Portland Bayside

Well this is good news....

The city of Portland is reviewing six proposals from developers interested in buying and building on former railroad land along Somerset Street in Bayside.

The city's economic development division received the proposals Friday and made them public this afternoon.

Developers Collaborative of Portland offered to pay $3.25 million for all 3.3 acres of city land and to build a parking garage, office, retail and residential space over time.

MaineHealth and United Way of Greater Portland offered to pay about $2 million for nearly 2 acres and to build a parking garage and office building.

The Olympia Cos. of Portland made three poposals, offering to pay $500,000 to $1.3 million for .6 to 1.6 acres and to build a parking garage and office building.

Waterman Housing LLC of Yarmouth offered to pay $845,000 for 1 acre and to build a nine-story, mixed-use building including office, retail and 59 housing units.

The proposals will be reviewed by the directors of the Downtown Portland Corp. at 4 p.m. Thursday and by the City Council's community development committee at 5 p.m. March 27. Both meetings will be in Room 209 at City Hall.

The city sought new proposals for the railroad land after Atlantic Redevelopment Co. of Portland backed out of a tentative $3 million agreement in December because it couldn't meet the city's demand to build before tenants were lined up.

Pictures, oh boy!

Bayside developers talk of collaboration
In a down real estate market, four developers offering six proposals consider working together in Portland.
By KELLEY BOUCHARD Staff Writer February 21, 2008

Four developers that have offered to buy city-owned land in Portland's Bayside neighborhood are talking about working together to complete as much as $80 million worth of projects in a down real estate market.
Portland officials are reviewing six proposals from the four developers. The largest, from Developers Collaborative of Portland, is an offer to buy the entire 3.3 acres of former railroad land for $3.25 million and build a variety of office, retail and residential projects over eight years.
"It's a small community. It's not hard to cross paths, share ideas and consider working together," said Dirk Thomas, a principal in Developers Collaborative. "If we're the successful purchaser, it doesn't necessarily exclude others who have made proposals."
The directors of the Downtown Portland Corp. will review the proposals at 4 p.m. today, followed by the City Council's community development committee at 5 p.m. March 27. Both meetings will be held in Room 209 at City Hall.

0802211897791688lgf0.jpg

080221974538161ljn6.jpg

0802211126926935lyr8.jpg

Let's hope none of this fades away or shrinks down to "scale" like other big proposals in the recent past! I'm still bent out of shape over the Village Cafe, Waterview and Westin proposals!

Yeah those were all bummers. The current proposals for bayside should all be involving 60 story towers so we can end up with at least one 10 story one. :)

Let's hope none of this fades away or shrinks down to "scale" like other big proposals in the recent past! I'm still bent out of shape over the Village Cafe, Waterview and Westin proposals!

negotiations with olympia for the office building have stalled and it doesnt look like it will be built

and have people noticed the art deco crap style in this neighborhood. I think I like the brick. the student housing, pearl place, the new condos, and liberty housing all have this pastel siding that doesn't look too great

thats not super old, but its old news. some other paper already reported that. it doesn't seem to matter though, because with the peninsula developing so rapidly even without a master plan in effect (think the old port sea grill building, the new office by baxter place, the infill behind the whiteheart, the new condos all up and down the financial district, the hospitals, and the proposals by boulos) it is just a matter of waiting until some developer wants to build in bayside, and when they do, the land will abound, even if its not city owned land. everything there is a scrap yard or parking lot, and with the city already inclined to develop it, they will probably be more likely to rezone. plus, you cant have a giant office building like intermed totally leased before construction is done and say there is no demand for the neighborhood. once things pick up they will spur more development along prebble street. the city right now is spreading its resources to thin. they want the eastern waterfront, bayside, sprague, western commercial, and the industrial area by amtrak all redeveloped. one step at a time.

I'm pretty sure that's new news. Ted West pulling out of that building was the older news. The new developers were only chosen a few months ago. I don't know why they don't contact the other two companies that lost the bidding to see if they still want to get in.

not to argue, but I heard it somewhere week ago. maybe on the news or one of the free news papers. said talks with olympia had all but disappeared.

actually I just remembered where I heard it. It was on the city council website on the city website, which reports what they discussed each week. that's probably where the bollard got the news, too. that's always a good way to stay ahead of the press

Last edited by a moderator:

Back