Portland Bayside

A quick West Bayside phone photo:

xbaBP3I.jpg

Flooding is never -THAT- bad. Most water comes into the neighborhood via storm drains and natural accumulation. The Prebble st. extension near Hannaford isn't actually the most flood-prone area (although it does flood sometimes) The soccer fields between 295 and Back Cove also flood regularly now. The most frequent temporary lakes in Bayside are usually along Somerset near Whole Foods and Marginal Way near World Gym / UHaul.

Thanks for the info!

I've noticed for quite awhile that the VIP Bus parcel at Franklin and Fox has been on the market - not sure if this has been mentioned here elsewhere. I assume it must be listed pretty high if there aren't any takers? I wasn't able to quickly find a price (or exactly what is for sale), Cardente's site seems to have an issue and it wasn't listed on LoopNet. Would be a great location for some tall residential - Whole Foods across the street, coffee shop in walking distance, many breweries.

While I was on LoopNet I noticed that the Public Market garage (22.5M) and the church that was Grace (3.73M) are for sale - I seem to remember Grace being for sale for awhile? Hope it stays a restaurant/bar.

I am really astonished that none of these red parcels have developed at all. They're flat, easily, accessible and surrounded by popular destinations and services. I understand issues related to stormwater and flooding, but it just amazes me we have these totally vacant and disused parcels in the middle of the peninsula. It's such a void.

I know that soil and bedrock in this area is very poor, which makes pile driving and steel construction much more expensive, but development here doesn't even need to be spectacularly tall. Imagine a neighborhood of 5-6 story residential buildings with easy access to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, breweries, trails and a 10-15 minute walk to every point downtown. It would be a great place to live and a great mid-density neighborhood.

I know that there was an early-stage proposal for a 6 story multifamily building at the corner of Somerset and Franklin (the current Verizon store) but it was a victim of Covid and the GND

1638833651908.png

Agreed - they're taking care of the flooding issues, though, so one less thing to worry about. But also, ugh, all that wasted space west of Franklin. Let's get that garage built and then fill in some of those surface lots.

My dream for Bayside ... fill every possible wasted lot (quick and sloppy):

Attachments

• Bayside1.JPG
    Bayside1.JPG
    436 KB · Views: 121
  • Bayside2.JPG
    Bayside2.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Bayside3.JPG
    Bayside3.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Woah, Port Property has filed an MDP for over 800 housing units plus some commercial space. I'm sure this was planned before their recent announcement of their property purchases in West Bayside. Can't wait to see some renderings!

Whoa! Almost twice as many homes as the failed 'Midtown' proposal a decade ago!

Also note they're planning a 19% net reduction in parking: there are 1,216 existing parking spaces on these properties, and they're proposing to have 988 in their final product.

The locations include most of their recently acquired properties. This is gonna be a massive proposal!

1671238130053.png

394,000 sq. ft of retail and commercial space? Am I reading that right??? Surely they must mean 39,400? Maybe that number includes existing commercial that will remain?

That's a gargantuan amount of commercial space...

For comparison:
One City Center is 215,000 sq. ft. of retail and office
The Forest Ave. Hannaford is 72,000 Sq. Ft

Last edited:
View attachment 31918
394,000 sq. ft of retail and commercial space? Am I reading that right??? Surely they must mean 39,400? Maybe that number includes existing commercial that will remain?

That's a gargantuan amount of commercial space...

For comparison:
One City Center is 215,000 sq. ft. of retail and office
The Forest Ave. Hannaford is 72,000 Sq. Ft
How many sq. ft. of parking does 1CC have?

So maybe the question can be answered with the numbers we have in the submission so far? They've listed 988 parking spaces and 160 bike parking spaces for just over 800 units of residential. So it does sound like 'no parking' for commercial (tho there must be *some* as commercial can require a *ridiculous* number spaces per sq. ft.). OR are they planning on leveraging the existing big garage in the portfolio? So intriguing.

The garage, at 315 Cumberland, is included as part of the MDP, so it will likely be utilized to fulfill some of the parking requirements.

I believe Port Property is only a property management company. They don't have a portfolio of developed properties? I do think they are smart buying up these Bayside properties though. No matter what they build they will make a hefty profit. Bayside has a great future for both living and working. There is very little available in the Portland area real estate listings--nearly all that are, are seemingly overpriced. Portland is on fire, and I don't mean the 1866 kind.

I believe Port Property is only a property management company. They don't have a portfolio of developed properties? I do think they are smart buying up these Bayside properties though. No matter what they build they will make a hefty profit. Bayside has a great future for both living and working. There is very little available in the Portland area real estate listings--nearly all that are, are seemingly overpriced. Portland is on fire, and I don't mean the 1866 kind.
Aren't they the ones building 52 Hanover? Or is Tom Watson doing it under a different entity?

Back