Portland Bayside

the majority of the nimbi's are not even from Portland.Peter Monro is from washington dc.the worst nimby of them all is herb adams.he calls himself a Portlander but he is not from Portland he is from Norway maine.he thinks he knows so much about Portland but has to go to a library to research the the history a real Portlander doesn't have to go to a library they know the history
frank turek is not from Portland either

Portland has suffered for years because it seems to attract lots of people who see it, and want it to remain, as a cheaper version of Cambridge or Somerville. Those of us who see Portland's value first as Maine's largest city, with the density and the emphasis on "people who wear ties to work" that that implies, get left by the wayside at times.

Thanks very much, Portlander.

Charles Lawton has an interesting column today which manages to take on the NIMBYs head-on without ever using that acronym.

Charles Lawton: Culture of negativity standing in the way of Maine’s growth

Today’s noes are, I believe, those of people with power who are determined to use it to prevent any significant change. Why? Because they are fearful that any change will endanger the not extravagant but comfortable little niches they have carved out from this – compared with much of the rest of the country where they might have lived – economically inhospitable climate. These are the noes of people who don’t want the quaint villages to which they have retired, or the now-chic neighborhoods in which they have prospered, or the small but carefully cultivated businesses they have built, to be threatened in any way.

They are, in short, the noes of people who, perhaps unconsciously, have chosen to believe that the universe is hostile.

A reasonably unslanted article:
http://www.theforecaster.net/news/p...-just-right-midtown-housing-and-retail/182613

Keep Portland Livable maintains a website that is updated weekly with posts opposing Midtown, and is coordinating an online petition. The group's co-founder, Tim Paradis, presented the petition, with more than 300 signatures, to the Planning Board at the Dec. 10 meeting.

The next day, a group of project supporters, Portlanders For Sustainability, launched a Facebook page. The group advocates "urban sustainability, smart growth and anti-sprawl development," according to its page, which so far has collected about 150 "likes."

On Saturday, a passer-by on Marginal Way said she hadn't heard of Portlanders For Sustainability, but seemed to favor its position on Midtown.

"We need buildings that allow more people to live downtown, without a car. Bayside is a good place to do it, and on balance, (Midtown) seems like a reasonable design," East End resident Margaret Webster said.

She said the height of Midtown's towers, which would stand taller than the nearby Intermed building, didn't concern her.

"We need to be building upwards. Portland has very, very few tall buildings, even for a city of its size, but we're going to need them if we want people in the city."

Another pedestrian had a different view.

"Portland is a unique place, with unique architecture. This project is going to ruin some of that by putting generic buildings for the wealthy in the worst possible spot," said Kevin Bartlett, who recently moved to Bayside from Massachusetts.

"We're going to be stuck with this atrocity, and I think (the city) and the people developing (Midtown) are trying to rush things through and sugar-coat what it's going to do to Portland," he said.

Emphasis added.

I hate to follow myself, but the city has updated the midtown project Planning Board page with new documents ahead of next Tuesday's continued public hearing (which, once again, is at 5 Pm). One of the added items is a Google Earth file which is supposed to show the project, but I haven't been able to get it to open properly (GE opens it, but the buildings don't show).

EDIT: The file eventually loaded... nice job! I got this shot as if from the Back Cove soccer field (although it's a slightly elevated sightline):
midtown_zps5fe6a105.jpg

Last edited:
The vast majority of Peter Monro's argument was just dismantled by Federated modifying their plans to address most of his concerns. Too bad this clown will likely continue with his quest to outright kill the project.

Remember these names, folks. If this is still a dirt lot in 10 years, then Peter Monro and Tim Paradis should both be run out of town on a rail.

Last edited:
The vote for Midtown is tonight....Peter Munro has been all over the papers. Cross your fingers he doesnt get his way with this development

Midtown was approved by the Planning Board, but unfortunately I don't think this as the end of this fight. It seems as though the Planning Board, with their public comments, only served to give the Keep Portland Livable folks more ammo.

It most definitely isn't the end.... Im sure those idiots will try to bring it to court to get their way. The city's legal counsel doesn't seem that concerned however.

It most definitely isn't the end.... Im sure those idiots will try to bring it to court to get their way. The city's legal counsel doesn't seem that concerned however.

