Portland Foreside | 58 Fore Street | Portland

4F9906C9-AFC2-4994-A48B-EE2AC24F7024.jpeg
As seen from Moontide Park

"Darth Vader's new headquarters." Prentice posted a pic of this on his LinkedIn. He said it was a "mockup." I guess that means it's coming down, and the final will be inserted onto the aluminum framework that's going up. Personally, I don't like it. It should be all glass, but not reflective. But then again, it would reflect the water, so that might look nice (like the Hancock Tower reflecting the clouds).

Last edited:
I think those windows look really great in person - we'll see how the smaller windows on the side/back end up looking. So far so good.

The contrast between the old brick building restoration and the new black framed glass building will make each stand out even more. In general, whenever two contrasting elements are juxtaposed, each becomes accentuated. It makes me think of the old Trinity Church and the Hancock Tower juxtaposition in Boston's Back Bay, of which is nothing but magnificent. This could become Portland's hot spot for hanging out.

I walked around the walkway around the east end and looked at the progress so far and was amazed of how much has progressed. You have to remember what it was 15 years ago to today. I know everyone wants everything built in a day, but its not going to happen. The marina is the happening place right now.. outdoor bar, etc..alot of young people hanging out.. city of Portland revamped park with swings..hey its not top notch but it looks great with the funds. Narrow gauge Railroad seems to do well ...my vision would be to bring train service to Montreal but not holding my breath.

The architecture of this building reminds me of Memorial Coliseum in Portland, OR. This area would have been a nice area for a new 12k seat arena. But instead we get a shiny new office building looking like it should be in an office park in South Portland 😄

Last edited:
The architecture of this building reminds me of Memorial Coliseum in Portland, OR. This area would have been a nice area for a new 12k seat arena. But instead we get a shiny new office building looking like it should be in an office park in South Portland 😄
Agree. An opportunity lost. Although, Sun Life will have an easier time recruiting with this location along with its stunning rooftop deck (WEX has benefitted by this location too). As far as the new soccer stadium, I've suggested the piece of land that Waynflete plays its sports on, of which is adjacent to Thompson's Point. Waynflete has two soccer fields, and surely something can be worked out as there is enough space for a small or even medium sized stadium (Google Map it). A simple wide footbridge can be built to connect Thompson's Point. It's now immediate access to the bus and train stations, as well as the new parking garage that is planned. But perhaps the biggest draw would be the food and drink options on Thompson's Point. People want to hang out before and after the game. Fenway Park comes to mind, especially with its new and MAGNIFICENT Time Out Market down the street. Its a re-conceptualized food court idea (European) with a lot of drinking (woohoo!). This is simply the best idea I've seen for a food and drink court, with Trillium's outdoor beer patio immediately outside. Am I crazy? Is this a crazy idea to be in this location? Or, do we do something dumb like locate it next to a tank farm in South Portland?

Last edited:
Having grown up partially in the Congress Terrace neighborhood (the area served by Hobart Street) and played in the woods where Waynflete is now, I'd have concerns about traffic if the parking were to be on-site, since Hobart is the only way in and out. And the Thompson's Point parking garage... is that still in the plan? Seeing as the spot that was going to be the arena for the Red Claws or the circus school is now becoming the home for a brewery warehouse?

Also, personally, I'm much more interested in having more office work downtown than a stadium, tbh.

I walked around the walkway around the east end and looked at the progress so far and was amazed of how much has progressed. You have to remember what it was 15 years ago to today. I know everyone wants everything built in a day, but its not going to happen...

Even just 7 years ago. From 2014:
Above the Eastern Promenade by Corey Templeton, on Flickr

Back