Portland Bayside

Somebody should PayPal him money. Or just send him cash. Or cash and beer. He likes stouts I bet

No, too much effort...... Is what I'm sure he'd say

Perhaps, but if I was in charge of the PPH and had some money to spend (ha!) I'd make him my Portland-Can-Be-So-Much-Better writer...it would be a brilliant and must-read weekly column, assuming he could keep up that mix of anger and fun writing style.

Hmmmm, paid to write. Great idea. But he always uses ........... Too much

I have a question.......how the hell did the row of "student housing" next to I-295 get approved???? That to me will remain Portland's "big mistake" no matter what happens from here on out. Makes "Midtown" look like the Taj Mahal.

Well said Dr StrangeHat. Here is a list of other cities that are close to Portland size or smaller that have buildings taller than 200 foot and have survived the mass exodus of residents fleeing due to an altered skyline!

Wilmington, DE 71,000 1201 North Market 330 ft 23 floors
Meridian, MS 41,000 Threefoot Bldg 211 15
Trenton, NJ 85,000 Labor Bldg 203 13
Binghamton, NY 48,000 State Office Bldg 228 18
Utica, NY 66,000 State Office Bldg 227 17
Harrisburg, PA 50,000 333 Market St 341 22
Reading, PA 88,000 Berks County Bldg 275 22
Lancaster, PA 59,000 Lancaster Marriott 226 19
Lake Charles, LA 72,000 Capital One Bank 300 22
Bartlesville, OK 36,000 Phillips Petroleum Bldg 292 19
Wausau, WI 40,000 First Wausau Tower 242 11
Greenville, SC 58,000 Landmark Bldg 305 22
Spartanburg, SC 37,000 203 East Main St 250 18
Charleston, WV 51,000 Kanawha Valley Bank 238 20
Galveston, TX 57,000 One Moody Plaza 358 23
Asheville, NC 83,000 Buncombe County CH 230 16

There are a few other cities that meet the above parameters but their tallest structure is a residential/low income/elderly property like Franklin Towers and I left them off. Also did not include numerous beach resort towns like Myrtle Beach and Biloxi because of their non commercial/office skylines.

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That comment was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I want to buy that dude a beer someday when I hang up my helmet and move back to Maine! Perfection against the NIMBY's! RIP Lincoln Square, Graves Hill, Westin Hotel, original Village Cafe and other view obstructing proposals...

Like I said.............................

He'd probably like beer or cash..........

Or clothes for an 18 month old

Wish he said that at the planning board meetings....but bravo, well said

Soemthing tells me the poster of those comments may or may not be a member of this board. Hard to tell at this point.

I think it is a poster on this board, one I've known since the early 2000's.

That comment was awesome. I hope they approve the height increase and the project moves forward. It would be a shame otherwise. I wish I was there in Portland (currently abroad) to attend the next meeting. I hope some of you guys and Dominic (the poster) can make it on March 19 before the "Chestnut Street Lofters" and the PSA get their way.

Amongst the millions of pages on this project at the planning board's site, there is a rendering included with a letter from the Chestnut Street Loft residents.

nuttychest.jpg

I can't understand their complaint. According to their own rendering, much of the view of Back Cove is retained. They are concerned about "walling off views from Marginal Way" and "downtown back to Back Cove."

The valuable view if you look up Chestnut Street from Marginal Way today is a display of countless Oakhurst Dairy trailers parked in a lot, a dumpy old storage building that looks like it will collapse any day, the black snow pile, and the magnificence is capped by the nastiness that is the unfinished back of Merrill Auditorium. Looking down toward Marginal Way from "downtown," (i.e. Congress Street) one can't see anything because there are tall buildings lining the street, as is normal in these settings we call cities.

I doubt if more than the garage and a small tower get built anyway, but youre right the comments are...

Now we got india street yahoo talking about capping future buildings at 3 stories in paper today

Back