Yeah, but's it's not the potential for this to be overturned in court that I'm worried about. It's the delays, which is what they're going for. As Peter Monro has been quoted as saying "the power to delay is the power to destory." It was the delays that eventually led to the demise of developments like Lincoln Square and The Waterview.

Below is part of the letter I sent to the Planning Board yesterday (I wasn't aware until afterwards that it needed to be sent by last Wednesday to be included) outlining what I like about this project. I know not everyone enjoys the architecture of these buildings, but the more I look at the renderings, the more I find that I like.

~~~

Many negatives, as well as misleading and deceptive rhetoric, have been stated and published regarding the proposed midtown project. Much of that negativity and defensive positioning appears rooted in a deep-down fear of change possessed by some residents of Portland that prefer the status-quo. However, I want to take some time to point out the positives and benefits of the proposed midtown project, because I don’t think enough has been said to outline these traits.

To that end, below is a list of the many positives and benefits presented by this proposed development, to both the City of Portland and the Greater Portland region as a whole.

(1) While the Federated Companies is based in Boston and Miami, the bulk of the planning and consulting work appears to have been completed to date by local companies, including:
a. Shinberg Consulting – Portland, ME (developer’s representative)
b. Fay, Spofford & Thorndike – South Portland, ME (civil engineers)
c. Mitchell & Associates – Portland, ME (landscape architect)
d. The Louis Berger Group – Portland, ME (traffic engineer)
e. Owen & Haskell – Falmouth, ME (land survey)
f. CWS Architects – Portland, ME (parking garage architect)
g. Drummond Woodsum – Portland, ME (legal counsel)
To me, this shows a commitment to the City of Portland and Greater Portland. Federated could have brought in out-of-state consultants that are more familiar to them, but they have already made the right decision to work locally to build this project. I presume this will continue during the construction phase of the project.

(2) In addition to the above, Federated Companies previously owned the Bayside Village student housing on Marginal Way. Prior to their purchase of that property, the Bayside Village was mired in mismanagement and rowdy tenant behavior. Federated was able to rehabilitate the property, and today it stands as a testament to their apartment management ability and strengths.

(3) Based on what I could find on-line, it appears the property associated with Phase One of this development is currently made up of five parcels that are assessed at a total of $880,900. The City owns these properties, so the city is not collecting any real estate taxes on the properties. However, based on the city’s mill rate of $19.41, it could be collecting $17,098 annually in real estate taxes if these properties were owned by a for-profit entity. Phase One of this development is slated to cost around $38,000,000. If that were to hold as the project’s assessed value, then Phase One alone would generate $737,580 annually in real estate taxes, which is a 4214% increase from the $17,098 these properties could be generating in their current state today.

(4) In addition to the above, those likely to live in these buildings probably won’t generate equal expenses for the city, because: (a) most will not have children that would increase education expenses for the city; and (b) many will not have vehicles that would increase transportation expenses for the city. According to numerous studies, young professionals (who are the most likely to live in these buildings) today are putting off starting families and forgoing vehicle ownership. As such, the tax revenue generated by this project will likely exceed any added expenses to the city, resulting in a net gain and extra revenue for the city to use elsewhere.

(5) It is no secret that rents are increasing throughout the city, but they are especially increasing on the main peninsula. This is due primarily to the ever increasing demand for market-rate housing in the city without much, if any, increase in the supply of market-rate housing. It is simple economics, whether the opposition wishes to believe that or not. The 675 apartments proposed in this development will represent much needed market-rate supply, thus decreasing the upwards pressure on rental prices. If anything, its 675 apartments are not nearly enough, and at the same time midtown alone is not going to lead to a population boom in Portland. If you figure each apartment will be filled by an average of two residents, than that means the population increases by 1,350 over ten years. That’s an increase of only about 2%.

(6) As noted in recent articles in the Press Herald, Maine is not growing and getting older. Young adults are going to college elsewhere and not returning, and young professionals living here are relocating to other more-affordable cities as they are priced out of Portland (my wife and I being a prime example, though we at least stayed relatively local). Midtown is part of the answer. Anything else will not increase the housing supply nearly enough and will result in costlier apartments, especially due to the expense of building on environmentally sensitive and filled land. If you kill this project, then it will have a domino effect on both the housing market and business community. With a lack of enough young professionals living here to fill the void as baby-boomers retire, companies will look elsewhere. Keeping Portland affordable to young professionals that are wrought with student loan debt is a key to future economic development within Portland and in Maine. Midtown will help Portland remain a viable and business-friendly city.

