Portland Bayside

Thanks Corey, while I noticed one typo "the Portland" I hope the point gets across. I also noted after-the-fact that the building "heights" themselves may be unaffected by this design change, but I still think the point about stumpy buildings remains valid. Lastly, I think the Kennebec Crossing plaza (even though it's not exactly built as envisioned) needs to be abutted by a building to activate it as a destination (even if a minor one). It could create a gateway similar to the Fidelity and Time and Temp. Instead, the developer has proposed one tall building looking at a parking garage. Parking garages should be wrapped in retail, or something, yes, but they should never be on primary streets or abut focal points.

The article should have mentioned that while the meeting on the 29th is not a public hearing (where there is a statutory right to speak) public comment may still be heard, at the discretion of the Chair.

The original phase I had two towers with a garage between them. That would really suck if all we get out of phase I of the new design is one tower and a garage.

Your letter to the chair was all net/right on! I share the same view you do in regards to the height study and how it can positively affect Bayside and the downtown as a whole. I think a lot of us here in the forum are happy that anything gets built, even if it's a stump, but something's got to give - and your letter addresses that. I have a question though...Does Portland have any height minimums? If not, I think the financial district, Bayside and the Congress Street corridor between Franklin and Maine Med should have one (like 5-6 floors or 70+ ft). I think a lot of "infill" projects in these areas have come up short.

I may be wrong, but my gut feeling tells me that Phase One is the only portion of this project that will ever get built. And I can live with that if it means Portland gets a new 14 story building out of the deal. Not sure how I feel about the possibility of three "identical" structures being added to the skyline in that location? Would prefer to have any new high rises developed at the Top of the Old Port wasteland parking lot but I sadly do not own the property. That area would have the biggest impact on Portland's future skyline.

What are the chances that Martimime Landing/Midtown motivates someone to buy that self-storage building on Somerset Street, gut it and turn it into something else (residential, commerical, retail)?

Also, does anyone know if Oakhurst has any plans to sell their land on Somerset Street that they currently use to park trailers?

Last edited:
What happened to this vision for Bayside???........

baysidetrail.png

Nice photoshop work Corey. I agree with mainejeff, two towers would mesh with the current skyline better. Four or five buildings would remind me of a small scale version of Albany's Empire State Plaza without the single mega tower.

Too many buildings of the same height and look reminds me of that type of (Albany) development. This isn't Communist Russia........I HATE that type of assembly line building/development.

Corey just used those buildings in his picture to show height. That's not the design or look of them

^Thanks Gritty's, that is correct. I'm not sure that we know the exact design yet since the latest rendering made available to public just shows the massing of the buildings and the parking garages.

I would definitely prefer that each building have its own unique identity and hope that the footprint of the development doesn't seem too overbearing from a street level or skyline perspective. I guess there is nothing inherently ugly or poorly planned bout mega block developments like this, but I do find the more historical approach of small building footprints to be more attractive on all levels. I guess that economics and zoning and many other factors lead most modern developments to taking up entire city blocks.

Fantastic. Is this between Elm and Preble? And how real is this proposal?

I know the owners are the same LLC that owns most of the parking lots along Elm and Preble Streets in Bayside. If they're thinking about redevelopment, it would be more than welcome.

I wonder if this the building Demoulas/Market Basket are looking at for their Portland Super market? My neighbor who works in the administration building in Billerica, MA was telling me they are looking at building a supermarket in Portland once the Biddeford store is set up.
Has anyone heard any news on the Thompson Point Project?? Seems to have lost its steam. Hopefully it gets built.

^Thanks Gritty's, that is correct. I'm not sure that we know the exact design yet since the latest rendering made available to public just shows the massing of the buildings and the parking garages.

I would definitely prefer that each building have its own unique identity and hope that the footprint of the development doesn't seem too overbearing from a street level or skyline perspective. I guess there is nothing inherently ugly or poorly planned bout mega block developments like this, but I do find the more historical approach of small building footprints to be more attractive on all levels. I guess that economics and zoning and many other factors lead most modern developments to taking up entire city blocks.

A succinctly stated synopsis of the issues facing modern urban design, Corey!

I wonder if this the building Demoulas/Market Basket are looking at for their Portland Super market? My neighbor who works in the administration building in Billerica, MA was telling me they are looking at building a supermarket in Portland once the Biddeford store is set up.
Has anyone heard any news on the Thompson Point Project?? Seems to have lost its steam. Hopefully it gets built.

I was reading in last week's Forecaster where Jon Jennings one of the managing partners in the Forefront at Thompson's Point project said they hope to start construction later this year. He was the original founder of the Maine Red Claws and he left the Red Claws to concentrate on the Thompson's Point project. This project seams to be taking a long time to get started. The rumor has been that WEX, Inc. (formerly Wright Express) would be one of the prime tenants of the office building for Thompson' Point.

Last edited:

Back