Portland Foreside | 58 Fore Street | Portland

I listened to some of the planning board workshop the other day. The developers are offering to make some changes to open the water up to the public and make it less ugly generally, but still as part of a conditional use for up to 3 years while they work towards achieving what was laid out in the master development plan. Public comment was generally negative. They've got to come back to the Board again for a public hearing, I expect there will be a compromise to allow them to keep some of what's there while making some quick fixes to remediate some of the objectionable stuff.

I wish they had found a better way to deal with HVAC than putting it right in front of the Portland Co sign in an ugly structure. Going to reserve final judgement until the deck (?) on the water side of the building is finished, but not digging it so far.

IMG_3841.JPG

They could at least stain or paint the wood slats to match the window trim and maybe they will in the future.

So now people walking around get to hear an HVAC system three feet away whirling and whining and grinding along? I think he wants his ego stroked with his restaurant sitting front and center. If Jim Brady was still part of this development (forced out) he would've ruled over this idea.

So now people walking around get to hear an HVAC system three feet away whirling and whining and grinding along? I think he wants his ego stroked with his restaurant sitting front and center. If Jim Brady was still part of this development (forced out) he would've ruled over this idea.
Forced out, or walked out? Admittedly all I know about that level of intrigue I heard in this forum.

I assume the HVAC shed is because historical preservation limited what changes they could make to the building itself.

The everything being way darker than the renderings makes the building look better, but I still don't really like it. And doesn't it feel like it needs at least 3 more floors?

If they could have just broken up the length of that building....and I really don't like the exterior charcoal/black color either. Maybe it will look better on sunny days but in these pics it reminds me of dreary Eastern Europe. They did not take advantage of their proximity to the ocean/water at all.

For some reason I thought Phase 1 was Sun Life (Building 1A) and Building 12. The original submission does mention Phase 1 being Block 1 (1A and 12), Block 2 (the 7 historic buildings), and Block 4 (initial levels of parking garage) - has anyone seen plans for Block 2 or 4? Am I missing something in CSS?

Horrible looking building. Why would anyone think it would be attractive especially in this waterfront location. It truly could have been a beautiful building but it never will be. Shame on the architects.

i actually admire the way this building contrasts the warm, horizontal earth-tones of the historic brick buildings the developers are preserving by cladding a long, horizontal form with a vertically patterned, earth-toned form with gray-and-glass cladding. There’s a dynamic tension there that is engaging.

i actually admire the way this building contrasts the warm, horizontal earth-tones of the historic brick buildings the developers are preserving by cladding a long, horizontal form with a vertically patterned, earth-toned form with gray-and-glass cladding. There’s a dynamic tension there that is engaging.
Yes, it certainly does produce contrast and dynamic tension that is engaging (somewhat). But is the design ideal for this location? I would accept this building with more glass, or one inspired by USM's Wishcamper Center. The Wishcamper Center feels high-tech and futuristic, and this new one makes me think of the IBM Corporation or the Central Intelligence Agency, circa 1970s, with a bit more attitude (black). But if they populate the rooftop deck with employees lunching or happy-houring (a la Roux) in the summer, that will help "fun the feel" here. Add some colorful Cinzano umbrellas on the rooftop like you see on the water in Cannes and Montecarlo. Killer views of the boats, that's for sure.

The building has exterior lighting so at least it won't be a black blob at night. I found the cut sheet in the OS and it seems like they are RGBW, so color will be an option should they choose to use it. Also, notice how the front part of the building bumps out - I really dislike how they handled this with the corrugated cladding on the back side (same that they are using for the top border and corners) - it just feels like a cheap afterthought.

IMG_4309.JPG

It just feels so blah.....more glass would have reflected the moods of Portland as the weather changes. It looks like a prison.

Back