(7) Portland is a high demand place right now, as are most urban areas across the country, because people are finding their ways back into urban areas. Even if Maine itself is not growing, Portland will grow in some way over the next 25-50 years, whether people like it or not (unless we manage to completely choke the city’s business community by pushing away young professionals). We need to consider what Portland and Greater Portland will look like 25-50 years from now, not just tomorrow or next year. If we continue to develop low-rise or in-fill housing and not use the land we have available today smartly by building up, then much of the undeveloped space you see today will be eaten up by sprawl-type development. It will first happen in Portland and then spread to Westbrook and South Portland. In order to prevent suburban sprawl from choking this area in the future, we need to build up while we still can. This is exactly what midtown is doing. They are building up, using urban land in a dense and smart manner. Regardless of what happens, failing to embrace smart, sustainable and environmentally-friendly growth is a dangerous precedent for our future, and failing to build up while we still can will only lead to us building out decades from now when there is no room left to grow. We need to takes steps now to ensure we grow smartly in the future.

(8) In addition to the above, we need to consider what Bayside will look like 25-50 years from now, not just what it will look like once this project is done. The entire area is poised to be developed should this project move forward. Sure, midtown might stick out for a little while, but eventually that will fade as the properties around midtown are developed and re-developed. Midtown is the first of hopefully many dominos for development in the area, but nothing will happen if that first domino isn’t tipped.

(9) Federated is moving forward using LEEDS building requirements to make this as environmentally-friendly a development as they can, which should be commended. If I had one critique of the project, it would be for them to add some sort of vegetation to the roofs of the parking garages to further reduce the heat-island effect. Perhaps urban gardens could be created on the tops of the parking garages that any Portland resident would be free to sign-up to use each summer.

(10) This development is going to create hundreds of construction jobs over ten years. The 100,000 square feet of retail space and building management aspects of the project will create dozens of permanent living-wage jobs for middle-class and lower-class residents of Portland. The eventual development surrounding this project will create hundreds more temporary and permanent jobs. The $150 million invested in this project will go directly into the Portland and Greater Portland economy, as will the millions of dollars generated annually from this project through retail businesses, restaurants, jobs and taxes.

(11) Some have criticized the architecture of the buildings as being “out of place” with Portland, but I don’t see that as a bad thing. Look at the skyline of Portland today. It is filled with older buildings devoid of color or imagination. It is a bland palette of browns, grays and weather-beaten brick. The back of Merrill Auditorium stands out as an aluminum-sided aesthetic abomination. The backs of the Fidelity and Time & Temperature Buildings are showing their age. The older parking garages along Cumberland Ave. have become forgotten and downtrodden. In comparison, look at the latest renderings of the midtown development, especially the views from I-295 and Marginal Way. Look at how well these buildings will look against a bright blue sky. Look at how the buildings draw influences from the USM Library and 84 Marginal Way. Look at how the parking garages will be the most architecturally interesting and pleasing parking garages in the entire city. This is exactly the kind of color and imagination that the Portland skyline is missing. This is also the kind of three-dimensional depth that is missing from the Portland skyline as viewed from I-295 and Back Cove. The skyline should be more than a two-dimensional row of buildings along Congress Street, and you need to simply look at the skyline as viewed from across the Fore River to see how a three-dimensional skyline is more pleasing.

(12) This development is not going to negatively impact any other neighborhoods in Portland. Portland will retain its charm, because the Old Port, Arts District, West End and East End will remain exactly the same (well, except they may become a little more affordable). People don’t want to visit here and live her because it has the charm of a quaint New England village. People want to visit here and live her because it is a vibrant city filled with all of the amenities of a big city, without the crowding or traffic. They come here and stay here because it feels like a big city without actually being a big city. We could build ten midtowns, and it still wouldn’t become a big city with crowding or traffic. We could build fifty midtowns, and it still wouldn’t become a big city with crowding or traffic. Portland will remain Portland, despite the fears of those opposing this project.

