Portland Foreside | 58 Fore Street | Portland

“An armchair critic is a person who knows or pretends to know a lot about something in theory rather than practice.”
You're a funny guy but your comment assumes you know me. However, you don't. My education is in multiple aspects of design and I have been involved in urban design, landscape and architectural design for over 40 years. You?

You're a funny guy but your comment assumes you know me. However, you don't. My education is in multiple aspects of design and I have been involved in urban design, landscape and architectural design for over 40 years. You?
Thank you for asking. Over my 32-year career, I’ve been a designer, creative director, leading creative teams in media, advertising amd product development for brands like Fidelity Investments, Mercedes-Benz, and WSJ, and in any creative review or design-thinking sessions I’ve always asked participants to give constructive criticism and have some empathy for whomever produced the work. That said, I recognize this may not be the forum for that kind of social contract. I’m just really interested in watching the fabric of this city evolve and of all the “wins and losses” on this thread, I genuinely think this one is much closer to a win than a loss. Thanks again for chatting.

At least sign have color
8DF03389-4A34-47A7-85F1-515B812646B1.png

The rusty chain link fence has come down between the cluster of sheds and the fenced off fire pit. They've done some minor landscaping to make the stretch accessible to the public. They also replaced the fence around the sheds with something more permeable. I believe both of these changes came out of the PB meeting last October where Portland Foreside had to deal with their 'ask for forgiveness' approach.

Also: enough already with the utility poles. I sure hope these are temporary.

IMG_4579.JPG

It seems like they've completely cleaned up and leveled off this site but there's still a section of the old building remaining. I'm wondering if there might be a plan to use this in the future?

IMG_4587.JPG

The rusty chain link fence has come down between the cluster of sheds and the fenced off fire pit. They've done some minor landscaping to make the stretch accessible to the public. They also replaced the fence around the sheds with something more permeable. I believe both of these changes came out of the PB meeting last October where Portland Foreside had to deal with their 'ask for forgiveness' approach.

Also: enough already with the utility poles. I sure hope these are temporary.

View attachment 24161

But power poles/lines have become more synonymous with Portland than brick! How could we live without them?

The developers have said the poles are "temporary" in the sense that their master development plan includes putting all power underground, but it will likely be several years before it happens (if it happens).

I walked by here yesterday and saw the changes they've made to the marina site as penance for previously acting without concern for codes, zoning or the law. It's an improvement for sure but I'm hoping they're planning to do additional landscaping / sprucing up because it's pretty ragged as is.

Seems like they demolished those buildings so they can... building a bigger parking lot! Doesn't seem like they are going to pave it, though.

I am sure there are more than sufficient original buildings left to kill whoever dares to enter them. That tower and catwalk near Fore St. look particularly "hold my beer and watch this!"

I walked by here yesterday and saw the changes they've made to the marina site as penance for previously acting without concern for codes, zoning or the law. It's an improvement for sure but I'm hoping they're planning to do additional landscaping / sprucing up because it's pretty ragged as is.

I walked through there this morning and frankly, it looks like crap. They covered the new walkway with crushed-up clam shells which are very unpleasant to walk on, even with rugged shoes. It feels like they did the bare minimum to open this space up to the public. Sure it's technically a step up from the chainlink fence, but not by much.

They've now posted signs on the 'public access' section that say Phase 1 and that "enhancements" are coming in the fall. Bunch of stuff spray painted on the crushed shells.

Back