Portland Bayside

I appreciate they provided updates on the lawsuits in good detail, even if it still is hopeless.

Good to see that Bayside could break ground by the end of the year, though.

10 Years Later .... Monroe must be so pleased. Misguided gasbag.

"Today, concrete construction barriers outline the rectangular blocks of dirt, gravel and weeds between Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods that, had plans for The Midtown project moved forward, would likely be a thriving mixed-use neighborhood"'

So maddening.

What a horrible, embarrassing mess. It's frustrating to see that neither side is willing to budge although Federated clearly dug themselves into this.

Bayside is in such a sorry state. A giant hole of vacant lots right in the middle of the peninsula....I wish the city would just seize all of the Midtown parcels by eminent domain and put out RFP's for development....but I know it can never be that straightforward.

I give the reporter credit; sorting all that mess out was a decent bit of journalism. The before-and-after sliders (I'm not sure if they are new or were created years ago, possibly by @cneal ) are a particularly nice touch.

The city needs to now bite the bullet on this and give the developer what he wants. Assigning blame is fruitless at this point. Otherwise, he holds on to the land and continues to watch it appreciate and we get to look at empty lots for another ten years.

From my understanding (admittedly, largely from this forum), Federated is, at this point, a shell company that just exists for the sake of these lawsuits.

The only way this will be settled is for the city to pay him what he thinks it took from him. Otherwise, he's got time--ten more years of time. It's a long-term investment for him. The city has been arrogant within this entire process. He's here to make money, not give them what THEY want at his expense. The city was and still is to a point, naive. I'd say three more years of no real movement and someone in city Gov will scream "Enough."

Litigation should be:
We'll drop our case, you drop your case, land must be sold.
Peace.
Determine the actual cost of litigation, sell the remaining parcels for $13M and put that amount towards the legal fees for Federated, have the city pay the difference to buy an parcels (and maybe fair market value Lot 6), the city resells at cost to developers. Everyone looses, but then the lots are available to develop.

Back