(13) The development is going to lead to increased usage of the Bayside Trail. Today that trail is barely used, especially when it bakes in the midday summer sun. The midtown project will not only put people living directly next to it, but it will provide some much-needed shade during the heat of the midday summer sun, which isn't a bad thing as the opposition would have you to believe. The added vegetation proposed by the midtown landscape architects will enhance the aesthetic of the trail compared to its current state, and the retail and restaurants surrounding the development will draw people from other neighborhoods and communities to the Bayside Trail.

In conclusion, no project is going to please everyone, especially when many are failing to look outside of their comfortable box of life to be forward thinking about this project. Federated has shown that they are more than willing to alter their plans and compromise to better accommodate the contentions or fears of the opponents of the project, yet the opponents of the project have been completely uncompromising. They see this as black and white, and I fear the outcome of the misdirected power they are wielding. To fight to improve this project is one thing, but fighting to outright kill the project without compromise or an open mind is a failure to see any and all of the positives and benefits of this project.

Last edited:
Damn Dr. S, well written and I agree with all of your points. Portland is fortunate to have you and your sincere passion on it's side!

So, this is interesting. I've been trying to figure out Keep Portland Livable’s real motivation against Federated and the midtown project, since the things they’ve said and written just don't pass the smell test with me. Well, in doing so I found this article from February 2008:

http://www.pressherald.com/archive/bayside-developers-talk-of-collaboration_2008-02-21.html

Note that the timestamp at the top of the article is wrong; it was published in 2008 and actually linked much earlier in this thread (http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1416&page=4).

Take note of the renderings that were provided by the Developers Collaborative for this article and compare those to the renderings that Keep Portland Livable have presented as their "ideal" development of Bayside, on both their website and Facebook page, as well as during Planning Board meetings. These latter renderings were supposedly created by Peter Monro.

The similarities are more than striking...

The city obviously chose to pursue the MaineHealth/United Way deal over the Developers Collaborative deal, which I can only speculate didn’t sit well with some of the Developers Collaborative folks or those that may have been working with them. Federated then entered the picture in 2010, and the city opted to work with them rather than dig up the older proposals referenced in the article above from 2008.

And then there is this article from June 2011:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/une...-land-in-bayside_2011-06-03.html?pagenum=full

Specifically, there’s this quote from that article:

Bateman has an ally in Peter Quesada, whose Fore River Co. owns key and valuable parcels on adjacent Marginal Way -- where Trader Joe's, the new Walgreens and Planet Fitness are located.
Quesada wrote to the council Thursday, suggesting "that this train be slowed down."

"The city is prepared (eager, it would seem) to enter into a contract with Federated ... shutting out the UNE alternative," he said. "I respectfully suggest that the council is moving too fast, without any apparent need for the rush, and is most likely about to pick the wrong partner."

So, there seems like there were some ruffled feathers early on in the process with Federated from both David Bateman and Peter Quesada.

Some other additional information that I found interesting:

Developers Collaborative has developed and continues to develop low-income housing in Greater Portland (which, don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to being fairly liberal myself, I just don't think it should be built where midtown will sit) and has worked with Avesta on developments (including most recently Steeple Square in Westbrook). Meanwhile, Bateman Partners (run by the above-mentioned David Bateman) also develops low-income housing in the Greater Portland area, including a few recent projects in the Saco/Biddeford area, an area where Avesta has also been involved in recent years developing low-income housing. This is the link to 2012 tax credits provided for the development of low-income housing: http://www.mainehousing.org/docs/default-source/qap/2013-tax-credit-results.pdf. As you can see, Avesta, Bateman and Developers Collaborative are all well represented on that list, and if you do some quick Google searches on these projects, you’ll see that they worked together in some fashion on some projects.

