Portland Bayside

The planning board voted in favor if the height increase. I was expecting them to vote against it, but they surprised me!

*******Portland board gets behind taller buildings in Bayside

PORTLAND – The Planning Board voted Thursday to allow taller buildings in Bayside to support a high-rise development.
The recommendation, which now goes to the City Council, was opposed by two board members, residents of the area and the neighborhood association.
But board Vice Chairman Stuart O'Brien said new zoning is needed to allow any viable project on the narrow lots of Somerset Street that were once a metal scrapyard.
"These changes are going to be necessary to get the kind of project that fulfills the goals for the city down there," he said. "I feel this is a minor tweak and in a lot of ways a very strong improvement to what is down there."
Miami-based Federated Cos. has 3.25 acres under contract to buy from the city for $2.3 million. The sale is contingent on city approval for Federated's "midtown" project.
Earlier this month, the Planning Board approved a master plan for the development, which envisions 675 market-rate apartments in four 165-foot-tall towers, 1,100 parking spaces in two garages and 1,100 square feet of retail space. The three-phase project could take as long as 10 years to complete.
The first phase is projected to cost about $38 million. It would consist of 180 to 190 market-rate apartments, a six-level parking garage for 705 vehicles and 39,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space.
Federated is seeking a zoning change to allow it to build a 165-foot-tall building near Somerset and Pearl streets, where the height limit is now 105 feet.
Most of the city-owned land is zoned to allow buildings as tall as 125 feet. In certain areas, buildings can be 165 feet tall if they meet certain conditions, including having at least 20 housing units.
The board changed the conditions with Thursday's vote to give planners and developers more flexibility in designing the shape and impact of buildings.
After the vote, Greg Mitchell, the city's economic development director, said, "I think we've witnessed a milestone in terms of advancing the project from a concept more to a detailed reality."
Greg Shinberg, the local developer who has been representing Federated on the project, said, "This really does help to make not only the Federated project work, but any other project in Bayside that is in the taller zone."
Still, he said, much work remains.
The zoning change still needs approval from the City Council, and midtown still must go through the site plan process before construction can begin.
Then there is the challenge of winning over residents who have opposed the scale of the project.
"I do believe people want something, rather than nothing," Shinberg said. "I do understand the concerns about the height. Height is needed if you're going to build a project down there" because the lots are otherwise too small for financially feasible development.
Before Thursday's vote, board members and residents voiced opposition to changing building height limits that were established in an extensive neighborhood planning process.
The Portland Society for Architects has voiced opposition to the height increase, as have 21 members of the Chestnut Street Lofts, where views of Back Cove would be blocked by the towers in Bayside.
A letter to the board dated March 11 indicated that the Bayside Neighborhood Association Board of Directors voted against increasing building heights for midtown.
Board President Steve Hirshon said Thursday that the members are generally excited about the project but oppose the zoning change.
He said, "Whoever is bringing a development forward manages to justify whatever they're doing in terms of the Bayside vision."
The neighborhood plan, "A New Vision for Bayside," was adopted in 2000. The product of two years of work, it incorporated the ideas of hundreds of people over the course of dozens of public meetings.
The process eventually produced the current height limits, which were established in 2006. Buildings as tall as 165 feet are allowed in certain areas, but buildings are limited to 105 feet in other areas so they do not overshadow existing buildings.
The Bayside plan calls for more housing, dense development, accommodations for public transportation and a walkable community. It also highlights the need for structured parking to support businesses.
Federated has received $9 million in public money to help fund one of the parking garages.
"I don't think this project is inconsistent with (the plan)," said Planning Board member Sean Dundon.
But board member Elizabeth Boepple, who cast the only vote against the new height limit, said she could not support changing the zoning to accommodate a specific project.
"I think a project should be driven by what the rules are," she said.
Board member Jack Soley did not attend Thursday's meeting but submitted a written statement opposing the zoning change.

I really need to stop reading the comments on any Press Herald article related to development in this city. By the general tone of the comments, you'd think developers are planning to clear all of Portland and replace it with 50-story monolithic towers.

Hard to believe that over 100 years ago the local press and Portland citizens were not as concerned when the Fidelity Building was topped out at 11 floors and 135 feet! It was the second tallest building in New England at the time and was eclipsed by the 12 story Chapman Building 14 years later. My parents met and dated in Portland in the 50's and still mention how much they used to enjoy visiting the Top of the East on the 14th level of the Eastland. Never did they complain that the building was too tall or had a negative impact on the city skyline.

Appears that the community was more forward thinking back then and truly embraced civic pride. Nowadays we tend to place more emphasis on the feelings of the vocal minority which has hindered or defeated numerous lofty developments in Portland during the past couple of decades. Patrick for Mayor!

