Portland Building Heights

MartinS

Reaction score
As most of you know I contribute building information (mainly height) to Emporis.com, CTBUH and Wikipedia. We all know those lists are seriously lacking in data. However, because of my input as well as that of others, it's A LOT better that what it used to be - which was almost nonexistent or BS. Sometimes though I run into a brick wall when doing my research. So, I thought that maybe if I involve you, the Archboston community, to help me out, I can get some good data to send up to those sites for verification.

Let's start of with 465 Congress Street. On Emporis (EMP) and Wikipedia it lists an architectural height of 135 feet (134.51 ft EMP) and roof height of 130 feet (EMP). On the Skyscraperpage it lists a height of 131 feet or 40 meters. Go to https://egweb.portlandmaine.gov/Ene...6-df3a-47e8-bf58-7ec873a36ed4?tab=attachments Click on 465 Congress_v5.pdf in the lower center. Go to page 31. Roof height is listed at 135'4" and I estimate the architectural height at 147'4" (est. parapet 146'). Comments? Suggestions? More editing will most likely follow.

Last edited:
I applaud your efforts over the years Martin, researching actual building heights can be a difficult task. To the best of my knowledge, the Fidelity Building is 135' to the roof which does not include the approximately 4 feet of decorative fringe. Height to the corner parapets which include the fringe is around 146' so you are very close with your projections. As far as Emporis goes, it's absurd that the main cluster of Portland's tallest are ranked from 49-56th and found on the 3rd page. I realize it's due to estimated heights instead of documented sources but there should be a common sense solution for this issue which may be using floor counts in instances where the true height in feet cannot be verified. In addition, transmission towers (does anyone actually care) should have their own section and not included in the actual building pages.

Last edited:
I've found a couple sources that indicate a height of about 148'.

1) The Maine Memory Network has a digital copy of an assessor's record of 465 Congress Street from 1924 that indicates a height of 148' 5".

2) The parcels map viewer provided by the City of Portland contains information that also appears to suggest the building is 148'. I may be reading it incorrectly but it appears to indicate the first floor is 28', the mezzanine is 12', and nine following floors are 12' each. That totals 148'.

What do you think?

Back