Portland Area Planning/Development Job Market.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently moved back to Portland full time as I wrap up a masters degree in City Planning and Urban Design in Boston. Admittedly, I don't have much in the way of a Professional network here in Portland, so I was wondering if anyone here knew of good resources for someone looking to build a career in planning / development in the Portland area.

Any help or advice would be wonderfully appreciated.

Regards,
Eric (Cosakita18)

Portland's Planning Director is leaving for a teaching position in Massachusetts. If the city fills his position from in house, that would leave a planner opening in the near future. Keep checking the city employment listings online and pay a visit to the Planning Department and introduce your self to the rank and file. They may even be able to help you with potential openings in some of Maine's smaller cities. Do some self marketing and get connected. Good luck and always give a thumbs up for taller buildings in Portland or we'll track you down!

PortlandArch (respected member on here) is a great guy and could be an excellent resource who has a masters degree in City Planning. Reach out to him for some wisdom and advice, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Last edited:
Eric,

In addition to the good advice above, I saw recently that the Greater Portland Council of Governments was advertising for a planner and a planner-related position. I don't know if they've filled these positions but the listings are still on their website:

https://www.gpcog.org/job-board/

I also saw recently the town of Belfast advertising for a planner. It's a cool little town that would be a great place to learn the planning ropes.

Max

Hello all,

I've recently moved back to Portland full time as I wrap up a masters degree in City Planning and Urban Design in Boston. Admittedly, I don't have much in the way of a Professional network here in Portland, so I was wondering if anyone here knew of good resources for someone looking to build a career in planning / development in the Portland area.

Any help or advice would be wonderfully appreciated.

Regards,
Eric (Cosakita18)

Eric - look on the Maine Municipal Association's job board (online), which is updated frequently.

Back