i'd love it if we had an all out 'Seriously, THIS HAS TO GO,' thread. Not necessarily for the buildings we hate, but to include those who's demise would lead the way to something much better.

Odurandia -- I'll Second that motion as well !

Hooray! Another thread with the exact same discussion about 133 Federal as already happened on another thread, oh happy day!

Back