Avesta is obviously heavily invested in developing Bayside, since Pearl Place is their baby. Developers Collaborative has also developed in Bayside with Unity Village, and they recently bid to develop the new DHS building in Bayside. One of the people involved in the Keep Portland Livable campaign is Tim Paradis, who is a non-profit organization coordinator and thus could potentially be involved in the management, assignment and/or assessment of low-income housing in the city. Peter Quesada of Fore River Co, was quoted in the article above as being against Federated, and he has refused any ideas of removing the fence between his properties and the Bayside Trail, as Keep Portland Livable notes in Peter Monro’s 12/9/2013 blog on their webpage. Midtown will likely increase the value of Peter Quesada’s land, thus potentially increase his property taxes. If I were him, then that would not sit well with me given that those properties have little re-development possibilities beyond their current states.

I’ll let folks draw their own conclusions. I may be grasping at straws, but there are too many dots connecting above for me to ignore this.

Last edited:
So, this is interesting. I've been trying to figure out Keep Portland Livable’s real motivation against Federated and the midtown project, since the things they’ve said and written just don't pass the smell test with me. Well, in doing so I found this article from February 2008:

http://www.pressherald.com/archive/bayside-developers-talk-of-collaboration_2008-02-21.html

Note that the timestamp at the top of the article is wrong; it was published in 2008 and actually linked much earlier in this thread (http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1416&page=4).

Take note of the renderings that were provided by the Developers Collaborative for this article and compare those to the renderings that Keep Portland Livable have presented as their "ideal" development of Bayside, on both their website and Facebook page, as well as during Planning Board meetings. These latter renderings were supposedly created by Peter Monro.

The similarities are more than striking...

The city obviously chose to pursue the MaineHealth/United Way deal over the Developers Collaborative deal, which I can only speculate didn’t sit well with some of the Developers Collaborative folks or those that may have been working with them. Federated then entered the picture in 2010, and the city opted to work with them rather than dig up the older proposals referenced in the article above from 2008.

And then there is this article from June 2011:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/une...-land-in-bayside_2011-06-03.html?pagenum=full

Specifically, there’s this quote from that article:

Now, Developers Collaborative has developed and continues to develop low-income housing in Greater Portland (which, don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to being fairly liberal myself, I just don't think it should be built where midtown will sit) and has worked with Avesta on developments (including most recently Steeple Square in Westbrook). Meanwhile, Bateman Partners (run by the above-mentioned David Bateman) also develops low-income housing in the Greater Portland area, including a few recent projects in the Saco/Biddeford area, an area where Avesta has also been involved in recent years developing low-income housing. This is the link to 2012 tax credits provided for the development of low-income housing: http://www.mainehousing.org/docs/default-source/qap/2013-tax-credit-results.pdf. As you can see, Avesta, Bateman and Developers Collaborative are all well represented on that list.

Avesta is obviously heavily invested in developing Bayside, since Pearl Place is their baby. Developers Collaborative has also developed in Bayside with Unity Village, and they recently bid to develop the new DHS building in Bayside. One of the people involved in the Keep Portland Livable campaign is Tim Paradis, who is a non-profit organizational coordinator and potentially involved in the management, assignment and/or assessment of low-income housing in the city. Peter Quesada of Fore River Co, has been outspoken against midtown at times, and has refused any ideas of removing the fence between his properties and the Bayside Trail. midtown will obviously increase the value of his land, thus potentially increase his property taxes, which I'm sure doesn't sit well with him (given that his properties have little re-developable possibilities given their current state).

Somewhere in all of this is the truth behind Keep Portland Livable’s campaign. I’ll let folks draw their own conclusions. I may be grasping at straws, but there are too many dots conecting here for me to ignore this.

Very interesting. There are more dots to connect here, but in the interest of not throwing what would amount to mere rumor out in the public eye, I'll refrain from highlighting them.

The Forecaster is reporting today that Century Tire Co. on Kennebec Street in Bayside will be closing after 88 years in business. Their Bayside location takes up a good bit of land between Marginal Way and Kennebec Street. It's kind of a dead zone between two Post Office buildings and Portland Public Works, but it might be a valuable plot of land in the future.

The Forecaster is reporting today that Century Tire Co. on Kennebec Street in Bayside will be closing after 88 years in business. Their Bayside location takes up a good bit of land between Marginal Way and Kennebec Street. It's kind of a dead zone between two Post Office buildings and Portland Public Works, but it might be a valuable plot of land in the future.
Given that their 2 other retail locations (Pine Tree and No. Windham) have already become Sullivan Tire, I wouldn't be surprised to have that happen here, too. However, Sullivan also owns the old Yudy's on St. John St., so they may consider Marginal Way/Kennebec St. to be too close.

Back