They need to reduce the Parking spaces , 705 spaces a disgusting amount. It should be 160 , encourage Transit and walking as primary modes of Transportation.

I really need to stop reading the comments on any Press Herald article related to development in this city. By the general tone of the comments, you'd think developers are planning to clear all of Portland and replace it with 50-story monolithic towers.

I've tried to stop reading all comments on the PPH site, it really isn't good for my blood pressure or sense of civic pride. If one were to just read the comments on the PPH and not the actual articles they might be led to believe that Portland is the murder capital of the world (and other falsehoods that I will refrain from venting about).

Portlander said:
Hard to believe that over 100 years ago the local press and Portland citizens were not as concerned when the Fidelity Building was topped out at 11 floors and 135 feet!

I'm actually curious now to dig up some old copies of the local newspapers (back when we had more than just one) to see how people reacted to the construction of our original "skyscrapers." I think you are right that people were, on the whole, more forward thinking back then. But maybe it's just an illusion and a hundred years from now people will view us in the same light as they traverse Portland in their single occupancy hover-cars and hover-SUVs .

Nexis4jersey said:
They need to reduce the Parking spaces , 705 spaces a disgusting amount. It should be 160 , encourage Transit and walking as primary modes of Transportation.

I'm okay with building that many spaces as long as it reduces the pressure to build even more parking garages in this neighborhood. If they could somehow blend the necessary parking inside of a "complete building" then I think that would be a good step that would please most everyone. I'm not sure why parking garages always end up always being stand-alone structures (zoning?). Thinking long-term, I'd love to see the planning board draft some sort of "parking maximum" wording into the city codes as opposed to only having a "parking minimum." (Someone please correct me if we actually do have parking maximums, that would make me happy).

I'm really shocked that the planning board made this decision. I am so accustomed to seeing Portland make decisions that please a vocal few to the detriment of everybody else who is just trying to live and/or do business in the city. It will be interesting to see what the city council has to say.

I think one challenge of this property, at least in getting retail customers there on foot, will be convincing the public how close Bayside is to downtown. Before I started working in the AAA Building I never noticed how close downtown is to the area.

It's a fact of life that living in Maine pretty much requires a car. Residents living in a Bayside apartment are going to have a car and they're going to need a place to park it. Most people visiting the retail outlets are likely going to want to get there by car as well (see the jammed lots of Whole Foods and Trader Joes.)

Corey.....good point on the parking garages. Yeah, for some reason it seems like Portland has defined a parking garage as a stand alone big box structure that rises into the sky. There is no blending......there is no attachment to overall design developments.......you know there is a problem when many parking structures in Portland have become THE main focus of the skyline.

I think that some of you are way too obsessed with the height thing. I've never had a problem with the height of buildings.......just their placement and design. Some of you seem as bad as the anti-height people........hoping that they build a bunch of "tall buildings" just for the sake of saying that Portland has a "tall building".

I'm really shocked that the planning board made this decision. I am so accustomed to seeing Portland make decisions that please a vocal few to the detriment of everybody else who is just trying to live and/or do business in the city. It will be interesting to see what the city council has to say.

I think one challenge of this property, at least in getting retail customers there on foot, will be convincing the public how close Bayside is to downtown. Before I started working in the AAA Building I never noticed how close downtown is to the area.

It's a fact of life that living in Maine pretty much requires a car. Residents living in a Bayside apartment are going to have a car and they're going to need a place to park it. Most people visiting the retail outlets are likely going to want to get there by car as well (see the jammed lots of Whole Foods and Trader Joes.)

You need to start to change that and it isn't that hard to do so....

Things to make Maine a nice place to live without a car
-Regional Rail Network connecting Portland to Rockland , Lewiston , and Augusta with Seasonal Service to Old Orchard Beach
-Extend the Downeaster up to Old Town
-Reactivate Rail Service to Montreal/Quebec
-Build a New Muti-Modal Station at Congress Street to connect the Commuter Rail to Streetcar and Bus System
-Lewiston , Augusta , and Bangor would also get Muti-Modal Stations to tie into the Regional Transportion Network
-Create a Streetcar/Light Rail System servicing every Neighborhood in Portland , South Portland and Westbrook
-Add bike lanes to every Street in Portland , South Portland , Lewiston , Auburn , Augusta and Bangor
-Create a Pathway system connecting each town and city
-Add or Expand the Sidewalks on every Major and Secondary Street
-Encourage TOD around every Station and Bus Stop in Maine
-Fit all the buses with bike racks

Last edited:
Pending Potential Publication as a Letter to the Editor:

Portland’s Planning Board should be commended for its recommendation to approve variations in existing height restrictions to permit a proposal to construct a high-rise neighborhood dubbed “Midtown” in Bayside. This project, if built, will enliven presently dreary streets, pump new vitality into a neighborhood that wants the same, and present a dramatic urban gateway to Maine’s largest city. However, the project is not without its detractors. Some opine that it conflicts with the vision expressed in the plan justifying the zoning pursuant to which it will be built: A New Vision for Bayside. Others simply oppose blocked views. While none of these concerns are illegitimate per se, the Planning Board was correct to see past their emotional veneers and adhere to its primary legal role of examining whether the zoning changes proposed are in ‘basic harmony’ with Portland’s Comprehensive Plan. That standard is, for better or worse, amazingly easy to satisfy. In that sense, then, planning mandates are less a means of legally controlling zoning outcomes, and more a means of ensuring a defined level of forethought precedes substantive regulatory changes that impact personal property rights. In other words, rarely will a particular project not legally align with an underlying plan; the question of whether it does and subsequent thought process such inquiry prompts are the true benefits of linking plans to regulatory action. Here, the Planning Board conducted a thorough review of the available evidence and made a reasonable determination. The City Council, as Portland’s legislative body, must now take this conclusion under advisement as it decides how to proceed. As it does, it should note the scale of this project is, in an absolute sense, still relatively minor. It is also worth noting that it constrains sprawl and rejuvenates an area sorely in need of a little TLC.

You need to start to change that and it isn't that hard to do so....

Things to make Maine a nice place to live without a car
-Regional Rail Network connecting Portland to Rockland , Lewiston , and Augusta with Seasonal Service to Old Orchard Beach
-Extend the Downeaster up to Old Town
-Reactivate Rail Service to Montreal/Quebec
-Build a New Muti-Modal Station at Congress Street to connect the Commuter Rail to Streetcar and Bus System
-Lewiston , Augusta , and Bangor would also get Muti-Modal Stations to tie into the Regional Transportion Network
-Create a Streetcar/Light Rail System servicing every Neighborhood in Portland , South Portland and Westbrook
-Add bike lanes to every Street in Portland , South Portland , Lewiston , Auburn , Augusta and Bangor
-Create a Pathway system connecting each town and city
-Add or Expand the Sidewalks on every Major and Secondary Street
-Encourage TOD around every Station and Bus Stop in Maine
-Fit all the buses with bike racks

Easy to say on paper, not so easy to do with the check book Maine has to work with. ;-)

Many of these things are in the works to some degree, but it will take decades and billions of dollars to do what you propose. You also need to consider this:

(1) Only about 13% of the total population of the Portland metro area actually lives in Portland. Only about 21% of the total total population of the Portland metro area actually lives in Portland, South Portland or Westbrook. In other words, the majority of the population lives in the suburbs. Meanwhile, a much higher percentage of the Portland metro area works in Portland. It would take a VASTLY improved (yet still low-cost to the traveler) public transportation network to get people away from their cars.

(2) The average high temperature in Portland between December and mid-March is less than 40 degrees, while the average low temperature is between 13 and 25 degrees. Without a VASTLY improved public transportation network where people have to wait less than 5 minutes for a bus/train/trolley, people are going to want to take their cars instead.

From my perspective, you can't totally downplay or rule out the need for adequate parking. I've mentioned it before, but this whole area is hopefully going to be developed with a mix of office and residential buildings. However, no company is going to want to move to the area if there is not adequate parking for their employees that do not live within walking or biking range. No demand for office space or signed tenants means that no office buildings will be constructed. The days of speculative building for office space are long gone.

JsHqS3f.jpg

buvegbS.jpg

I'm curious to see how well those buildings age. Not just design-wise, but the construction itself. I like that they're not boring boxy buildings, but they also don't really scream "Portland, Maine" to me either.

Any news of the Master plan submitted to the planning board last night for Midtown?

http://www.portlandmaine.gov/planning.htm

There were too many damn pages for me to tell what was new or old. Didn't see any new pics
New renderings on the portland planning board website of the first building for Midtown. It is listed under the Somerset, Elm & Chestnut Streets heading, Applicant's Submittal.

the renderings arent bad....design looks more modern than i expected. Id like to see tge rest of the renderings

Article on the PPH website today about the most recent plans for phase one that were submitted to the planning board. My first reaction to the building was generally positive as far as the massing and the overall look. I was kind of hoping that the parking garage would have something (retail, restaurant, just not a long blank wall) going on at ground level though. Or maybe this rendering just doesn't show that level of detail.

midtown%20image%20August%2027%202013.jpeg

Looks far better than I expected based on some of the earlier preliminary drawings. Will be a welcome addition to the skyline as viewed from Back Cove and I 295.

Corey I think the details of the garage are far better than that pic.

Lol at the person talking about hoping for more brick. Yeah, and I wish for more cold days in the winter.

Back